1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Roethlisberger is a Fat Head

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Roethlisberger finds helmet too small

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger is dealing with a swollen head, an issue that has troubled many NFL quarterbacks. Only this time, it's not the result of too many commercial endorsements, a big contract or too much fan praise.

When the Steelers quarterback resumed practicing this week, he realized his helmet didn't fit right.

He sustained a concussion Dec. 28 against Cleveland, and spent last week getting over headaches associated with the hit.

"I had a little headache after putting the helmet on because it was so tight," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "But we'll deal with it and move on."

After receiving a concussion during the 2006 season, Roethlisberger declined to switch to a newer style of helmet designed to better protect against concussions. He apparently has not switched helmets this time, either, preferring to stay with the model he has traditionally worn.

Roethlisberger has had three concussions in three years, one in the June 2006 motorcycle accident in which he was seriously injured while not wearing a helmet. He has not been spotted riding a motorcycle in public since.

Roethlisberger sat out the second half of the Cleveland game, but will return Sunday for the Steelers' AFC divisional game against San Diego.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3816805

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Does this guy have any sense? Doesn't he know that the more concussions you have had the more at risk he is for complications later in life?

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :no: c'mon Ben... I'd love to beat you on Sunday but don't become the next Trent Green or Steve Young... the more concussions you get the easier they happen and the worse your health as you age... dementia, depression, early death?

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    didn't he used to do those fathead commercials?:lol:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yes.

I have no sympathy for someone who has become concussion prone and has the option to wear a different helmet to lessen the impact and chance of further concussions and doesn't then goes and gets knocked the fuk out. It's like not wearing your seatbelt. It's there, use it stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The fact that his head is swollen from a concussion that occurred almost two weeks ago is kind of crazy. The fact that he intends to play is really crazy.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    One shot to that dome and he's eating soup thru a straw all summer.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Remember this is the guy who stops cars with his face.

9. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    So thats what happened to me:icon_shrug::icon_eek:

10. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Agreed. I can't believe he was cleared to play.
    I think Big Ben's career is going to be too short.

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Or he could just go to the style that Garcia used

12. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    I wonder how much of an issue this would be if he had not put his bare head through a windshield.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That certainly didn't help. :no:

I don't wish any type of injury on Ben, but wouldn't mind facing Leftwich, either. He's good for 2-3 picks easy.

14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Same goes for Charlie Batch as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Ben is the #1 QB for the Steelers, and we need to kick their butts with Ben playing.

Leftwich scares me, he is much more mobile like Garcia was, and it wasn’t until Jammer put the wood to Garcia that we were able to stop the Bucs.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Let us be the team that delivers that blow! :yes:

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    If you have a brain injury so severe that your head swells, you need to shut it down. That's just scary.

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree 100%.

Ben Roethlisberger just needs to Retire from Football before any more damage is done to his head that will be irreversible.

In this instance his life is more important than playing Football.

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    A good friend of mine is a high school football player here in Big Bear (and a big Bolts fan). He was taken from a game in an ambulance after a few blows to the head. They had to remove a piece of his skull to alleviate the pressure. He's fine now, but his football career is over.

Head injuries = don't f*ck around.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I myself had a major concussion as a kid falling off my bike, hitting my head on the pavement and getting knocked out COLD. I woke up in my dads car on the way to the Hospital and my brother said, "we thought you were faking playing dead!". I just remember the Dr. saying it was a major concussion and I swear it took like more than a MONTH to get rid of the headache and could barely walk since everything was still spinning. I think do this day I still suffer headaches because of that accident. Head injuries can be serious, I agree. :dead:

Then again if somebody paid me millions........

• Like Like x 1