1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Rivera possibility in Carolina

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 2, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Report: Rob Ryan “on the list” in Carolina

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 2, 2011, 8:36 AM EST

On Friday, Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said he’d be “really shocked” if he didn’t interview for head coaching jobs this year.

Asked if he heard anything specific, Ryan smartly said that kind of talk wasn’t allowed yet. But it appears some conversations have been going on behind the scenes.

John Czarnecki of FoxSports.com reports Rob Ryan is “on the list” of prospective head coaching candidates in Carolina and is expected to interview there. Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera is mentioned as another possibility.

It’s expected that Panthers owner Jerry Richardson will go for a first time head coach. Arizona’s Russ Grimm has been mentioned as a possibility, but Darin Gantt of the Charlotte Observer has downplayed the chance of that happening.

Report: Rob Ryan “on the list” in Carolina | ProFootballTalk

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    John Fox would be a good DC in San Diego.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I wouldn't lose any sleep if Rivera left. Don't want him fired or anything, just don't really care if he leaves

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We do have a guy who has been waiting for a chance to become a full fledged DC in John Pagano, I'd be sorry if Rivera left but I think we have a good replacement

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    this

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Panthers interviewing Ron Rivera

Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2011, 7:06 PM EST

After the Chargers shut down the Colts and quarterback Peyton Manning earlier this year, we suggested that any team in the AFC South considering a new coach should consider Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

As it turns out, a team in the NFC South will be giving him a look-see.

Per a league source, the Panthers will interview Rivera.

The Bears’ defensive coordinator during their Super Bowl season of 2006, Rivera had said that he won’t consider any opportunities until the Chargers’ season ends. But that declaration came at a time when it appeared that the Chargers season would extend beyond Week 17.

So the bad news for the Chargers could be good news for Rivera, which may be even more bad news for the Chargers.

The Panthers recently announced that eight-year coach John Fox and his staff will not be returning in 2011. Fox’s contract ran through the 2010 season.

Rumor Mill | ProFootballTalk

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'd like to see him stay.

Him and Joiner

The rest can go

8. ArkansasBoltFan

ArkansasBoltFan Norv Gotta Go

Ratings:
    +0
    Of all the coaches I want to GTFO, Rivera would be the one possibly on the outs.

Heck at this rate, maybe Ole' Norvell could take the defensive reigns.....

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only a smart team that wanted to improve would have Rivera as thier head coach. Guy made the bears defense the best in the league. Then he made the chargers defense the best in the league. Am i missing something here.

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I think Rivera does a lot more for the defense, and the team as a whole, then any of us realize. It was the best in the league this year, just as the Bears had the best with Rivera in 2006. I want him to stay, just seems like something that isn't broken and could go to hell fast without at least some continuity at the top.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That Bears defense was A) Absolutely STACKED with talent in their prime when Rivera was there, B) Rivera was a DC in name only - much like Shelmon is an OC in name only here. Lovie Smith was calling the plays and running that defense, and it says A LOT about Rivera that the Bears - after a Super Bowl runner-up run - were willing to just let Rivera walk because they had Smith's real right-hand guy still under contract, that being Bob Babich.

Rivera is playing our CB's against their skill sets and force-feeding his scheme versus playing to the strengths of his team. This was a statistical Top 5 defense, but quite frankly watching them play week to week you wouldn't say that to look at them. They didn't show up in the points of games where they were needed most. The couldn't hold ground to end drives and get off the field nearly as often as they were in favorable position to do so. And they benefited "statistically" from the terrible initial field position that the offense and special teams and their turnovers put them in (they gave up less yards en route to getting scored on, hence they looked better on paper). Top defenses in the league don't get pushed around and out physical-ed by team that's just happen to want it more. Our did... on multiple occasions.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Look beyond the stats, foober. As LBC said - we got pushed around when teams took the position that they were going to be physical. We could have lost a couple more games if teams had stuck with pounding the ball.

13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    We aren't stacked on the defensive side of the ball and the fact that Rivera could take this rag tag group and make them a top defense says something about how good a coach he is. Crosby got dealt the same hand with the special teams and we see how badly that turned out. Rivera can coach. Rivera can motivate... that's not something Norv can do. I'd hate to lose him but I can see him doing well as a head coach.

Losing him will put us in a bigger hole than we might realize right now... but hey Wade Phillips is looking for a job and I think Wade still has a better grasp of the 3-4 than Rivera ever did.

