1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rodney Harrison unloads on the Chargers "bully" tactics

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Joey Bosa holdout ends, but could the damage linger for the team?
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2016, 5:00 PM EDT

With defensive end Joey Bosa finally agreeing to terms with the Chargers, plenty of the people who were pressuring Bosa to cave will be ready to point to his holdout, if he struggles as a rookie. By next year, however, Bosa’s decision to stand firm will be irrelevant to his performance, after he has a full year in the system and the opportunity to participate in all of the offseason program, training camp, and the preseason.

For the Chargers, the stain may not wipe away quite so easily. Like the jersey on the mannequin in Cleveland with the names of all the starting quarterbacks since 1999, Bosa becomes the next name on a list of Chargers holdouts that dates back at least 15 years.

So why is it happening? Former Chargers safety Rodney Harrison addressed the topic earlier in the day on PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio and NBCSN.

“The San Diego Chargers are a bunch of bullies,” Harrison said. “If you look at the way they’ve handled business, why is it the San Diego Chargers out of all the teams have this issue? Because they are a bunch of bullies, and they haven’t treated their star players correctly. You look at junior Seau and what they did to him. Look at how they treated me. Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers held out, Quentin Jammer, LaDainian Tomlinson. I know he came out and he was outspoken about the holdout but — guess what? — he held out, too. So when I look at the San Diego Chargers, I’d say this is why they’re an average organization, because of things like this. How can you draft a guy at the position that you drafted him in and not have him in camp?

“I think the San Diego Chargers are being a bunch of bullies and it just looks bad and reflects bad. If I’m a free agent why the heck would I even think about going to San Diego if I know that this is the way they treat their players?”

It’s fair to wonder who the next holdout will be in San Diego. And it’s also fair to question whether free agents eventually will choose to sign elsewhere, if all other factors are equal. It’s the kind of perception that, if not reversed by the team, could force the Chargers to pay more than other teams will pay in order to get players to join the team — especially if the Chargers are on the verge of not being able to make living in San Diego a selling point.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    I hate that sentence, but not because he's wrong, but because I'm tired of the sneaky losers
    that are the Spanos family, being conflated with the team I've loved, supported,
    (financially & otherwise) for close to 5 decades: "The San Diego Chargers."

That's why as this unraveled, I tried to stick to:
    "The Spanos family" when talking about ownership's position.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    It might also give people the false impression that the team on the field is actually capable of bullying the competition. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think what Rodney is saying is that unproven rookies and washed up veterans should be treated the same as players in the prime of their career. IE: Give them whatever they want and shut the hell up.

Obviously I disagree.

I think the only real difference between how the Chargers and Patriots operate, is the level of success at the end of the day. The Patriots play hardball with their players too, the difference is in the draft they're always picking late (if at all;)), and we have been picking in the top 20 consistently. Remember when the Pats traded Richard Seymour 2 years early? Remember when they let Welker walk? Remember when they traded Chandler Jones before they had to pay him? Letting Darrell Revis walk for nothing? These are elite players leaving town early, but nobody cares because the Patriots continue to WIN.

Why are they winning and we're not? We can debate that all day. Bellichick, overall health, and Brady just being better than Rivers are the 3 reasons I'd say, but it's not because of hard ball negotiating.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Sour grapes from Rodney IMO

I for one have softened my stance when I take into consideration, Bosa, was probable just trying to safe-guard is future by getting as much as he could upfront because of his familys injury history after being first round draft picks.

If he comes in here and works his butt off...all is forgiven IMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    ...and a winning habit through-out the organisation helps! That kinda thing filters down to new players and staff

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Hardwick - you know the guy who actually has a business degree (did Rodney ever even finish school?) - has sided with the Chargers in the sense that, they have leverage and they'd be foolish not to use it in a negotiation. I'll put more weight in his opinion over Harrison's.

8. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I agree with Rodney but I still don't like him. Dirtiest player.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Or, you put more weight in whichever former player's opinion happens to jive with your own.... A far more likely rationale.

10. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +112
    Rodney's still bitter.

Junior probably was as well. He basically gave his life for the Chargers.

LT did not leave on good terms but a job with the league owned NFL network and the fact that AJ isn't here may have softened him.

Marty didn't leave on good terms. Nor did Winslow.

More often than not the Chargers will do you wrong

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    More often than not the sneaky Spanos family will do you wrong

12. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    I listened to that podcast last night. In fact Matti - he said the opposite. His view was that himself and most the vets he'd talked to think Bosa should be in camp, and that he hasn't even played a snap in the NFL to justify his holdout. He'd get paid anyway.

Later Florio asked him why it seems to happen with the Chargers, and RH explained they were bullies. Funnily enough Florio's article doesn't mention RHs personal stance on Bosa, just highlights whats going to be the biggest attention grabbing headline.

Context.

Media manipulate the readers more often than not and paint the narrative that will cause the most clicks on the internet.

The podcast in question is here...
    http://podbay.fm/show/426497635/e/1472478321?autostart=1

As a side note to another thread...Florio's next podcast was on Kaepernick not standing for the national anthem and Kaps explanation of it. Kap spoke for over 15 minutes on why he has taken his stance and some of those soundbites are in that podcast. Kaps reasons were very measured and thought provoking...not that the media will spin it that way. The media thrive on chaos and outrage. That podcast is here...

http://podbay.fm/show/426497635/e/1472478468?autostart=1

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +48
    RODNEY IS RACE BAITING RING CHASING WHACK A$$. I HATE THAT GUY HE SUX. HE SUX AS CHARGER. HE DOES NOTHING OTHER THAN TALK $HIT. LIKE STFU ALREADY.

14. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Oz, i dont think the media would ever do a thing like that to us.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree. Media is synonymous with honest.
    [​IMG]

17. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +117
    Rodney is bitter. I'm just shocked he called the Bolts "an average organization"

Seems mighty generous from him.

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    [/thread]