1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers tells Chargers fans to SHUT UP !!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3128946

Monday, November 26, 2007

Rivers says he loves Chargers fans after telling them to shut up

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Philip Rivers didn't deny that he told booing fans to shut up early in Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens.
    Rivers had just completed an eight-yard pass on third down to Legedu Naanee, which was a yard short of a first down on San Diego's first offensive series. The fans at Qualcomm Stadium booed for the second straight play; the first time was when LaDainian Tomlinson was stuffed for no gain on second down.

Video replays appeared to show Rivers telling the fans to shut up. The Chargers would go on to beat the Ravens 32-14 to take a one-game lead over Denver in the AFC West.

Rivers said he understands why the fans were steamed.

"Again, it's an emotional game. To be honest with you, I love the fans," Rivers said with a laugh on Monday. "I mean, I really do. It was early in the game, it was the first series, you're coming off a completion. and it wasn't necessarily for me, it was kind of like for our team, like saying, 'Hey, relax a little bit.'

"But again, we understand some of their frustrations in a sense that we were 5-5 and expectations were so high. Again, it was nothing more than that. Shoot, we've all told our sibling or brother to shut up before and then you love them five minutes later, so I hope that's the case."

As the game unfolded, the Chargers (6-5) played the way everyone anticipated they would this year. Rivers threw three touchdown passes, including two to All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates, and went interception-free for just the third time this season. Tomlinson had a quietly efficient game and became the 23rd player in NFL history to rush for more than 10,000 yards, and the defense regained its aggressiveness.

Still, the Chargers know it was just one game. They've been wildly inconsistent in Norv Turner's first season as head coach. They've been downright brutal on the road, going 1-4, and they'll play three of their last five games away from Qualcomm.

Up first is a visit to division rival Kansas City. The Chiefs beat the Chargers 30-16 on Sept. 30 by rallying for 24 straight points. Rivers had two interceptions and a fumble, which rookie Tyron Brackenridge returned 50 yards for a score.

Playing better against the Ravens started with Rivers taking care of the ball. Coming in, he led the NFL with 17 turnovers.

"You don't turn it over, you throw completions, usually on offense you keep moving the ball and you give yourselves a chance," Rivers said. "Our defense created some turnovers and played well. We were able to get a lead, then slam the door."

Rivers said there was no surprise in the locker room that the defending AFC West champion Chargers could play that way.

"We just hadn't done it yet," he said. "So I think there are still a lot of things we can clean up and a lot of ways we can get better. We've got to make sure we keep getting better and we keep cleaning little things up so we can get on a roll because there's no room for error at this point."

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Good for him. Bunch of azz clowns parading around as fans. :tdown:

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    :yes:

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_eek: BOOOOOOOO! :icon_eek:

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, the idiots who even talked about benching him deserve to be told to shut the phucq up.

He's the QB for at least the next 5 games this year, and all 16 games next year. Get used to it.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Even though we picked off Peyton Manning 6 times, Rivers still managed to have a LOWER QB Rating. The brother has not helped himself in that regard.

Come to think of it, it may help in getting Rivers resigned for cheaper. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    For booing? Please.

I don't know what it is about booing that has so many of you guys so upset. If he doesn't like it, he can go play intramurals brother. :yes:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mF9jh4xALxE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mF9jh4xALxE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I don't think I have ever Boo'd the team and it should not be a big deal if fans decide to boo. It is their right to cheer and boo as they see fit.

Some of you cats sound like communists. :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Just more proof he doesnt have the mental strength to be a hall of fame QB

He gets rattled so easily and has the thinnest skin of any Qb this side of Joey Harrington

This is the same as him pulling a mike vick and flipping the bird to the home crowd

Personally, i lost ANY faith i had left in him after that and will find it hard to ever support him again

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That to me is the words of a team leader!!!! :yes:

If he flipped them off, that would be a different story but like he said "it wasn't necessarily for me, it was kind of like for our team, like saying, 'Hey, relax a little bit.'"

It was still early in the game and he wanted the crowd to back the team through out the rest of the game!!!
    No different than if he saw a teammate giving another teammate a hard time.

