1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers to play on Friday despite decimated OL

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not feeling very comfortable with this decision .... Who's gonna handle the pre-game hit on Jared Allen?

CHARGERS NOTES: Despite decimated offensive line, Rivers expected to play Friday
    [​IMG]

Philip Rivers might have to deal with significant pressure on Friday against Minnesota, with so many offensive linemen expected to sit out due to injury. (BILL WECHTER | bwechter@nctimes.com)

SAN DIEGO ---- The Chargers' offensive line is in shambles.
    As many as three starting linemen won't play in Friday's exhibition against the Minnesota Vikings, leaving their most valuable player vulnerable.
    Chargers coach Norv Turner didn't say so directly, but intimated that quarterback Philip Rivers will play despite a lack of starting talent up front.
    Center Nick Hardwick (concussion) and left tackle Jared Gaither (back) definitely won't go, and a pair of rookies will start in their place. If left guard Tyronne Green (foot) can't play, then, front left to right, undrafted rookie Mike Harris, veteran Rex Hadnot and 2012 seventh-round pick David Molk will play alongside regular starters Louis Vasquez and Jeromey Clary.
    That's not the group expected to protect the Chargers' prize possession, but it won't keep Rivers out of the lineup.
    "This is a group that we could be playing opening day with," Turner said. "They're definitely going to be dressed on opening day with where we're at now, and I have a lot of confidence in guys that will line up along the offensive line."
    While it's unlikely, Turner did leave the door open to shut Rivers down.
    "We have a great plan for Philip," he said. "He would be ready to go if he didn't play in the preseason. He's played a lot of football, and we're going to do what we can to get ready to play."
    If precedent remains, Friday is Rivers' last chance to play in the preseason. Turner has held him out of every preseason finale since taking over as head coach in 2007. He also held him out of the second preseason game in 2008, which gave backups Billy Volek and Charlie Whitehurst more snaps.
    "You don't want to get (Rivers) hurt; that's a residual of it," Turner said. "But you get a look at a guy who might end up playing and watch him start with the guys he'd be playing with and get him a ton of snaps."
    Turner could do so again. But it's likely that Rivers will play against the Vikings, but for a shorter stretch than the three quarters starters typically play in the third preseason game. While Rivers has thrown just four incompletions in two preseason games, he has three interceptions and the first team has looked disjointed thus far.
    For his part, Rivers has faith in his protection team assembled for Friday's game.
    "You want to have everybody healthy in front of you, but it wouldn't be the first time we've gone without the starting five," Rivers said. "Guys have to step up, and I believe they will. It's not the first group up front right now, but we're confident in them."

Hardwick feeling better
    Turner said that Hardwick is feeling better after suffering a concussion during Tuesday's intersquad practice with the Dallas Cowboys. He is at home for the time being, and will not travel to Minnesota for Friday's exhibition.
    "Nick is feeling better today," Turner said. "He has a concussion, but hopefully the symptoms clear and he's able to come back soon."
    There is no timeline for Hardwick's return, although it's a virtual certainty that he will play not again in the preseason.
    "It's unfortunate, but what Nick needs to do now is get some rest and get healthy again," Rivers said. "At this point in his career, getting practice reps isn't really crucial."
    Get low
    One difference for Rivers will be taking snaps from Molk as opposed to Hardwick. Molk is listed at 6-foot-1 but stands much shorter than that, making it difficult for the 6-5 Rivers and equally tall Charlie Whitehurst to take snaps so low to the ground.
    "It's way down there," Rivers said. "We've kidded him and said we needed those knee savers that catchers wear due to crouching so low. Every center is different, and that's something you have to deal with.
    Et cetera
    The list of injured remains long. C Nick Hardwick (concussion), LG Tyronne Green (foot), LTJared Gaither (back), CB Marcus Gilchrist (hamstring), TE Dante Rosario, ILB Demorrio Williams, NT Antonio Garay (ankle), RB Curtis Brinkley and RB Ryan Mathews (clavicle) missed Wednesday's workout. CB Quentin Jammer and WR Robert Meachem received some veteran rest. CB Shareece Wright and WR Eddie Royal joined the working group. ... The team hosted the Wounded Warriors, a group for military members injured in combat.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    I don't think he will be in there very long, I bet we see a lot of lee in this game.

Sent from my iPhone

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I hope not. With no OL we will either see him under the Vikings D or throwing INTs. Neith of which I would care for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    we go through this every single year. I sure am glad we use our high draft picks on other positions besides the Oline, because everyone knows we can build the Oline through free agency.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He will be in there long enough to throw an INT. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    This isn't the AFC championship game, no need to be a hero. Sit on the bench and let clipboard jesus have a shot at it.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Grow a pair people!!! ;)

These could be the guys playing opening night....... should'nt Rivers at least get a few in game reps with these guys? He won't be playing three quarters, you can bet on that.

8. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Great, I'll be watching the whole game with fear and trepidation for Rivers.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Apparently not....

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Oh, snap!!

I'd have been okay with PR playing a bit...and I'm fine with him sitting it out.

But cue the the crazy guy that will say something like: "See, AJ and Norv really DO read this board!" :roflmao:

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The funny thing is that most of the quotes in above article made it sound like Norv was leaning toward pulling Rivers.
    The headline and Bair's interpretation were obviously a tad off.

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,156
    So Bair shat in these woods?

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Norv needs to grow a pair too. ;)

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah, let's get Rivers hurt in a meaningless game.

That certainly makes sense. :rolleyes:

I think he can work on taking snaps from Mr. Low-rider Molk in practice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    all pre season games are meaningless, if they were then College would have some pre season game also.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    fify

17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    What time does the game start?

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    It's Game Day! Go Bolts!

19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Anyone got a stream?