1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ron Artest Trying out for the Chargers???

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by Buck Blincoe, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Do you think Artest can name the two Califoria Senators?

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    LINKY

Artest: My fault if Lakers titleless in '10

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Pardon Ron Artest if he's a bit geographically challenged and had no idea that San Diego has a big league baseball team, even though he was wearing a Padres cap.

This much he's sure of -- if his Los Angeles Lakers don't repeat as NBA champions, fans can point their fingers at him.

"They should. That's exactly what should happen if we don't repeat," the star forward said during a visit to promote the Lakers' exhibition game against the Denver Nuggets at the San Diego Sports Arena on Oct. 23.

"They won last year, and I'm the new addition. The fans expect to repeat. Everybody in L.A. expects a second ring. And if we don't then yeah, they should point it right at me, throwing tomatoes and everything."

Artest joined the Lakers as a free agent on July 8, signing a five-year deal worth about $33 million. He is the team's only addition, essentially switching places with Trevor Ariza, who left the Lakers to take Artest's spot with the Rockets.

Artest said he was proud to be making his first promotional appearance for the Lakers. He wore an all-black Kobe Bryant jersey as a tribute to his new teammate.

"It makes me more excited, gives me a better understanding of what jersey I'm actually putting on," Artest said. "So today I decided to wear the black Kobe Bryant jersey, because he is the 'Black Mamba,' and I'm really happy to be a part of this team and I'm really excited just to be an addition, an asset, to the guy, to the [Derek] Fishers and the [Andrew] Bynums and all the rest of the players."

During a wide-ranging news conference at the San Diego Chargers' media trailer, Artest drew some laughs with a few slip-ups.

"I didn't realize how far L.A.'s tentacles, or whatever you want to call them, extend, all the way to San Diego. I thought I was going to be getting some Golden State Warrior fans, because I didn't know where I was at. Most of the fans are Lakers fans, so that's great.

"And I'm also here to say that next year I'll be trying out for the San Diego Chargers, so I look forward to that. Hopefully I can play some baseball. Is there a baseball team here?"

“The fans expect to repeat. Everybody in L.A. expects a second ring. And if we don't then yeah, they should point it right at me, throwing tomatoes and everything.
    ” -- Ron Artest

You're wearing the hat, he was told.

"I know I'm wearing the hat. I just love the SD. The logo looks great. I didn't realize there was a baseball team in San Diego." (Stupid action.....)

A tough, physical defender, Artest had some spirited moments against Bryant when the Rockets pushed the Lakers to seven games in the second round of the playoffs.

"That was friendship what you saw out there with me and Kobe," Artest said. "That's like hard-core friendship, you know, like back in the days -- fight against your best friend when you were younger and go out and get some ice cream later? That's what that was. It was just so competitive.

"I just knew that my team was going to win. Of course we lost Yao [Ming], which hurt the Rockets. And Kobe wanted to win, and he knew his team was going to win. It was like, 'OK, I know you but I don't care nothing about you, maybe I have to step on your toes and give you a couple of elbows and get you ejected twice, whatever it takes to win, that's what I'm going to do.'"

Artest was ejected from Games 2 and 3 against the Lakers. In Game 2, he received a technical and was ejected after pointing and making a gesture near his throat after complaining that Bryant had elbowed him in the throat under the basket.

Artest was ejected from Game 3 after a flagrant foul on Pau Gasol.

It's all good now that they're all teammates.

"That's what I love about Kobe. He's so tough," Artest said. "He was great when he was younger, but he's much more competitive now. I didn't envision myself playing with him. I always wanted to play against him. I always wanted to beat Kobe Bryant. But I'm more than happy to be playing with Kobe."

A native New Yorker, Artest said he's turning into a West Coast kind of guy.

"I'm learning a lot of different ways of California. Is this Southern California?" he said, apparently not realizing San Diego is as southern as it gets. "It never rains in Southern California, huh? I'm turning into a Southern California guy. I'm happy to be a Southern Californian, or whatever you want to call it."

The Lakers open training camp Sept. 29 at their headquarters in El Segundo.

3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Ron Artraitor is a douche bag.

:tdown:

4. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    He is a douche bag...he proved that in Detroit, but he has the kind of toughness the Lakers need.

The same with Rasheed Wallace in Boston...I'm certainly no Sheed fan, but he provides that tough-assed, elbow in the face, controls the boards toughness the C's haven't had since Kevin McHale retired.

If the Celtics stay healthy, the Lakers will have their hands full next spring.

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    He so overrated... I'm a Rockets fan..

He chucks up like twenty 3's a game and makes like 2. You Laker fans will grow tired of him and he will KILL your team chemistry.

Sure he brings "toughness" but the con's out weigh the pro's. Trust me. I had NBA league pass last year and had to watch through pain... The only reason we won 50+ games last year was because of Yao and Brooks.

"Brandon Roy is the best player i've ever guarded". :lol:

6. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I'm a Celtic fan not a Laker fan, but I do like the Lakers.

I think Phil Jackson can make Artest at least tractable. You can't discount chemistry, and that just might be what makes him successful...or not...with the Lakers. LA is an altogether different basketball town from Houston...things happen to players when they put on the purple and gold. Chamberlain, Kareem, Shaq, (Malone and Peyton were anomolies and suffered through some disastrous coaching and some disastrous player f***-ups).

It will be interesting to watch...can Kobe and Artest get along? But the real question is will LeBron cede some power and ego to Shaq? I don't think so, and it will be fun to watch how Shaq will get out of playing for large amounts of the season. But who knows....you have to love the drama that is NBA basketball.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    No room on the bandwagon for Ron.

8. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I know your a Celtics fan.. lol

I was talking about the board generally, most of them are Laker fans...

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Ron Artest is awesome.

10. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    :lol::lol::lol:

This is why I love Ron...:icon_rofl:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    :tup:

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

You mean like Sheed did in Wash, Atl, and Portland??

I would like nothing more

13. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I suspect he's heard the word b1tch before.

14. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Artest is awesome

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Yep.

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Sorry Buck,

Sheed is done and Artest hasn't tasted a championship.

Edge Lakers

17. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    You know, the Jailblazer teams were insane!!! Talented, yes, but I mean CooCoo. A book about the stories of that team would be the bestselling sport book ever!

Read these...
    http://thebiglead.com/?p=5319

18. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    You might be right, but as I said, chemistry. Tough to discount. We'll know shortly.

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    yup. Don't tell anyone but I'm a Celt fan for my East team.

:lol:

Nothing better than Celtics/Laker championship

20. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    NBA basketball doesn't get better than that.