Our whole problem is "who's going to MOTIVATE these guys to play"? Say what you want about them not needing that because they are professionals... hey they're football players and part of the football culture is getting fired up... and staying fired up for ALL THE GAMES in a season. If anyone hasn't noticed we haven't had that fire since Norval came to town.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Funny, because they didn't really lose much when he left, and all the reports out of Chicago were that Lovie really ran the defense, kind of like how Norv runs the offense not Shelman. It is also funny that he had the #1 defense, Chicago let him go, and he couldn't even get another DC job in the league, and had to settle for a LB coach job here. I guess the rest of the league may have agreed that he wasn't the reason for their great defense

15. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I wouldnt care if Rivera left or not.. its like it doesnt matter to me.. i hope we improve our team in thee draft and free agency though.. our defense needs the talent Rivera had in Chi-town.. we just need a few more defensive pieces.. **** Larry English btw i feel he was a wasted pick

16. dodoberuh

dodoberuh BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Brady wraps up the Dolphins win

Tom Brady was up early, making his weekly appearance on WEEI with "boston com/]SportsCenter" on in the background, when Patriots highlights came on the program His preschool-aged son Jack, who has been in the postgame locker room a couple of times this season wearing a number 12 jersey, saw the Pats, and likely his famous father, come on the screen and said excitedly, "Daddy, that's you!" boston com/

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thanks for the 411... Why does this amount to a hill of beans in regards to the topic of the thread?

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Is Rivera gone yet? the sooner the better, building a #1 defense against bottom feeders isn't saying much. Hell, it should have been one of the all time greats with all the slugs he went up against.

19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I wouldn't mind bringing Wade Phillips back as DC. If Rivera is leaving he better do it soon because Wade won't be out there for long.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There are rumors saying Wade will end up in Houston.

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What would say much to you? The Bears great D did not play all the best teams of their season, you play who is in front of you. Seriously, how some fans can look for reasons to **** on the teams acomplishments is simply confounding at times...

Sorry you got angst against this seasons D, I loved what they did, the secondary was the best I have seen since Gill Byrd retired.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm not crapping all over how the unit did, I'm just taking it with a grain of salt. And I'm doing so because I didn't see a lot that has lead me to believe that there's a high chance of delivering that same statistical result on a consistent year-to-year basis given present staff and personnel.

Yes, this team is going to have opportunities to improve. Yes, you can only play the teams put on your schedule. But consistency was not this defenses strong-point aside from a few areas this season - and in those areas you really do have to consider the quality of product faced relative to the performances we put up.

I agree that Rivera has done a very good job of playing to the strengths of some of our players, but he's also done so at the expense of some of our others. We're still susceptible to the deep pass far, far more than I'm comfortable with, only now it's on our CB's getting beaten in the 2nd 5-yards from the LOS - because they're playing off-man and not able to jam their man at the line - and opposing offenses exploiting our cheating/showing-blitz with a safety in the flats to torch us down the wing... versus 2006 when the wings were flat out dangerous to throw on against us, but the post-routes were available like jawbreakers in a candy shop because the likes of Clinton Hart couldn't defend a jump-ball to save their lives.

I'm not going to complain in the least if Rivera is back as the Chargers' DC next season - I happen to like his attacking style and his choice to utilize delayed blitzes versus just outright trying to jailbreak everything - but I'm not going to see it as near the end of the word if he's hired away because he is replaceable. Though those candidates are rather quickly running out (Wade likely in Houston, Marvin Lewis staying in Cincy... God, can we please get Manusky back as a LB coach?).

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Who would want the coaching job in Carolina? Seriously, it's one HUGE cluster *uck in the making. Carolina's owner did nothing this season to help their previous coach, John Fox. What evidence is there to suggest he would with a new coach?

24. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    @LBC

As "susceptible to the long pass" as the defense was in your eyes, no one actually made big plays on the Chargers' D. Receivers had historically low averages, high YAC as always, and QBs struggled immensely to find open receivers while to avoid a relentless blitzing defense. Big plays? Not on the Chargers. Didn't they rank 3rd in scoring defense?

25. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
  26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ron Rivera headed for second interview in Carolina

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 9, 2011, 11:56 AM EST

We may have a favorite for the Carolina Panthers head coaching position.

SI’s Peter King reports that Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera is headed for a second interview with the Panthers on Sunday. A second interview often precedes a job offer, although that’s not always the case. Perhaps the Panthers pick a few “finalists” for the position.

Carolina has interviewed four defensive coordinators for the job: Cleveland’s Rob Ryan, San Francisco’s Greg Manusky, Perry Fewell of the Giants, and Rivera.

Ron Rivera headed for second interview in Carolina | ProFootballTalk

27. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Who can we get to replace Rivera? Rob Ryan?

28. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I would have suggested Wade Phillips, but the bastard took the HOU job to quick.

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Interesting thought - we lose Rivera we might lose Stephen Cooper who loves rivera and vice versa. As to who would replace him I think John pagano. He's been here for a while and was even considered as a replacement when cottrell was fired.

30. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    If Rivera goes to Carolina...who will we get to replace him as defensive Coordinator? If not Pagano...who??