1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Roman Oben - Where does he fit?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Aug 1, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    He contributed late last year,

Can he start?

He's listed behind McNeil on the depth chart but if he has a strong camp????

:icon_shrug:

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Backup Tackle.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Oben is the backup LT, and Lekkerkerker looks to be the backup RT. This is only because Oben has more experience at the LT spot for us.

4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    IF Roman makes the team this year (and I hope he does) this may be his last year as a Bolt and his last opportunity for a ring.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    He already has one. Remember when Tampa Bay thrashed the Turds?

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hard to believe this is his 12th year

I hope he makes the team and gets that ring!

this IS our year!!

7. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Hmmm... upon further reflection - I should have said "another" ring - didn't he already get one when the Bucs whipped up on the Faiders a few years back?

Edited:
    2003: Started along offensive line that allowed fifth-fewest sacks in NFL…offense set franchise season highs in total offense and passing offense…offensive line prevented Brad Johnson from being sacked in team-record 160 consecutive pass attempts…limited to special teams duty against Green Bay Nov. 16 and Carolina Nov. 9…inactive versus New Orleans Nov. 2 due to broken right hand ending streak of 100 consecutive games played…streak dated back to 1997…started 100th career game against Dallas Oct. 26 despite suffering broken hand during week leading up to game…played 100th career game against Carolina Sept. 14.

2002: Helped Brad Johnson become first quarterback in Tampa Bay history to lead NFC in passing and pass for club-record 22 touchdowns…started every game at left tackle, including Super Bowl XXXVII…offensive line allowed just one sack in 100 postseason passing situations.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    OR you could have just read my post.

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

we do that here???

:lol:

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

You should know that we're a bunch of know-it-alls here and can't be bothered by trivial things like reading other posts. :lol:

11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Who are you and why do I have you on ignore? (Not really - just read "DOH"!)... :icon_toast:

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I hope no one has me on ignore. I wouldn't dream of putting anyone here on ignore, even the stupid Raiderfans.

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    State Farm, Geico, AllState, Farmer's, Lloyd's of London ....

Roman Oben is insurance ......

• Like Like x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Oben will be the consummate pro on the bench, biding his time and helping to coach the young guys up. When his number gets called, he'll be ready for action and taking the point. :bolt:

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Exactly.

:tup:

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Yessirree. Oben will be one of the reasons this team is so deep. It reflects what is really remarkable about what AJ has accomplished here. We not only have a team ready for a Lombardi run, our across the board depth is now as good anyone's, despite losing 4 starters in the last year. He has accomplished both tasks in the same amount of time other well regarded GMs have managed to become merely respectable in trying to rebuild teams as bad as we were. The next draft will be a pure talent hunt, with the only real priority being a guy who could replace Jamal. Every other team in the league has had to dip deep into the free agaent market to get better or even tread water, eroding cap room. He also has this team's core under contract for several seasons, and we haven't exhausted our cap. We're set up for a great run, Norval, so don't scwew it up.

17. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Not many places...Have you seen the damn size of the kid?

TBF

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Oben is pretty much the ideal swing OT. He has a lot of starting experience at LT and RT. At this point, if he had to play, I expect he could do so without taking much if any time away from the younger guys. The only problem with him is he is just not the ideal OT. He is a good pass protector who lacks great power and can be bull rushed. He is also not very physical in the running game. That being said, he is just fine as a backup or starter. If McNeil hadn't come along, I would be very happy with him starting. Right now, he is just stuck in the position of being behind a great young talent who is already one of the best OT in the league.

19. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Damn why do I always find myself agreeing w/ everything RC says? Must be a lingering fear of nuns from my highschool days.:unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  20. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Oben, we already know that he's a pretty decent backup LT should McNeill miss a game or two.

Lekkerkerker has already played nicely in several games, replacing Olivea as needed when he was injured.

So, we have two good backup tackles.

Then, there's Withrow, who performed pretty well in Hardwick's stead for a few quarters when Hardwick left with injury.

Scott Mruczkowski looks to be decent backing up Dielman/Goff. I forget who would be the other backup guard.

Nevertheless, it's nice to know that we went from worrisome depth just two years ago, to good OL depth today.

Could our OL depth be better? For sure, but it is much, much better than it was just two seasons ago.

21. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think SD will carry just two interior OL backups (Withrow and MuzzCOWski) and each can play guard or center.

Clary is another to keep an eye on as a backup OT. Lots of people liked some things they saw from him last preseason, and he spent the whole year on the PS. I doubt SD can keep 3 backup OT's, but Lekk and Clary might both develop into decent players.

I can't wait for pre-season to get a look at the young beef.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, I'm thinking that they may try to keep Clary to replace Oben as McNeill's backup, if Oben retires after this season.

23. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Our backup OL might be start as a unit for KC this year.

• Like Like x 1
  24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If they only keep two interior backups, I can definitely see them keeping three OT backups, especially if one or two of those guys could be moved inside in a pinch.

25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I think wrbanwal is trying to ask: Is Roman Oben one of our two best OT's?

If so, why not start him at RT over Olivea? That gives us the option of moving Shane to guard, if he'd be an upgrade over Goff.

I know there are injury concerns, but before 2005 Oben was a durable as it gets, missed ONE game from 1997-2004.

26. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Chemistry is a big part of an OL's success. If you go shuffling one guy to another spot and moving in another guy to take his place even if the talent increases your production might not.
    I agree Olivea is the weak link for the OL (not bad for a weak link by any means), but Oben at his age and injury history is not an ideal guy to replace him with.
    I'm not so sure Olivea would be much of an upgrade over Goff either. Goff is very underrated. I can't see Olivea pulling and making a lot of the blocks that Goff makes.
    IF we had a draft pick to use on Gaither in the supplemental draft that would have been ideal. He would have been a young guy with upside to compete with Olivea. We didn't have the picks to pull that off I guess or AJ decided he wasn't interested.

This unit of 5 should probably stay together as starters for the next three or four years. Maybe Goff is replaced quicker than that, but I doubt it. If Olivea doesn't progress he might be the first to go.