1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Rivera douters FU

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SD Native WY, Jan 3, 2009.

1. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Ron Rivera has allowed the Chargers to be where they are now. Any doubters can kiss my ***.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I don't know why anyone has doubted him.

This is the guy that had the Chicago Bears in the Super Bowl with Rex freakin Grossman as his team's QB.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont think anyone has doubted him. Infact in the thread that stated he was one of the people the Jets wanted to speak with, most said they did not want him to leave.

I love the tude Rivera's D has!

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    yep, Its why were still playing. And will have a good chance to win it all. Rivera has this chargers defense playing about as good as humanly possible without merriman. Add merrinan and this would be the best defense in the league. Geez. Thankgod A.j. and spanos got their brains working right to make Rivera the d-coach.:yes:

For Gods sake Spanos and A.j. give Rivera a huge contract to keep him on as d-coach.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Rivera has these guys playing again. Perfect? not nearly. But they want it now. They know what's being asked of them.

HUGE difference. Cottrell broke these guys' spirits to a large degree. :icon_sad:

Rivera is giving it back. That's the mentality of a player's coach. :tup:

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Letting our defense attack at the end of the game gave the offense a chance!

7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I wanted them to hire Rivera over Teddy originally ..

8. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Defense played a damn good game overall! Nice job Rivera!

SciFi deserves to be taken out to dinner by the "D"!

9. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Rivera is Da Man...

If the Chargers go deeper into the playoffs I can see him getting a HC job somewhere.

Man... after 1.5 years of Cottrell I want Rivera to stay on the job in SD.

10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree...let him have the defense from preseason on!:tup:

11. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Never doubted him and as long as we go deep into the playoffs, no one will be able to interview him for a HC job.

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I cannot wait to see what Rivera can do with this defense and an entire offseason. I love this man - I love his linebacker eyes - I love that the players love to play for him.

SIGN HIM UP!

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    God, i hope these head coaching searches get filled ASAP, i would HATE to lose this guy after this year. This guy is going to be a great head coach one day and is a main reason we are where we are.

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Ron Rivera is a better DC than Wade Phillips.

Considering what he had to work with this season, in injuries to some defensive players, he's still called a brilliantly done defense.

The movement pre-snap to confuse the Colts OL blocking assignments was masterful for most of the game.

As Madden said, Peyton was ready for it, but his OL wasn't.

15. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    :blink:

Rivera has the defense playing much better and that is a good thing. Would love to see what additions he wants to make next season and with Merriman back. We will be tough.

16. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I think that this was the main proof that Rivera is a defensive stud. How much film did he analyze to figure out that Peyton doesn't call his play until the play clock is at around 10 seconds so he gets a good look at the defensive formation? Our defense is the first I've seen do this against Peyton, the man who is infamous for calling audibles and trying to confuse defenses with talking so much.

Also props to Cooper for directing traffic so well and making the proper defensive audibles to counteract Peyton's plays.

GO BOLTS!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Remember, he also faced these guys in the Super Bowl when he was the Bears' DC. For most of the game, it was close, but that fack-up known as Rex Grossman quite literally turned the game over to the Colts.

If Rivers was the Bears' QB that game, the Colts lose and Chicago celebrates it's second SB victory.

18. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Not sure if this article has been posted on here but if it hasn't it's a great read. It puts a shiit grin on my face just thinking of what he could do with a healthy Merriman and a whole offseason to work with the D.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...ense/?chargers

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The thought of a 100% healthy Merriman and 100% healthy Cromartie (rumors of him with a hip injury all regular season) give Rivera major wood.

:abq2::abq1:

20. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    "We're sorry, the page you were looking for was not found.

Please try using the site navigation or search box above.
    "
    :no:

21. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    That was a great wrinkle that took a whole half to adjust to. In the second half Peyton started hiking the ball around the 10 second mark to counter it but it still didn't matter as the D was pretty much locked in.

IMO (outside of Rivers on offense) Coopers play on defense has been the biggest reason that we made a late season run into the playoffs.

22. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
  23. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    :lol::lol:

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Just what I was thinking... does anyone doubt him? :icon_shrug:

25. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
  26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I hope we get to see RR back next year. :bolt: :tup:

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Benching Hart was a good move (even though injury might have something to do with it). Promoting the likes of Gregory and Oliver has improved this D. Now he just has to see that Cro and Wilhelm are the remaining weak links.

I don't ever wanna see Wilhelm on D again. If anyone were to isolate his play last nite it would make saturday night live. He is a moron. :icon_evil:

As for Cro, injury?, whatever. This guy is clearly mentally challenged. He needs to sit. Bring Gordon in, he will be a big improvement.

28. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Who doubted him?:icon_shrug:

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You and me both, DB. What a friggin' waste of space.

Please, Ron - remember that Merriman will be back. There's your incentive to stay. :yes:

30. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Hey Buck, d'ya see Shaun Phillips grab him after another whiff!?. Moron Whiffhelm falls flat on his face again, gets up and slaps his helmet with both hands, the way one does after missing a play. Shaun gets in his face... he probably said 'forget about it, goto the next play' or something. He shoulda said 'lie the F down, pretend uv been shot and get carted off, we don't need ur white *** out here u mouthy loser Bollix!!!!!!!!!!!!'.

:icon_evil:

In terms of players I have not wanted as a Charger I think he is now top of the list.... Others who made it in the past were the likes of Marcellus Wiley, Bob Thomas, Stanley Richard, Ryan Leaf and Wayne Davis.