1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Rivera concerned about Mike Martz

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

ESPN Chicago.com
    8-13-2010

San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera has been doing his homework on Mike Martz, and the study sessions have given him pause about Martz's first game as the Chicago Bears offensive coordinator on Saturday.

"We went back and we watched Coach Martz's offense and things he had done in the past," Rivera said Friday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "We looked at some [film] later on San Francisco stuff where they started to get explosive down the end of the 2008 season.

"Really saw some things that were, I don't want to say scary, but it causes a little bit of concern because of how they attacked vertically."

Rivera, who was the Bears defensive coordinator from 2004 to 2006, understands the danger of attacking the wide-open system.

"If you're playing coverage, you got to be over the top of everybody because if the quarterback hits the guy running down the seam, it's going to be a big play," he said. "If you bring pressure, you got to make sure somebody is running with everybody else, or it's a big play. There is some concern because its an explosive offense."

Rivera is more familiar with Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, who played for the Denver Broncos before joining the Bears last season.

"A few years ago we were playing against Jay Cutler, who we thought, and I still think is a young, dynamic quarterback because he's got a live arm, he's athletic and mobile," Rivera said.

Rivera is glad to see the return of linebacker Brian Urlacher, who led Rivera's defense to Super Bowl XLI.

"Brian is good young man," Rivera said. "I hope he does come back, has a great season and I hope he is a Pro Bowl player. "Brian is a different kind of animal there. He's a big athletic, physical player. He's also a very smart player."

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Phu.ck Cutler. Get in his head early.

Shouldn't be too hard - there's plenty of empty space. :icon_twisted:

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    C'mon Ron, It's only a preseason game. Making Cutlet and his team more dangerous than they are, shouldn't be your concern. When your defence gets all puzzles together and SD takes a win you only want to say: WE got over a good widespread offence.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There is absolutely no way the whole ball of wax in Martz's offense is going to show today. His first year, new system that may or may not have the people to be implemented properly and an exhibish game that almost everyone of the roster will put in an appearance in a meaningless game means BFD.

5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

The agony of anticipation

The Bears' preseason opener will give fans plenty of ammo to jump to conclusions

Saturday night in San Diego, Cutler will, in a sense, debut once again, this time sharing the stage and unrealistic expectations with Martz and the entire Bears' offense.

And this time, while Cutler has just as many reasons to suffer through growing pains, no one can tell us not to read too much into it.

If Cutler zings passes behind, over and through his seemingly surprised receivers as he did a year ago; if the offensive line gets Cutler flattened; if Matt Forte doesn't look like the old Matt Forte and Chester Taylor like a new Bears weapon against whatever the San Diego Chargers throw out there on defense, there will be angst aplenty.

angst aplenty :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/columns/story?id=5462819

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I will have to stay in isolation because I have a family birthday to attend, but I will watch the reply with all the Left Tackle angst I can muster.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    We already know how to beat Cutler.

Have Philip walk out near where he is warming up and talk some ****.

Game. Over.

8. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :yes:

9. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Cutler made two good throws on one drive and both the Bears announcers and ESPN thought he looked relaxed and confident. :lol: Forget the fact that once again he sucked in the red-zone.

Rivers on the other hand had Clary doing everything he could to kill his drive yet Philip threw a TD.

Rivers will always be Cutler's daddy. :yes:

I wonder if they shook hands after the game?

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Absolutely. And I'm thinking no on the handshake thing. :lol:

I even heard/read some of the Chicago fans saying that Martz is better now than Coryell was. :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

11. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Sounds like sceaming banshee behind me at the game, who repeatedly yelled " Da Bears!!"...to which I added at one point "...are 15 points behind!!".

Martz + Cutler = Epic fail, Martz's firing in the off-season

12. Boltsessive

Boltsessive Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    On TV at the end of the gam, Rivers and Cutler did the pat on the back brush by, and then you see Cutler and Volek talk after a hand shake.