1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Roger Goodell - Letter about the work stopage

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 12, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
    Roger Goodell

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    It is safe to say that the commissioner has taken sides.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Well, he does work for the owners.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    They cancel the season because millionaires and billionaires can't figure out how to split a massive 9 billion industry and both sides say they do this for us. Screw both of them

6. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Dear Roger,

F____ Y__ and all the whining owners and players. Both sides are doing this for themselves, just leave us fans out of it, you have so far. Don't forget, it is us fans that pay the $9 billion you yahoos can't figure out how to split.

Signed, very pissed off fan.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Does this mean he's working for free like he promised he would in the event of a lockout?

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I have not liked either side since they began this rift in 2006 when they originaly started failling to extend the old player friendly CBA.

Eventualy NFL football will be back in the mean time Yay! CFL and AFL. And I already have chosen to watch Rugby over nothing else, so yea any game with a oblong ball!!

AND lots of KICKING!! Hence the name Football duh!!

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Sounds like the owners did more "meeting-halfway" than the players and the union were prepared to do! I am starting to sway towards the owners on this one..

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I kinda feel the same way its like 55/45 owners/players in the right. BUT the owners need to come off the whole wanting another billion directly to them then the money divides. You would think that 32 owners, 1 billion off the top would be enuff to keep them going year to year.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    and whats wrong with that. Show us the books old fart owners. Show us all the financial books for the last couple of years. HOw else is anyone to come to a good fair agreement without the truth of whats really going on.

Seriously. All this time I thought the players union was given the books to figure out what they think is fair. NOw I find out the owners have kept the financial books a secret all this time. HOw are you to make a fair judgement of royalties if the owners hide what is going on financially in the nfl.

The nfl is more than just a few old fart owners. ITs the players and fans. MOstly the players and fans. Wake up old fart fat owners.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    From my understanding, the players offered a change in how the money is split up. They offered a 50/50 split of the total ($9 bil), which is less than what they currently get, and said they will not accept less unless they get proof from the owners as to why it is in the best interest if the game to do so. I don't think that is an unreasonable stance and think a 50/50 split is very fair. 1600 players get 50% and 32 owners get 50%. Sounds pretty fair to me.

By the way, what has the league been doing with their $1 bill off the top that they have been getting? They could have built a new stadium every year with a Billion dollars. And since they have demanded that tax payers foot the bill for a large portion of stadium costs, I just wonder what they are doing with that money