1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger accused of sexual assault, again

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2010 3:49 PM ET

As if this first day of the 2010 league year wasn't sufficiently hectic, one of the more ugly situations from the 2009 league year suddenly has migrated back onto the front burner.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of sexual assault. Again.

TMZ reports that the alleged incident allegedly occurred (allegedly) early Friday in Milledgeville, Georgia, a town that when you say it sounds a little like "Allegedville."

The alleged victim and witnesses are being interviewed, and police have interviewed Roethlisberger.

Per TMZ, no charges have been filed yet.

Even if he's cleared, the fact that Big Ben would put himself in position to be on the wrong end of these allegations given everything he has experienced in Nevada makes us think that, yes, he really is as dumb as he looks.

And if you don't know what we're talking about regarding Nevada, we're glad that you have emerged from your coma. Please type "Roethlisberger" and "sexual" in the search box and you'll quickly be up to speed.

The difference this time around is that the alleged victim didn't wait a year to make the claim. She didn't even wait a day.

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    If it walks like a duck...

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    and gets arrested for the same thing multiple times like a duck

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Eh, still innocent till proven guilty. I agree with the comment that he is dumb to open himself up to this, but who's to say this woman didn't just see dollar signs?

Hey Ben, give me $10k or I'll accuse you of attacking me!

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I'll let it play out before making a judgment.

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I bet she found out why they call him big ben:no:

6. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Does this mean VJ is a duck? :icon_tease:

But seriously, the rule of QBs and on-field play applies here as one: one time is a mistake, two times is a trend, three times is a problem.

Big Ben, you are starting to show quite a troublesome trend.

7. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    This just brings to mind all the HARSH thoughts I have read on these boards over the last 2 months about certain Chargers' players and how some of you fans have taken to this Moral Majority Goody Two Shoes thought process and anybody who steps even slightly over the line should be blown out of SD.

Then this comes up, and we are PC about it, but if you same critical folks where Steeler Fans would you be calling for Big Ben to be blown out of town for being a bad person of the field.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That I agree with and yes while VJ has problems apparently drinking and driving, Big Ben has big problems with sexual assault.

Andyes as a lawyer I know its innocent until proven guilty but the trend demands comment

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yep.

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    1st incident from everything i read really seemed like a shake-down...

I'd say this 2nd incident could go either way... she could be using the 1st incident to her advantage or he very well could be the dirty bastard these women have claimed him to be. I'd pref to hear more facts before I start saying he's a rapist or something myself... but it definitely is a disturbing "trend"

11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Vj has drinkig and driving problems, but big ben has problems drinkin and raping!

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    WHat a dbag it looks like pittsburgh might be using charlie batch next year :icon_toast:

14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Roethlisberger's crew included officers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 10, 2010 6:08 PM ET
    A Pittsburgh-area police officer and a Pennsylvania state trooper were in Ben Roethlisberger's posse on the night he was accused of sexual assault.

A lawyer for one of the officers told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that his client is close friends with Roethlisberger, and was in Georgia with him in that capacity.

Eyewitnesses have described larger bouncer-type friends protecting Roethlisberger at times while he partied. Surprisingly, neither man has been contacted by Georgia authorities yet, indicating that the investigation is going slowly.

The lawyer said both officers were "completely sober" on the night in question and will cooperate with the investigation. Authorities are seeking a sample of Roethlisberger's DNA.

15. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Report: Roethlisberger admitted to having "sexual contact" with alleged victim

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2010 7:02 PM ET

As the investigation regarding the sexual assault allegations against Steelers quarterback Ben Roerhlisberger continues, KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh reports that Roethlisberger admitted to having "sexual contact" with the woman who claims sexual assault, but that there was no intercourse.

The admission came during an interview of Roethlisberger conducted at the scene.

Per the report, Roethlisberger claims that the woman fell and injured her head after the incident. She then went to a hospital and alleged that she was sexually assaulted.

Police have requested a DNA sample from Roethlisberger, but attorney Ed Garland has declined either to make a DNA sample available or to make Roethlisberger available for another interview.

(Thanks for the head's up, Robert Littal of BlackSportsOnline.com.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lleged-victim/

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  17. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Roethlisberger follows woman into restroom.

Admits to sexual contact.

Woman has head injury.

Police have requested a DNA sample.

Lawyer refuses.

This is not looking good.

18. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    REally. What is it with these sports stars and ****? WTF? I know ben is kinda an awkward looking guy but he could probably pull lots of women just because he is the steelers QB. He'd be better off paying one to marry him and then paying alimony after they get divorced than paying a civil settlement at least and facing criminal conviction at worst. What a dumbass. Why?:icon_huh:

19. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    If we all pitched in a bought Ben Roethlisberger a sheep, he could reduce his legal bills by tens of thousands of dollars! :icon_banana:

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Long-time Pittsburgh sportscaster unloads on Big Ben

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2010 8:29 PM ET

As we've mentioned a time or two this week, the tide of public opinion in Pittsburgh has turned dramatically against Ben Roethlisberger in the wake of a second allegation of sexual assault.

Local talk radio has featured plenty of anecdotal evidence regarding generally boorish behavior from Big Ben (we've heard a couple of stories that we possibly will be posting, once they are vetted by the PFT legal team -- i.e., me), and his defenders are becoming fewer and farther between.

Perhaps most jarring is the maiden blog voyage of long-time, old-school Pittsburgh sportscaster John Steigerwald, who spent more than two decades on KDKA-TV, who has hosted radio in the Pittsburgh area, and who currently appears on a weekly Sunday night show on WTAE-TV.

Here's what Steigerwald says about Roethlisberger: "First of all, none of this surprises me. Ben is a bad citizen. He doesn't know how to treat people and he definitely doesn't know how to handle being the quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers. In my more than 30 years of working in the Pittsburgh sports media, I have never had any player come close to generating as many unsolicited questions from fans as Roethlisberger has. They want to know why he's such a jackass. And these aren't just Steelers fans who got turned down for an autograph. It's men and women from all walks of life."

Steigerwald specifically points to a Make-A-Wish child that Roethlisberger blew off. Per Steigerwald, KDKA opted not to pursue the matter as a news story. Steigerwald later spoke to the parents, who did not want to go public on behalf of their daughter, who had cystic fibrosis.

Steigerwald's verdict? "Roethlisberger is a punk who needs to be knocked down a peg or two."

As a general matter, Pittsburgh-area sportscasters tread lightly when it comes to the Steelers, if they value access and cooperation from the organization. Steigerwald's atypical candor is a sign that, when it comes to Big Ben, the local journalists have either gotten a nod from the team to take off the gloves, or they just don't care.

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sepulveda walks a verbal tightrope regarding Big Ben

Posted by Mike Florio on March 20, 2010

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been silent in the 15 days since facing new accusations of sexual assault. His teammates have been silent, too.

Well, most of them have been silent.

Punter Daniel Sepulveda recently joined 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh to talk about a variety of subjects, one of which was the status of the man who, as Sepulveda acknowledged, is the unquestioned leader of the team.

The three-year player, who was a fourth-round draft pick in 2007 and currently is a restricted free agent, chose his words carefully when talking about Roethlisberger's situation. But Sepulveda didn't mince words, either; his disapproval of the situation clearly came through.

"It's regrettable to see him struggling in the media the way he has in putting himself in these positions," Sepulveda said. "You know, it's hard to comment on that kind of thing. We're going to be there for him as teammates in any way we can be to help him through these deals. I don't know, he's a very capable quarterback obviously. My locker's next to his in the game locker room, and that's on business day, you know that's game day. So I don't think I've said more than a couple sentences to him in the three years that I've been here even though we locker next to each other, but you know it's all business on game day so you can't read into that. . . . It's tough to say, we're gonna be there for him in any way that we can be, but you know it's not cool to see him getting in trouble like this all the time."

Three quick observations. First, if you listen to the interview, you'll hear that Sepulveda was struggling with his words, hoping to say the right thing. Or, more accurately, to not say the wrong thing. Second, the fact that Sepulveda and Roethlisberger have lockers right next to each other on game day and Ben has hardly spoken to him is odd, to say the least. Seriously, how can Roethlisberger rarely talk to the guy who is right freaking next to him on the 16 most important days of the year? (In fairness to Ben, Sepulveda missed all of the 2008 season with a knee injury. Still, he was there for all of 2007 and 2009.)

And it's noteworthy, in our view, that Sepulveda got his point across, in somewhat passive-aggressive style. He didn't have to say anything about having lockers right next to each other and rarely having Ben say a word to him; the fact that he did so speaks volumes regarding the relationship -- or lack of one -- that these two teammates have.

