1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Rivera meets with defense for 3 hours

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    October 6, 2009

Two days after allowing the Pittsburgh Steelers 497 yards and 38 points, the Chargers defense met -- as a whole and in position groups -- for almost three hours today.

"We took a good look at some things," Luis Castillo said.

Ron Rivera addressed the entire defense, showing certain plays and making players accountable. Then they split up into positions.

The defensive line, then linebackers and then defensive back emerged from those meetings an hour or more after the offensive groups had finished.

"It was long," safety Clinton Hart said. "But we needed it. It was definitely worth it."

The Chargers defense continues to talk about not having played within the plays that were called as their main problem Sunday. They talked yesterday about being accountable and trusting one another on the field.

"When you give up 500 yards you;ve got to regroup and then you've got to to have a wake-up call," linebacker Kevin Burnett said

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    No 'dramatic' changes

By Kevin Acee October 5, 2009

On the heels of a disastrous defensive night in Pittsbirgh (38 points and 497 yards allowed) there were questions asked of Norv Turner today about possible changes in the defensive lineup.

“If we move it a little bit where one guy is playing more than he has been that might be one of the things (that happens)," Turner said. "Right now, I don’t see any dramatic changes.”

That said, don't be surprised to see Kevin Ellison active and getting more snaps at strong safety, or for Antoine Cason to perhaps keep pushing Antonio Cromartie at corner.

The most significant change in playing time will likely occur due to players taking the bye week to get healthy.

Barring a trade, the Chargers will bank on Travis Johnson to better the defensive line rotation just by virtue of being an extra body. Four players handled the bulk of the playing time there the past two weeks.

Johnson is expected to return to practice in a limited fashion this week.

Others who will likely be limited during the bye, as the team practices on Wednesday and Thursday: Luis Castilo (arm) Jacques Cesaire (calf), Malcom Floyd (shoulder) Shawne Merriman (groing), Ogemdi Nwagbuo (ankle), Shaun Phillips (calf), Kris Wilson (wrist).

Stephen Cooper (knee) and Scott Mruczkowski (knee) are expected to sit out both practices.

Turner said he expects everyone back at practice next week as the team prepares for its Oct. 19 game against Denver.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Playing musical chairs with the players is not the answer.

Yelling at the players is not the answer.

Getting players UP FRONT IS THE ANSWER. :bolt:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Remind me again who does that? :lol:

5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Is definetly part of the answer!

These guys are unmotivated and someone getting in there face is what they needed.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Wait... You are the guy complaining about LT... Are you not advocating a musical chair game there?

News flash, things have to change. If player A outplays player B... Player A starts. That is part of the answer!

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not sure how many Bolt fans caught it but remember Rivera melting down on the sidelines early on in the Steelers game ?

That yelling and getting in the players faces resulted in what ? :icon_shrug:

We all saw the results when we were down 28-0....and en-route to surrendering 38 points.

8. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    We need to play some guys who know how to tackle... sh!t maybe they should practice a little tackling these next two weeks. These little girly arm tackles that keep missing have got to stop.

I watch them let the ball carriers streak by them and want to shout "OLE" like the matadors who sidestep the bull as he runs past. Stop the wussie tackling for crying out loud... let's play some tough football. Want to see how tackling is supposed to be done? Watch the game film of the Steelers from last game.

BTW- STFU Clinton Hart... how come this guy still has a job?

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree with Powayslugger. After watching the Vikes/Packers game on MNF, did you see how both teams wrapped up players (on the most part) esp. the Vikes. Heck we even saw good old Ben Leber (remember him?) wrap up the TE on the Packers for a TD saving goal line stand! Man, the Chargers D needs to take notes. Maybe watching this might help.....

[​IMG]

10. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Took 3 hours because he made them watch that horrible SNF game Geico commercials and all.

