1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers to possibly miss week 1?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanFromBoston, Jan 21, 2008.

1. BoltFanFromBoston

BoltFanFromBoston BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    From Rotoworld:

Philip Rivers confirmed after Sunday's loss to New England that he will likely need surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.
    Rivers' MCL is also sprained in that knee. The extent of the procedure Rivers would need is unclear, but a reconstruction at this point in the year would put his status for Week 1 in 2008 in doubt. Jan. 20 - 11:41 pm et

I know it is unlikely, but that is scary!

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Either way, nobody should EVER doubt the kid's toughness or courage, ever - EVER - again.

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    exactly, no one better disrespect Rivers ever again cause dood put his career on the line playing yesterday

4. BoltFanFromBoston

Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly admire his toughness, that is for sure. Not many other people in the league would try what he did yesterday. I am not convinced he has the ability to be an elite QB in this league, though. I also think, until he accomplishes a lot more, he needs to stop running his mouth. He is the exact foil of the Bradys and Mannings of the league in that area. In fact, look what they have accomplished and they are the most respectful people in football still.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rivers showed his elite QB status in the Colts game. This guy has turned a corner, and those who have yet to realize it will soon. Do not doubt him. He will make you look foolish.

The whole "Rivers talking" angle is tired. He doesn't say or do anything inappropriate. When Brady and Favre do it, it's cool. People need to get over it. Rivers is not going to change. He's going to continue to play the game with fire and have fun.

6. BoltFanFromBoston

Ratings:
    +0

I hope your right. I am just not convinced. Eli Manning has had some amazing games too but he is inconsistent as hell. I mean ELITE when I say ELITE. He will be good enough to win, though. That is for sure.

As far him talking, I am not so sure. There have been a few times he got into little tussles with fans in the stands, etc. Him "not going to change" does not take away the fact that that is wrong. The QB greats in this league do NOT do that. Even if it were the fans in the stands that started it, could you EVER picture Manning or Brady getting into it with them? I don't know. I don't like that in a QB at all.

7. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I'm convinced.

The guy played two outstanding games on the League's biggest stage, and I think had he not been playing on a shattered knee he would have played three, even four.

He will lead us to the promised land.

8. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I don't want Rivers to be like Manning or Brady.

I want him to be like Rivers.

Break the paradigm. I want people to look at a QB and say, "He's going to be another Philip Rivers in this league", not "He's going to be like this QB who is like this other QB..."

9. bpd196

bpd196 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Longtime fan from NJ, I might get some heat for this comment, but I give Rivers alot of credit for playing. But I don't think he is the future for the bolts. He has played well down the stretch but what is up with his arm strength? All throughout the playoffs the receivers have been open deep and he has not been able to reach them and they have to wait for the ball. Even when he does thow it deep he can't put a spiral on the ball. If you are going to say it is because of his knee, he can't plant, then what is he going to be like after surgery? I don't know of a QB that has come back from ACL surgery any where near what they were before the surgery. We got Volek as an insurance policy when we got rid of Brees if Rivers did not work out. I Think we would've been better off with Volek in this past week. Just my opinion and we should've gone for it on 4th down.

Go bolts !!!!!!

10. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    You should do some fact finding concerning "running his mouth". Rivers is the QB of the Chargers who finished in the top 4 teams in the league and with out two good knees and a HOF RB he helped keep the Pats and their fans on pins and needles for 3 3/4 QT that makes him elite in my book.

11. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    He hit Chambers with a great pass against the Colts to move us into the championship game. He has always "shot putted the ball" and yes some of his passes lack a spiral however he is very accurate as a passer.

If you think Volek would have been better than Rivers you don't follow the club very closely.

12. BoltFanFromBoston

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know. Say what you guys will, be your not thinking this through if you consider a quarterback ELITE after a few outstanding playoff performances. Come back to me when is CONSISTENTLY that great year after year and wins several Super Bowls on top of it.

I guess this is just an issue of semantics, but when you guys say elite you seem to mean "very very good" or even "great". I truly mean ELITE. There have been a ton of quarterbacks to have some awesome playoff games, great wins against great teams, play through injuries, etc.

I mean ELITE. I am not sure he will ever be that.

13. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Uh... unless he gets a botched surgery, he'll be fine. Players in all sports get ACL damage and make full recovery, even in sports like soccer where knee damage can make or break a player.

So what will it be like after the surgery? He'll be able to plant his feet and not have to face the tender soreness and sharp pains of a partially torn ACL.

If you've ever had an ACL injury, your recovery can range from perfect to ineffective. It's all about the rehab and physical therapy that determine how well you heal from the surgery. I had a torn ACL and a pulled hamstring that somehow moved my kneecap way out of place three years ago and after my three physical therapy sessions I did all of the little exercises they told me to do for a good long while - and now my knee is better than ever. A good friend of mine tore his ACL snowboarding and he didn't do the exercises he was given and now he's got knee pain.

Rivers is a professional athlete, so he's working with physiotherapists daily. He'll be making a full recovery. From what he showed us at the start of his Chargers career, the tail end of last season, and in the playoffs - Rivers will be the Chargers leader for a very long time and he'll take us really far.

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    How can he be good year after year when he's only been starting for two years? Rivers was a Pro Bowler his first year starting, and he great when it counted.

