1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers will take a "short season" championship

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Rivers would take a lockout-shortened title
    June, 8, 2011
    By Bill Williamson

There has been talk recently that the NFL season could potentially be cut in half to an eight-game schedule because of the lockout.

That certainly wouldn’t be ideal for anyone, but San Diego Chargers’ quarterback Philip Rivers said in a radio interview that he would still be plenty interested in winning the Super Bowl in a shortened season.

“Oh, eight game season. That’s crazy. No doubt about it. Shoot you only played 10 in high school,” Rivers said. “Play eight, get in, let’s go. It counts the same.”

Rivers downplayed the idea that a title would be tainted in a shortened season.

“No. I certainly won’t feel bad if that’s the case and we’re able to go on and win it.” Rivers said. “Definitely, eight games over no season. Certainly prefer 16 over eight, but there needs to be football of some sort. I’m not ready to concede to the fact that eight games is a possibility. We still have two months to get something done. Two months and some change, three months almost.”

In the meantime, Rivers has continued to work with several teammates to prepare for the season, whenever it may start. He was one of the first players to organize team workouts during the lockout.

“We’ve been going for ten weeks now,” Rivers said. “ I’ve been super-impressed looking around the league and some of these teams have 50 guys, 40 guys, or 37 guys, but they’re doing these three-day crash sessions and then they are kinda scattering for a month and then they reconvene. We’ve gone 10 weeks, four days a week pretty solid with good attendance. We’re planning on doing a little more football here in the next few weeks, a little more organized trying to run some plays maybe. We tried to hold off as long as we could hoping that maybe something would shake and we’d be back at work. Since that hasn’t happened we’re gonna try and get that done.”

Still, there’s no doubt, Rivers is ready for organized team activities with the Chargers’ coaching staff at the team’s facility.

"I'm about to reach my limit, I'm going stir crazy," Rivers told CBS Sports. "I think it's just unfortunate we've come to this. The game is at an all-time high. I'm not talking about revenue. I'm talking about popularity. We're essentially putting all of that at risk. I don't mean just players. I mean owners, everyone. I didn't think we’d ever be here. I'm still shocked we're at this point … I grew up loving football as a game and I still do. The business side of it never appealed to me but I can't be a hypocrite. The business side has been beneficial to me but I always hated this part of it. It's not me. I don’t think it's a lot of players. Most players just want to get back to football."

And, at this point, even a half season looks appealing.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll take it but you know as well as I that there will be folks who question the legitimacy because it's a shortened season.

Then all you can do is punch those fucks in the face. :p

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    wow great METAL band name! PFF!! Offical first fan of PunchFuckFace!!!

Good to get a update on the first Team organizers practice sessions. 12 game season still as taintable??

So much for the HALLOWEEN Redeemre bowl. :/ Holding out optimism still, but yea Stir Crazy is a good way to explain my state of mind as this BS passes through the rectum of Greed.

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    We're going to avoid the Norvian slow start by avoiding September and October?
    Good strategy!

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    You sounded almost Positive Pollyannaish there. ;)

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Almost...

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I don’t understand how we even make the playoffs? We always start out with 4 or 5 loses in our first 6 games. How do we make the playoffs with a 2 and 6 record?

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I don't want a short season championship. That will always be brought up.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Really? Who won the SB during the last strike season when the replacement players played half of the games. Is that ever brought up? If so I have never heard it.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Redskins. And I haven't heard it brought up either.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I think you just did. ;)

12. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Not once, but twice...and no, Redskin fans don't give a rat's a$$. Frankly, neither would I.

13. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    For the record (given that I live in DC it's only appropriate):

1982 - 9 game season, no replacements. Redskins win SB XVII over Miami
    1987 - 15 game season, replacements play 3. Redskins belt Donks in SB XXII

And yes, Redskins fans could not care less in either of these cases.

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Because Redskins have more than one title. If we would win a 9 game short season it would not be forgotten for a few years. It would be brought up right after and during the SB and would somewhat take a slight bit of shine off the celebration. I want it straight out with no excuses.

Look at it this way. What if the Detroit Lions win the SB on a 9 game season?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So what?

Some drunken Raiders fan will bring it up. *News Flash* If we win one in a LONG season, they will simply say "We gots more than you." Someone will always say something.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Werd to your mama!

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    All teams would head into the season with the same schedule. If anything it would make it harder because the teams would know that one loss right out of the gate could take you out.

And besides there are no asterisks when you look at Lombardi totals!

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Getting to the postseason is only half the battle. As we know very well, it's what you do in the playoffs that separates the great teams from the average. That wouldn't change because of a shortened regular season.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ummmm..... Well....

Agreed....

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And that is agreed, Corona was only stating that he did not want to go to the playoffs in a shortened season. If anything it would be harder to make it to the playoffs in that scenario as there would be a lot more teams in contention.

With a shortened season there would be a lot less injuries to deal with.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    So, you're saying we might stand a chance then? ;)

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Less ST plays too. :rolleyes: