1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Rivera to interview with Bills?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reddenedbeard, Jan 2, 2010.

1. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
  2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    This can be win-win.

Win on the side that Ron deserved HC consideration after his first SB appearance, and only after seeing the failings of the current Bears does Ron get his due credit for orchestrating one heck of a defensive unit.

Win on our side, as well...don't get me wrong, I really, REALLY like Ron as our DC, but let's be realistic: he will be a hot commodity as a head coach. I would not be shocked to see us re-hire Wade after he is fired this season :lol:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Wade appears to be safe in Dallas since he'll make the playoffs. If Rivera splits and Wade remains in Dallas then who would be our dc?

4. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Maybe John Pagano gets his chance?

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Sheet, I had a feeling this could happen.

To be honest. WE need Rivera more than we need NOrv. i'm having to guess Buddy Nix knows that Rivera is a very good coach. Wish the chargers could figure it out. WE loose Rivera and other than wade phillips who is there that can run a 3/4. OR knows how to use our guys effecitvely. No one I can think of. I don't think there is anyone.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I wouldn't want Wade back under any circumstance. I'd rather promote from within or get a 3/4 guru like Le Beau (SP) of the Stiller's.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    It looks like smiley has wade phillips on a short leash but will hang onto him one more year. I wonder if its just to spite the chargers. They must have known we'd want wade back badly if and when RIvera got a head coaching job. Sheet. sheet, sheet.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Hear hear. Give Pagano a chance. He's been talked of v highly for years. I don't want Wade back, been there done that, seen too much prevent.

If we don't he could do a 'Greg Manusky' on us and be gone before we know it.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd be surprised if he got the job, they've been talking about Charlie Weis for a while now.

10. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I agree that Pagano would be a better choice, but Giants fans thought that Sheridan would be able to keep the defensive mojo flowing in NY...I am just overly-fearful about a similar circumstance here...but I know that this is more of an aberration than a trend, so I should stop being so gutless :).

But seriously, the best case scenario: we keep Ron Rivera. Period.

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    As HC? It would be moronic for any team to hire Weis as a HC after the flame out at ND.

I do not want to lose Rivera yet.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I didn't think they could approach a coach until after the season/playoff's or Super Bowl?:icon_shrug::icon_huh:

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    that's what I thought as well.

14. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I think they can during the bye week.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    :lol: I know. But some people seem to think he's just better for the pro game.

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Notre Dame's troubles this year weren't offensive. They were defensive, where in 4 of their 6 losses, they allowed 30+ points and yet still lost by just one score. Weis left the defense to be run by Jon Tenuta while he concentrated on the offense.

Notre Dame fired the wrong guy, IMO.

17. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Mike Nolan. Offer him more money and an assistant HC position. I am sure he rather be under Norv than McDaniels.

Has about as much of a chance of happening as Ron being HC of the Bills.

18. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    While you are right about Notre Dame's ills, they stunk on defense because Weis couldn't recruit defensive players.

Tenuda has had great D's wherever he has gone except ND. 2 years ago their best player on defense was an undersized LB (Maurice Crum) who barely got a sniff from NFL teams and didn't make it out of camp.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think he'll make a horrible HC but we'll see.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Just to play devil's advocate, he wouldn't have to recruit in the NFL.

Sure, he may have some input on the draft but in the end that's the GM's job.

21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

right statement :tup:

22. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Care to justify? As for the first time, we agree on something, but I am curious to hear why you think this way.

Rivera has always seemed like a very soft-spoken guy, someone who is able to lead his players quietly and strategically, but I am not sure if he is the guy you look to for encouragement and motivation when seasons are on the line.

He seemed to just fade away from the coaching scene after the Bears threw him to the burb, and I expected someone of his defensive caliber to go out with much more of a bang. :icon_huh:

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    The same has been said about Norv Turner on many occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    That would be kind of funny considering Norv worked under Nolan in San Francisco. :lol:

25. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Cuz he's a troll

26. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    No, I agree with you.

I was more responding to the "Tenuda is more at fault than Weis", comment. I just realized I quoted the wrong post.

27. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    +rep for a very, very good point.

I guess I just wish he petitioned more to become a HC as opposed to settle to not even move back into a DC role, but a role as our linebacker coach...very underwhelming way to settle, IMO.

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's one reason. I was happy when he was coming here from the start but I had mentioned in an earlier post that around that time, I visited Chicago to host a seminar. After talking to many locals/Bears fans, not one of them had anything good to say about him and were glad he's gone.

As of now, I'm not impressed. Sure he's better that Cottell but that's not saying much.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Lance Briggs wants Rivera back

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4663838/briggs-wonders-what-might-have-been

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/lance-briggs-bears-miss-ron-rivera/

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1946413,CST-SPT-bear18.article

30. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    anyone going to bring up the name "Ted Cottrell" ?

LMAO........ :icon_rofl: