1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ron Rivera?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Oct 6, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I had mentioned a few months ago that I had worked a seminar in Chicago a couple of years ago and I was just talking to some locals and Bears fans. They all said they hated Rivera and glad he left.

Now before some posters get bent, I liked Rivera from the start. I was glad when he came here and even more when Cotell got fired and he took over. But there is reason to question how good he really is.

First off, our defense sucks. Yes losing Jamal hurt but this is ridiculous!

I liked the fire he showed on the side line after the score was 14-0 but the players looked like statues. They showed absolutely no reaction as if everything he was saying was going in one ear and out the other.

How do players like Cromarti turn from Pro Bowlers to dog s*it?

Before kick off on Sunday night, Merriman looked like "Lights Out" on the side lines and I got excited. After kickoff, he stood at the side lines like a deer in head lights.

I figured the hate that the Bears fans had for him was about his comments about being a HC else where before the Super Bowl (which was inappropriate at the time) but maybe there's more to it.

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm not impressed by his defense one bit, that's why I also don't want him as a replacement for Norv :no:

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Unless Rivera is telling these guys to purposely find themselves out of position to make tackles, and when they're near the ball carrier to look as if they're trying to give the guy a handjob, I'd say its moreso the players not Rivera.

Watch that game again, in open field the first defender did nothing to impose their will. On multiple plays there were multiple attempted arm tackles. Scheme isn't going to solve those woes. Its embarrassing to watch them tackle, just friggin rediculous.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    His schemes have not provided any real improvement from Cottrell's, he keeps blitzing but the opposing teams pick them up like they knew what was coming ahead of time. So part of it is definitely his fault as well

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I have to admit, I'm losing faith in Rivera too and thought very highly of him esp after taking over for fat Teddy. But now I really am questioning his schemes and preparation of this team. I know we are devoid of talent in key areas, NT and safety, but championship teams deal with key injuries (see Pitt). Non championship teams do not (us). I'm for bringing back Wade when Dallas fires him. Our 3-4 D was awesome with him. Then again Wade had a lot of talent to work with too.

6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Being able to tackle should be a prerequisite for getting on the field. I don't care if you are slow. Cromartie shows speed is overrated. Your scheme can make up for lack of speed. But if you play defense you have to be able to tackle first and foremost.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It's Norv's fault.

8. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    You guys are missing the one simple fact: All championship teams have PLAYERS! We have weak players on D. Every good team has and will always have players first and coaching second. The players play not the coaches. Its not Ron's D as much as its AJ's choices to neglect the lines. Just watch some of these other teams Lines. They make ours look like garbage and that's what they are. We can have wide receivers, tight ends, running backs, linebackers, and the best safeties in the game and it doesn't mean sh*t unless you have good strong and relentless BEEF!

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It's Norv's fault those guys can't play anymore. FACT!!!

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I guess it is now Norv, AJ and Rivera.

It is all AJ's, Norv's and Rivera"s Fault for all the wrongs regarding the Chargers.

Now I guess we are going to see a relentless Anti Rivera Posts and Threads to go with the Anti Norv and AJ Posts and Threads.

It is time for the :popcorn: and watch the show.

11. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    These guys are all strong and fast. Some a little stronger and some a little faster.

Fundamentals, conditioning, and coaching is what we need. Is it not apparent that our bookend LB's are not producing like 2 years ago? Same players, no production.

This is why Marty was shipped down the river when we were beat by an "inferior" team in the playoffs, at home, after dominating a 14-2 season. Coaching. Billicheat smoked Martyball in the planning phase of that game.

12. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i dont think it was martyball that got beat that game

13. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Yup. He let a disfunctioning DB play at a very crutial time in the game. It was his job to prepare the Coordinators who in turn prepare the players mentally and physically.

He also started playing very conservative once we built a lead. Instead of crush a competitive team while you have a chance, we got preservation mode. Watched it happen the whole time he was here.

Classic Martyball.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly. As I keep saying "80% of our players had never played in the playoffs at that time, and we went against a team that's been there and won it many times." That's why I don't understand your statement about "being beat by an inferior team," Daddy_O.

Also, with McCardell and Floyd out... who did we have for receivers? Did we even have a legitimate goto guy? Osgood, Camarillo, Jackson (in his rookie season), Parker... I'd say "no."

15. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.......hold on now, (damn why do I keep asking for DC as my adopted Bolts?) I vote for it's the players and not the coach (for teh most part) Rivera showed last year and late in games this year (except for Pitt) that he can lead this defense to a higher level. Problem is, the players either seem to have short term memory, aren't real starters or just stupid. How you can be coached from one half to the other and have them play like night & day just tells me that these players do not have what it takes to get up for a game at the beginning. Then throw in getting owned for 3 quarters, well, you have to lose some confidence. Mentally I believe they just don't match up at times. When teams are leaving tire marks on our backs I ould love to see Ellison & Dobbins in there. We need to be more physical and with the players we have out there is just isn't going to happen. I don't keep stats or anything like that but how many times are the runs going Cro way vs Jammer? Teams know Jammer is a gamer where Cro, well.....he doen't even arm tackle you he just tries to bump you or "hand" tackle you. What is "hand" tackle you ask????? I have no idea but I'm thinking Cro might patent it. Yes, Rivera does have issues with scemes at times but he has a tough task with some of the players he has. He has linemen that can't get past opposing teams OL matched up man to man, so when you are rushing 3 lineman that leaves 2 OL free to pick up LB's and oh, let';s not forget if they leave a RB in to also block. Personally , I see us getting in more trouble bringing 6 pass rushers because our guys just don't seem to ahve the strength or the moves to get to a QB.

16. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Hate to play the devils advocate here....But Shawn Phillips was only considered a bookend LB because Shawne Merriman was creating so many mismatches on teams OLine.

Phillips has done nothing since Merriman left. And if you go back to my post earlier in the year, and for the last 2 you will see that Steven Cooper is a big liability as well. Cooper is **** at shedding blocks and is a marginal blitzer.

You can see that with Merriman not his former self that we are not near the same team we were 2 years ago.

The DLine and OLine are ****, our Lb's get no pressure which means cro and Jammer have to play 10 yards off the ball. And Clinton Hart is a joke. I'll take Kevin Ellison right now over Hart.