But I do hope that we see a change in the secondary with Cason moving opposite of Jammer, Cro going back to NB where he had much success in 2007 and Ellison getting more play time. Up front we don't have the beef, but we should make up for it once our LB's decide to start playing hard.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yup. Till we start playing defense, we're the San Iego Chargers. :no:

12. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    2-2 at the bye. Could be the 0-4 Titans. Now that's a good team struggling.

Could be the 0-4 Chiefs, or the 1-3 Raiders.

If we can turn this around to manage to be 10-6 we could have hope going to the playoffs.

We did outscore Pittsburgh 28-10 in the 2nd half because they couldn't stop the hurry up offense.

I vote for no huddle in the first quarter in EVERY game. :icon_rofl:

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Umm he did that after we were down 21-0. He might have gotten something out of them had he done it after the first drive, but these players were already done at that point.

We got back into this game not from the D but because of the O and ST. These cats were already deflated.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Join the marines, you'll be motivated and all they do is yell at you.

Football can't and never should be compared to combat, but these *******s need to be whipped into shape.

Fawk why am I even trying. :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Doesn't he meet with them every day during the week for 3 hours?

I would think long-*** game debrief meetings would be the norm.

16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    They met for a good hour or so longer than the Offense did.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not a NASCAR fan, but I'm reminded of something that the late Dale Earnhardt once said .... paraphrased, but it went basically like this ....

"If they can't take, tell them to tie kerosene rags around their ankles so the ants don't crawl up & eat their candy-asses."

Musical chairs is way different than sitting under-performing players or moving them into a a position where you feel they are better-suited.

THAT is a part of what is called COACHING. :yes:

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Heard Acee on earlier today and the Chargers guy from the NC Times on XX Sports Radio - they both said the same thing

Cromartie's job is officially up for grabs and Cason is going to take alot of first team snaps
    Ellison is going to be given first team snaps as well

19. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Me likely. I think Ellison can bring some hitting into the mix.

Cason is just smarter than Cro. Smart is good when you are playing like dumbshits.

20. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I think someone said a rock was smarter than Cro. :yes:

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I want to see what Kevin Ellison can do... :yes: I hope he is what we been looking for at SS... :tup:

I WANT BEEF...:abq2:

22. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I have wanted beef in the first round for the last 15 years. And every time I have been told we can address that line with F/A's.

Good teams do not let good lineman go, and we still haven’t addressed the line in the draft, and we still need beef because we do not bring F/A’s in.

So much for building a team through the draft or through free agency.

23. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Where is the beef?

Hardwick is good, but he is an undersized player. I want a beefy center. Our D-line has Castillo and two light weight rookies. Two veterans. Our trenches are dead both ways. Its not the coaching staff that drafts. I doubt they have any real say over AJ smith. Aj isn't the type of GM that lets others make decsions for him.

Fact is AJ is decent for UDFA, decent finding a couple. Last few drafts he has been hitting wrong. No trading down for more picks. No activity in Free agency. Weddle one of his better pickups. However, first round we should of picked up a O-line OR trade it for a high 2nd and maybe a couple of others. Waters and Siler not great picks. TE Chandler is gone.

We needed Beef and all AJ got us was chicken.

24. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Poor guy:no: had to be in there for a long time.

25. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Norv can't think that fast.!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

26. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Utilizing Gates earlier wouldn't hurt either. Is it a surprise that our offense gets rolling once Gates starts getting involved? Don't always go for the long ball, and don't make Rivers scramble that never works.

27. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Wow after reading through this thread it brings back memories of last year when many were saying there was no discipline and the team needed to be whipped into shape. But many others said that players that make this kind of money should be able to motivate themselves.

Wow how thoughts change in a second consecutive season of the same dismal discipline, effort and play.:yes:

The more things change the more they stay the same.:lol:

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    All they had to do was sit through a meeting, hell they should still be running the bleachers.

29. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    They could pull a groin doing that!!!!:lol:

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That three hour meeting should have been out on the practice field, with his comments back ground music to tackling practice.