PROPS TO RIVERS!!!! :tup:

11. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    There are better ways to do that then tell fans, that want to see the team succeed and paid $100+ each, to shut up

How about being a REAL QB and just hand motion the crowd to quite down? how about just sucking it up and MAKING them shut with his play?

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Alright I can appreciate that. But anybody that boos after our first offensive possession goes 3 and out is only exposing themselves as pretty ignorant. But I suppose that is their right. :yes:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I believe that's just what he did.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup, people have a right to look stupid, like the fans who booed after the first incomplete pass.

Yeah, and using the excuse of "well, I paid my $100, so that gives me the right to boo"....

Just like if I paid $50 to see a theatrical production and yelled out "You suck!" to the people on the stage, annoying everyone in the audience. I paid my money, I should be able to be loud, obnoxious, and rude during the performance. Acting like a drunken idiot is always fun.

Same thing with paying $8 to go see a movie. If I don't like it, I should be able to yell out "This movie sucks ***!" loudly for everyone to hear. When they look back and tell me to "SSSHHHHH!!!!", I have the right to tell them to "phucq off" since I paid my money, I can act however I want. Then I'll pull out my cell phone and begin talking to someone loudly as a gesture.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

If it's late in the 4th quarter and we're down by ten points... then it would be one thing but now when it's the first quarter and we're down 7-3.

Have you ever heard of "12 man on the field?"
    What wrong with demanding that when you're playing on your turf!!

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    How's that QB of yours doing up there in New York City?

17. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    If he would of done JUST that (without the SHUT UP stuff) that would be great, but him doing that by itself proves he doesnt have the mental make up of a great one

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :icon_rofl:

Dude do you really think Whitehurst can lead this team right now? Or are you willing to take a huge step backwards and start the guy? Gawd man at least TRY and hide your blatant bias..... :unsure:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Initially, when I heard about this I thought to myself, who the fuc does he think he is and fuc him. :yes:

Then, I came to my senses. This is about freedom. :flag:

Jammer exercised that same right a few years ago when he alienated a lot of fans by calling them idiots. :tup:

I happened to agree with Jammer and did not look down on him stating the obvious and that is the fact we have some fans who are functionally illiterate and one step away from brain atrophy.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The only good thing out of this is the fans have pizzed off the chargers which is good. The chargers needed a cattle prod to get them going again. The chargers are an odd team. THey have so much talent that they tend to want to rest on thier laurels. To get them to play thier best(which is very good) they need to have their backs against the wall or people berating them. The best thing you can do to get the chargers to win is berate them. THen they get pizzed and can and will kill any team in the way.

Sometimes crazy fans can help.

21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Totally agree that they're actually playing like they have a chip on their shoulder again. Instead of looking like a bunch of guys expecting plays to come to them they actually looked hungry on Sunday.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Sometimes we forget the word "fan" is a contraction of the word "fanatical".

Otherwise, this stuff would be boring.

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    [​IMG]

24. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Really dumb examples. Booing is a part of sports and has been since the beginning of time. I've heard people boo at baseball, hockey, soccer, and basketball games. I have heard people boo at high school and college games. I heard people boo Brees, Flutie, and the countless losers that we have had at QB before that. They booed Fouts, Elway, Montana, and Unitas.

This is a joke that people are upset about it. :lol:

25. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, fans are fanatical. Its what makes us tick. Passion. Good to have passion.

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    [​IMG]

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The interesting thing is it appears to have made rivers better. Some qb's will give up or say snuck you to the fans and not try their best. Rivers went out there and kicked some butt. I think we've got a good one. As long as the o-line can give him time I think he can get us a lombardi or two.

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    And you ACTUALLY think that would've worked? If anything, that would have resulted in PEOPLE BOOING LOUDER.

Sounds like you're the one who's feelings are hurt after what Rivers did.

29. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Oh great, so now I'm stuck saying booer's are lame but everyone agrees it made the team better... great, fine, go booo all you want I guess. :icon_shrug: :lol: