1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Robert Gallery to leave Raiders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    By Adam Schefter

In an offseason in which the Oakland Raiders are prepared to lose cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, they also will lose left guard Robert Gallery.

After speaking with Raiders owner Al Davis, Gallery has decided to sign somewhere else whenever free agency begins.

A Raiders career that started in 2004, when Oakland made him the second overall pick and continued with Gallery starting 75 games for the team, now is over.

"With the end of the league year coming today, and the few conversations I've had with the Raiders and Mr. Davis, we've come to a mutual agreement that it's time for me to move on with my career," Gallery said Thursday from his home in the Oakland area. "I appreciate the start that they and Mr. Davis gave me and I truly have enjoyed my time wearing the silver and black. I wish them well, I thank the fans and I take away great memories of my time in Oakland."

Like Asomugha, Gallery's contract voided after this past season. After seven NFL seasons, he will be an unrestricted free agent. The 30-year-old Gallery knows that whenever football is played next, he will be playing it in a different place.

"I'm looking for a new start somewhere else, to experience another place, and to be able to accomplish some of the things I want to," Gallery said. "It's best for everyone."

Gallery is more comfortable playing left guard, though he could play other positions along the offensive line. To try to replace Gallery, the Raiders are expected to turn to last year's fourth-round pick Bruce Campbell, another favorite of Davis.

But each side will go its own way as Oakland will be losing another key player that helped make the Raiders respectable and relevant last season.

Although Gallery and Asomugha are set to leave Oakland, the Raiders have been one of the more aggressive teams in re-signing players this offseason.

Along with signing linebacker Kamerion Wimbley to his franchise tender at approximately $11.3 million, Oakland gave cornerback Stanford Routt a $31.5 million, three-year deal; handed defensive tackle Richard Seymour a $30 million, two-year contract with $22.5 million in guarantees; signed defensive tackle John Henderson to an $8 million, two-year deal and signed special teams standout and backup running back Rock Cartwright to an undisclosed contract.

"I'll always remember being able to come out of the tunnel of that stadium, into the Black Hole," Gallery said. "That was exhilarating and never got old. I loved being a part of a group that helped bring the Raiders back to where they were in the past. It's just that now it's time to go someplace else."

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If he can play RG, sign him!!!!!!!

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    His best fit was as a LG in a Zone-Bocking Scheme. He might be capable of playing RT in a power-blocking scheme, but it's a heck of a gamble as it's playing him at a position he hasn't played since his sophomore year of college (nearly a decade ago). I'd lay dollars to donuts that if something gets worked out to where free agents can be sined (be it a new CBA or the enabling of a UFA market via a de-certed NFLPA), Shanna-rat and the Skins are going to go hard after him since I think they just cut Derrick Dockery for salary reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That's cool. If he can't play RG in our scheme, then I don't want him.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He's still a quality LG, so I'd like him as far away from teams in our division or teams we play in the immediate future as possible. If Seattle wasn't set at OG (so far as I know... they might have one guard spot left not on lockdown) I'd be completely jazzed with him going there. Zone-scheme that will fit him well (I always kind fliked Gallery... up until he became a Raiturd), NFC team, and a team in a division we played last year, so the only time we'd ever see him for the next 3 years would be in the Super Bowl.

He could go to Green Bay too, I suppose. They seem tobe trying to establish the Wisconsin branch of the Hair Club for Men on that team.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Excellent post...

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    "Yes, let get him before anyone realizes that he is available. He will be a valuable asset to the offense, and it will only cost a few million to pick him up and put him on the roster. Plus, I heard that he no longer considers himself a locker room cancer."

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Could be an upgrade over vasquez though that's not an insult on vasquez. At right guard that'd give us two very nasty hard working guards. Still likely he will go to Seattle - not only is there an open guard spot but Tom cable went there and he and gallery are very close

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    You have to assume that when they discussed $ he and Sweatsuit Al got into it over how he was 'drafted to be a tackle dammit!'

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Out of curiosity, how did this start?

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    he posted it once then a bunch of us, pointy included, all copypasta'd it in future "so and so got cut/is available" threads.

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I've done this for years on the other sites too. There seems to be a select few posters that continually run around like chicken little or in a video dreamworld (can you think of one on this site?) looking for news snippets about other teams around the league cutting players and whenever a team releases a player they post threads playing GM stating that the Chargers should sign that player. It is meant as a sarcastic remark, and I'm sure you can appreciate the humor in that.

Pointy

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I actually go into these threads just to see if Pointy has tagged it yet. Aj took him serious when it came to Bob Sanders though. ;)