Rivers has turned a corner. After next year, he'll be universally recognized as a top 5 QB in this league, and those that doubted him will be backtracking like mad.

15. BoltFanFromBoston

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand it has only been a few years, but I am saying he probably never WILL be an elite QB. I am not talking about the past few years, in which he has been EXTREMELY good. What I say still stands.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That's fine. You're allowed to be wrong. Rivers is special. If you don't see that, you soon will. He makes throws that very few guys in this league can make. He's extremely accurate and a big-time leader. On a bad knee, he outplayed Peyton last week, and on two bad knees, he outplayed Brady this week.

17. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, but you know that there's people out there who will try.

What troubles me most about stuff like that is the fact that these same "thinking" people are actually voting.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    its too much speculation right now since we are not even sure what procedures he'd be going through right now.

19. bpd196

bpd196 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Accurate and arm strength are two different things. He is very accurate within 20 yards, but beyond that he is below adequate. I'll just mention 2 QB in recent history that haven't performed since ACL surgery, Mcnabb and Culpepper. With regards to me following the team, I have been a fan since the late 70's and the day the Sunday ticket was available, I got it and watch every poosible week and if I can't watch I am listening on my Sirius. I hope his arm strength comes back after the knee surgery, because we finally have the receivers to go deep.

Once again go Bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Exactly. In the next several days, we should learn alot more about the injuries to both Rivers and LT. The sooner that we get any surgeries done that need to be taken care of, the sooner that these players will be ready.

I am curious as hell about Rivers. Would a partial tear require the same amount of rehab that a complete tear would? How does that work as far as surgically?

Are we 100% certain it's torn?

21. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Both QB's you mention here are very different types of QB's than Rivers. They both relied heavily on their legs to make plays.

Carson Palmer would be a much better example.

22. BoltFanFromBoston

Ratings:
    +0
    You still do not get it. YES he outplayed them those WEEKS, but to be ELITE you need to outplay them consistently for a LONG time. PR has NOT shown us that. It is downright ridiculous and silly of you to argue someone is an elite QB based on a few performances, no matter how good they were. That is NOT what ELITE means. Great throws, great leader, and very accurate does NOT equal ELITE. It is above and beyond this.

You are arguing that he is a great Quarterback who can take a team very far, and you are absolutely right. But, he is NOT in a category of ELITE, and I do not think he ever will be.

23. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Then how can you draw the conclusion that "he will never be" an Elite QB? You're comparing him to two 5+ year starters who have been in the same systems for most of their careers. Philip is a 2 year starter under two different systems with two different sets of WRs, and he's got a 3-1 win ratio.

How can you say he'll NEVER be an Elite QB when everything he's done so far point to the fact that he's developing into one?

Look into Peyton's first 2 years starting. Tell me if you would have thought he was developing into an "Elite" QB by your standards.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm saying he has shown that he's moving in that direction. Why is it ridiculous for me to look at Rivers' performances and say that he's going to be an elite QB, but it's not ridiculous for you to look at his peformances and say he'll never be an elite QB?

Was Rivers a top 5 QB this year? No. Will he be next year? I believe he will. If you believe the opposite, fine. But you act as if your opinion is supported by the evidence and mine is not.

Rivers has not peaked as a player. When he does, I think you will be proven wrong. Time will tell.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    BTW, this "Rivers may miss week 1" stuff is predicated on him needing reconstructive knee surgery. With a partial ACL tear, there's a good chance that Rivers will just need surgery to repair the tear, and not a full knee reconstruction.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Will it be a scope procedure or a fillet type surgery.

27. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I don't Rivers to be like Brady or Peyton. I don't give a **** if he runs his mouth at some 80 year old lady. The dude can bring it on the field, and I couldn't care less if he isn't a carbon copy of that other guy. I like his fire and his passion, and if anybody gets on his case he lets them know how he feels, whether it's using sarcasm in Tennessee, or jawing at Cutler on the field.

28. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I hope he will be fine and i think he will be hes Rivers .. Now all this arguing going on in this board guys who are saying Rivers will not be an elite QB.they don't know anything Rivers has proven he is beyond great he really is the QB i wanted for this team. THANK THE LORD BREES IS GONE!!!!!! I want Philip to never become a Jerk Brady or a Commercial Peyton.. THEY BOTH SUCK!!!! I want a Rivers and i got it... All u who are questioning him are mentally screwed he played on to bad knees and and outplayed two Elite QBs.. Now your saying because they weren't playing their best well maybe thats because we have a outstanding DEFENSE!!!! Screw Brady and Peyton!!

29. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Is it a complete tear? I thought that it was a partial tear? Is there a difference?

30. boltanthemsinger

boltanthemsinger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Did anybody see the interview with Eli? How lame is he? The brother got the public speaking/acting gene. Eli's more like...a duh, duh duh.

NEXT year is the Bolts year. Mark my words. Continuity in coaching, preparedness by the athletes in the off season. This could very well be the first UNdefeated team, as I believe that the Giants are going to wup the old guys in New England. :abq2:

Oh...and by the way...SCREW SAY OW! Once a showboat, ALWAYS a showboat. I hope this Superbowl is as painful as his last one with us....the sad thing is that we're going to have to listen to and about this geriatric for two weeks more! Arrgghhh!