1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Rivera

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I'm sure it was all Clarence Shelmons fault. :abq2:

2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The Bolts held their own against the turds. Take away that blown coverage between Hart & Cromartie and it wasn't that bad. Could it have been better? Yes, but you say that about every team every game.

I would have to say that the Bears of old had better players then we have on defense. Losing one of their top teir players wasn't as big a loss as it is for us because they had more talent on the field the we do.

I won't even argue the 3rd point of yours because that will always be a never ending battle. We can lose 3-2 and the same can be said about the defense doing its job. Where is the cutoff? We actually scored more times then they did 6-5 but they were able to hold our offense to field goals. To be considered a SB contender we need to score inside the 10 with 1st and goal and we failed.

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    jesus ****ing christ, thank you. This shits gettung REALLY old guys, it's only the second week and we had high expectations with a healthy roster, don't worry, we'll figure it out. We're lucky that we suffered injuries early and not close to playoffs. Sound crazy? No, now we know that without Jamal, 3-4 doesn't work, 4-3 is better, 4 run gaps, 4 linemen. Perfect. Now we have a chance to build some chemistry on the line throughout the season. It could be worse guys. Quit your *****ing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    But, didn't you guys hear? We're like, the best team ever and stuff.

5. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    We indeed have one of the most talented rosters bar none. What we lack is intensity and heart.

6. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Now that is depressing...that is worse than having marginal talent on our d and o lines.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    It's fixable though, don't trip potato chip. Just look at the second half of this game and (most of) the fourth quarter in Oakland.

8. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    You are correct, our line gets better as the game goes on...hope it kicks in by the second quarter next week; I hope the intensity and heart kicks in this week during practice!

9. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    **** that I hope we make a statement all game.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Wrong. Yesterday's loss was indeed Norv's fault.

This thread is not about yesterday's game. It's about Rivera being unimpressive so far. Please take time to read the thread before replying.

Thank you.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's the coach's job!!!

12. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    Sure, let's give the coach a pair of pads and a helmet, and we'll see how intense he plays. No, it falls on the players, to bring the intensity and the heart, they're the ones who need to make the plays.

13. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree that the players need to have the intensity and heart; but I also believe that the coach needs to harness the intensity and leverage it for game day...if a team does not have intensity it always starts with faulting the leaders. This is true for sports or any job...the managment team sets the tempo.

14. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    I agree, but the coaches can only do so much. After kickoff, it's all players, then the coach can only tell them how to adjust and call the necessary time-outs.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The heart and intensity begins at the side lines. You don't know **** if you don't know that!!!

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Read this post, Norvys!!!

17. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    Wow pretty harsh. I do agree that if the ground work is not set during the week, you can't expect the performance during the game. I guess the debate is around dose the staff set the correct intensity level during the week...which the players can feed on during the game. It is my opinion the staff fails to set the appropriate tempo...but it is just an opinion.

18. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    I'm not denying that, but who plays the game, the coach doesn't make the block, doesn't make the catch, doesn't hit the qb, none of that. If you've ever coached any sport you've realized you're pretty powerless on the sidelines.

19. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I have managed little league teams, so I know what you are talking about. I think the difference is in the NFL...it is expected that players should only need the leadership to ensure they perform at the highest level. In addition, it is hard to motivate the whole team...fire the coach and a message is sent to everyone loud and clear.

20. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    But we don't need a new coach, we need to do our ****ing job. It's not the coaches fault if we **** up during the game, it's the coaches fault if we are ill prepared.

21. Holy_Bolt

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree with you...I'm not a Norv hater...even thought I was pissed at him on Sunday. I don't think Norv should be fired at this point in the season. I was speaking more in principal. Our D and O lines need to step up. With that said, you can't keep failing for any reason (even if good) and keep the same managment team...it is hard core, but a change will have to happen if we are not in the show this year. Cold but true...three stikes and you are out.

I'm still on the high side for our team...we can do this if the team steps up. Our offense can overcome a lot...my concern is defense typically wins superbowls.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And we ALWAYS are under Norv!!!
    The play calling is also on the coach!

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What I noticed more than anything was missed tackles. Rivera seems to have consistently put players on the football, but these guys have missed tackles time and time again. Sometimes three guys miss as running back on the same play. Time to start holding some tackling drills and forcing guys to run wind sprints on Mondays if the miss tackles like that.

24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    As pissed as I am at Norv I think it'd be stupid to fire him right now.

They've made their bed and they have to sleep in it.

You don't change head coach's mid season if you're a playoff contender. (And, despite everything, the Chargers are)

I'd be pissed if the Chargers sent a signal that they're essentially giving up on the season, especially when taking the divisional "competition" into consideration. (I'm not convinced of Denver yet, lucky pass last week and facing Cleveland this week...)

That being said, barring a Super Bowl victory, I'm all for his dismissal in the offseason.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Firing Norval at at this point WOULD be counterproductive. He needs to clamp down on the mistakes and missed tackles. My biggest disappointment so far is Merriman. Malcom Floyd needs to move ahead of Chambers on the depth chart. I'm ready to package Buster and Chambers with a mid round to trade for some help.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yeah. Even if we reach a point where we're officially out of the playoffs, I would not agree with firing him until the last game of the season.

The window is closing and anything less of the Super Bowl should call for his dismissal. As then, AJ should be on the hot seat!!!

27. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    The defense played well in the second half and we may only have two sacks so far but believe it or not that is 2 more sacks than Dallas' defense has this season.

Merriman if you havent noticed is not 100%.

28. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    up downs *****es.

29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    this

Someone needs to understand that just because you support your TEAM doesn't mean you want to blow the h/c.

30. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    theres a cold cut difference between that and running around wanting to fire everyone because we lost one game... and its only week two...