1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers was robbed at the expense of an undeserving Brett Favre

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...at-the-expense-of-an-undeservi?urn=nfl,129633

I hate writing this kind of post, because there's really no way to not sound like a whiny homer. But that's all right with me. I'll be a homer today. I've got reason to whine today.

Philip Rivers was left off the Pro Bowl roster.

You may not be as upset about this as I am, and I realize that there's a certain segment of the population out there that doesn't recognize Philip Rivers as the pure-of-soul, kind-hearted ray of sunshine that he is. And that's okay.

But fair is fair. Rivers hasn't missed a game and he's got the highest quarterback rating in the league. He's the only guy with a rating over 100.

And yet, six other quarterbacks are going to Hawaii and Rivers isn't? Nonsense, I tell you.

And I'm perfectly willing to play the Pro Bowl Complaint game fairly. If you want to add someone to the roster, you have to subtract someone, too. No problem. So that Rivers could be added, I would subtract ... well, take your pick, actually. I'd take Rivers over any of the three AFC quarterbacks that got the nod.

As I may have mentioned previously, Rivers has the best quarterback rating in the league. Maybe you don't like that stat, and you'd rather judge him on something more tangibly related to the game, like touchdown production. He leads the league with 28, tied with Drew Brees, and I'd also like to add that Drew Brees threw the ball 119 more times to get his 28 TDs.

So maybe you're thinking that the touchdown production and QB rating are inflated because Rivers is some kind of dink-and-dunk quarterback who turns into Kordell Stewart if he's asked to throw the ball farther than seven yards. And you'd be incorrect. Again, Rivers is the best in the league there, averaging 8.23 yards per attempt, tied with Tony Romo.

Meanwhile, Brett Favre is on the roster, with his sub-Cassel QB rating of 86.5 and his league-leading 17 interceptions. Interceptions are still bad, right? Those still count? Favre's 6.8 yards-per-attempt also ranks 20th in the league. Yeah, that says excellence.

Of course, I realize that the decision to add Brett Favre to the AFC Pro Bowl roster was made on the day he was traded to the Jets. I'd argue less about the inclusion of Cutler or Manning, but I'd still argue. Rivers is better than any of them by almost any statistical measure. Other than yards, that is, and Rivers is still pretty comparable there, ranking fifth in the league.

Yards, really, are the crux of the issue. Not the yards themselves, necessarily, but the reason Rivers doesn't have as many as Cutler or Manning: the fact that his team wasn't as good, he didn't have the ball as much and didn't have as many opportunities. Rivers is out because his team's relative lack of success is being held against him.

And also because Brett Favre is a gunslinger, he's like a kid out there, he's a grizzly veteran, he loves playing the game and because Wrangler makes Real. Comfortable. Jeans., blah blah blah.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    No F**king way Favre should have made it with all his INT's.:icon_evil:

Rivers has better stats in every category, the fact that we are 6-8 should not be held against him !!!

The NFL wanted Favre in the Pro Bowl, plain and simple, it had nothing to do with the fan ballot. Sproles won the fan voting, but didn't even get in.

Rivers was robbed, and I've read numerous things, and seen several things on t.v., that Favre didn't deserve it, and Rivers was robbed.

Here's a link on it, I just read recently.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80d61bc1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

3. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I also would like to add that I hope Favre and the Jets "tank" thier next 2 games, miss the playoffs, and he throws several INT'S in each game.

It should have been Manning, Rivers as the top 2 QB's, then perhaps Cutler with his stats, or Kerry Collins with what he's done as a starting QB for the Titans this year.

(No way Tennessee does anything this year with Vince Young, so my vote would have been for Collins as the 3rd QB)

F**k Cutler :icon_evil:

4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I’m not angry, but it is wrong not to have PR on the roster. PR does not get the respect he deserves…Cutless, for some unknown reason is the darling of the media; I don’t get it. I believe if Cutless, or even Eli became a Charger the media would turn on either one of them too. I’m not sure why, but SD teams have to work hard to get real respect from the media.

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    That was a very fair assessment of the situation, I enjoyed every word and could not agree more than I do with this original post.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I hope y'all don't lose any sleep over it, I won't and I highly doubt Philip will.:bolt:

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Good.

His teammates should apologize to him for playing like a buncha' puussies.

Let Cutler go enjoy Hawaii. Gonna be a looooooong wait for that trip, since he'll be watching the playoffs from his couch after the first round. :bolt:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Maybe the snub will get his team mates thinking about how they wasted most of a season-even if they do back into the playoffs. Maybe it will motivate them to finish strong at least. Making the playoffs thru Buffalo would be a stroke of luck most of these guys don't deserver, buy I'll take it anyway because WE FANS DO!

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just another example of NFL BS. It's a popularity contest where a bunch of rich guys get a free trip to Hawaii. :tdown:

Screw the Pro Bowl. Win what counts. :icon_sad:

10. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Couldn't agree more. PR played his heart out this season, unfortunately, not all of his team mates did and guess who gets screwed? PR. Let the snubs serve as fuel for the last two games and for next season.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This is the problem I see...
    He's Brett Farve... (for good or bad) need I say anymore?
    It's about the same for Manning. Eli will be there too, weather he earned it out not.
    NFL has had their Cutler knee pads ready since day one.

Bottom Line... Those three are the lap dogs for the AFC.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    F the Pro Bowl. It's always been a sham. Guys are gettin in on media hype and past rep all the time. I really don't believe players and coaches think too hard when they make their pix.

I'm not even gonna bother joining the discussion about who should have/should not have got in.

WASTE OF TIME. :icon_evil:

Just like the Pro Bowl itself.

Kill it Roger, please. :tup:

13. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    If the Bolts were 8-6 leading the division, with Rivers stats, he would be in the MVP talks from all those media queers.

And I don't really think anyone would really be able to beat him in the MVP race if we were 10-6, or 11-5 winning the division.

The Pro Bowl voting is a F**king joke!!!

F**k Cutler, and Favre :icon_evil:

I would love to see BOTH of them miss the playoffs, and have terrible games in the final 2 weeks. Especially Cutler in the final week against us, but especially this week against Buffalo. GO BILLS !!!!!!