Third, the internal talking points that apparently have been distributed to the players include a heavy dose of "we're gonna be there for him," since it was uttered twice in the comments set forth above, and it's said twice again in the comments appearing below, regarding the possible impact of the charges on Ben's ability to lead the team.

"Well, it's not good," Sepulveda said. "It certainly doesn't help. But, you know what? Leading a football team, that's an on and off the field thing. So, gosh, you know it's not a great way to earn the respect of the rest of the guys on the team. But you know at the same time we are a team, he is our leader. We're gonna be there for him in any way that we can be to help him through this because you know obviously he's gonna get attacked as a result so, and that's what the Steelers do, we stick together, we're a team. And that starts with the leadership of the Rooney family. . . . and that culture runs all the way through to the punter. So, you know, we're gonna be there for him."

So, yes, they're gonna be there for him. But at least one of them doesn't seem to like it very much. And if that's a reflection of the culture that runs all the way from the Rooneys through to the punter, Ben has a problem within the organization that he might never be able to overcome.

22. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Tomlin: 'I’m highly concerned for our franchise and for Ben'

NFL.com
    3-20-2010

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expressed anxiety over the sexual-assault allegation leveled at quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, telling NFL Network's Jennifer Allen on Saturday, "I'm highly concerned for our franchise and for Ben personally."

Tomlin didn't want to say too much about the situation, acknowledging that police in Milledgeville, Ga., are still investigating a 20-year-old female college student's accusation against Roethlisberger.

"My concerns are many, but I think at this time it's kind of appropriate to watch these things and let these things run their course," Tomlin said after arriving in Orlando, Fla., for the NFL Annual Meeting, which starts Monday. "I think it would be inappropriate for me to have strong feelings one way or another with the investigation being ongoing and so forth. Like everyone else, you watch these things unfold."

Tomlin's statements echoed what Steelers president Art Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Thursday.

"I mean, look, that's one of the things, we do have a little bit of luxury of time," Rooney said. "If we were at a different point in the year, we may have to be thinking and doing something different. But at the moment, I think we're in a situation we're going to let this investigation play out and then go from there."

No criminal charges have been filed in the case, in which the woman accused Roethlisberger, 28, of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub earlier this month. Roethlisberger's attorney, Ed Garland, has said his client hasn't committed a crime.

Roethlisberger also is facing a civil lawsuit in Nevada, stemming from an alleged sexual assault in 2008. Attorney Calvin Dunlap, who represents the woman in that case, told KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh that Georgia Bureau of Investigation officials contacted him Monday looking to interview his client.

23. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    YO! Rothlesburger and Cro need to Party!!!! Cro can get the women and the Big Ben can assault them! Then they can have kids out the gills! why are they not on the same team????!!! classic! this year is gonna rock!!!

:icon_rofl::abq2::abq2:

24. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    After readng that story it sure sounds like charges are on the way. Tomlin distancing himself is a bad sign for Roethlisberger.

25. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Ben, Cro and Kobe should have thier own reality show...:no:

26. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Ya, Ben and Cro times 4.

The NFL should open its own planned parent hood.

What is sad is, when you first enter the NFL You go to the manditory rookie classes that talk to you about personal finance countless amount of temptations they will be exposed to and the code of conduct......

apparently Cro, Ben and Kobe missed those classes

27. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    hahaha i was talkin kobe bryant:icon_tease: NBA...

But Cro i mean come on. this guy makes enough money to pay child support. Who knows though. Those women may have been smarter then him obviously and lied about being on birth control to get his money.:icon_huh: Still tho8ugh be a star u gotta know that women want your money and will whore out their bodies for 9 months+18+ years of their lives to take your $:icon_shrug:

28. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Lol. ha ha.. :lol: Dude ya know some of those women are fine as hell! it would be tough. maybe thats why im not famous LOL.

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    O i just mean the unprotected sex part if you are expecting to be moving onto another woman and u should know that getting pregnant may motivate these women bc the $. Just use a condom man. Either that or I think cro could learn a helpfull three letters from Darrell Russel GBH:no:. Just sayin most high schoolers know bertter than cro. At least they stop at 1 or 2 or even 3 unplanned pregnancies if they are total sluts(or man sluts)!!

30. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah bro truth. Never could understand not using a condom. Stupid. Why risk it in your profession, its bad enough for the regular joe.