1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers vs. Brady - 2009

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BeerGuy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    This may win for the largest landslide thread of 2010 on Bolt Talk.:yes:

As slow as Brady started, and as poorly as the team has played, Brady's stats don't look that bad.

Brady has more yards than Rivers.

Brady & Rivers are tied with 28 TD's

Brady loses the battle decidedly in interceptions.

The interceptions brought his rating down as well.

Even still I was surprised it was as close as it was.

2. SuperCharger21

SuperCharger21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Just imagine what Philip could do with the opposing teams' defensive game plans like Tommy. Brady is an overrated, unsportsmanlike chump.

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Just Imagine how the divisional game at the end of 2006 season might have turned out if Brady didn't have our defensive game plan and wasn't getting opposing plays called into him from his spies... 27-24 pats????? Maybe not....

5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    To be fair, Belichick and Turner are very different coaches with leads.

Bill keeps his foot on the gas and hurls it down the field with a game in hand, while Norv will hand the ball off to the backs in the same situation. Also, Norv will let the opposing offenses eat time off the clock with the maligned "prevent".

Also, the passing game is Bill's #1 go-to weapon in the red zone. Norv's is still LT, and he is a very effective weapon to be used in this situation.

I think this explains why the TDs and yards are close despite Rivers having a markedly-better season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Dude, it was frustrating to watch the Pats at times. Take the Denver game. Brady was missing his WR's on passes that he used to make with his eyes closed.

7. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I'm with you, but, the only season he had a higher completion percentage was back in 2007.

Wierd.

8. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    It must be draining to be that bitter.

9. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    There are plenty of remarkabley gay, legit images of Brady. Why ruin it by using a photoshopped one?

10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    My favorite is when he's cradling a baby calf :)

11. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    In honor of my 800th post:

You are a simpleton with a myopic view of the world.

He's a first ballot H.O.F. inductee.

BTW, he was also voted the Comeback Player of 2009 today, as well. How's that make you feel, skippy?

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Here you go......[​IMG]

14. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Damn, you beat me by a minute....

15. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Your just like the patriots your a day late and a dollar short... :lol: ​

• Like Like x 1
  16. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I hate to say it, but that was a pretty good response.

Rightfully so, tommy boy is a hero to your fan base. We'd all revere him if he won 3 superbowls for the chargers. I can't blame you for being a Brady backer. I do appreciate, though, that you can keep your sense of humor because the dude has taken some pretty gay modeling shots for Stenson over the years!

I believe we can beat the Pats, but I also thought that in 2006 and then we laid a huge egg. That's why you play the game. Although, it is interesting that the game played by the pats directly after beating the chargers in 2006 and 2007, they've lost. I remember in 2006, it was so physical and emotional of a game, that the Pats players kind of looked at each other and still couldn't believe they had actually won. LT went OFF and was running at will, but dumb *** Cam Cameron went away from him in the 2nd half and we had more drops and stupid penalties than we had all year long. Just a weird, immature game by our guys. I can't see the same mistakes this year, but we still have to lace up and play. Good luck against the Ravens. Chargers need to exorcise some Patriot demons in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Thanks fella's, only thing better than that picture is two of that picture.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I don't know, this one may be better. He looks like he just came from central casting for Revenge of the Nerds 7.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl: hellllla gay

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Rivers is next in line.

That's all there is to it.

21. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Am I the only one who thinks the Ravens might just molest the Pariots on Sunday?

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    [​IMG]

23. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Starting this thread is like poking an angry bear in a cage with a stick :icon_rofl:

Actually Schaub 4,770 29 td's 15 int's 98.6, and Roethlisberger 4,328 26 td's 12 int's did better than Brady and should be in the Pro Bowl instead of him IMO, but voters look to team wins too much IMO.
    All 3 QB's mentioned had to pass more than Rivers (all had alot more passing attempts than Rivers), so passing yards would be more.
    We didn't have to play catch up very often, and Norv does NOT keep his foot on the gas when having a lead in the 4th quarter to run up the score or pad stats.
    If we are winning 45-0 at halftime, Rivers isn't throwing TD passes in the 2nd half to pad his stats like the Pats did against Tennessee. Brady should not have even started the 2nd half in that game. He had 6 td's just in that game's blowout, along with 380 yards. That game helped him alot in stats, but I will say he earned the first half numbers, shouldn't have even played in the 2nd half up 45-0 in the snow.
    Rivers only played half of the first quarter on the final game against the Redskins. He could have stayed in to pad his stats, but that's not how they do things.

I'm all for keeping the foot on the pedal, and I wish Norv would do it, but not to pad stats, just to slam the door on the other team when up by 14 really late in the game, not 4 or 5 td's in the 4th quarter. :no:

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Guys-it's a goat.

25. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    So I'm a glutton for punishment.......:yes: :lol: :yes:

Keep in mind that Brady is coming off a catastrophic knee injury and a full year without a football game under his belt. He is, quite justifiably, allowed to be a bit rusty.

I'll be interested to see what he can manage next year.

26. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Probably not, but the world is full of people that don't know what they're talking about.:icon_tease:

Just kidding.

I'm hopeful we can get past them so we can get to SD and things will REALLY heat up here.:tup:

It's supposed to be 15 degrees here on Sunday. That should favor Brady and the Pats slightly.

27. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Yards per attempt:

Rivers 8.8 (#1)
    Brady 7.8 (#11)

QB rating:

Rivers 104.4 (#3 in NFL and #1 in AFC)
    Brady 96.2 (#9 in NFL and #5 in AFC)

First down %:

Rivers 42.8% (#1 in NFL)
    Brady 37.9% (#7 in NFL)

Record:

Chargers 13-2 (tied for second)
    Patriots 10-6 (tied for eighth)

Sorry I don't see it.

28. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    The best and most undeniable argument made... and of course it is ignored by the 'opposition'. Figures.

Other arguments are still valid (including CHEATING), but the one which is pure common sense is the ONE ignored.

• Like Like x 1
  29. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    The argument is true in theory. Bill and Norval are both very different coaches with VERY DIFFERENT resumes.

The problem is, other than the Tennessee game in the snow and the Bucs in London, there were no real run away, step on your throat type games this year. In fact, the Pats are having a miserable time maintaining 2nd half leads, especially 4th quarter leads. That runs completely counter to your argument that Brady/Belichick is just running up the score.

The Tennessee game was under terrible conditions and Brady & the team needed to taste some real success to help get everyone back on track.

The London game was a track meet and I'm sure the NFL wanted them to put on a show. They did.

In 2007 it is undeniable that they ran up the scores. In 2009 your contention holds much less water, though.

As for the "prevent" defense, that may eventually be your undoing. That remains to be seen.

The reason we rely so heavily on the pass these days is because we have a running game by committee. Feel free to give us LT and we'll march down the field in 18 plays and 10+ minutes rather than 8 plays and 4 minutes. I'd love to have a running back to hang our hat on.

The cheating stuff is both old and tired. You guys have proven to be the most bitter in the NFL with your insistence on rehashing it.

I hope we get to SD(I'll have my fingers crossed this weekend while I'm in class, missing the game).

I hope we beat you.

I hope none of you jump off a bridge when we do.

Go Pats!

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    What's this 'gay' jibe?. The lad is nailing one of the hottest women in the world. Gay!?, my arse (excuse the pun).

Overprotected prima donna on the field yes, Gay, no.