1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ronnie Brown chose Chargers over Broncos

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Oct 28, 2009
    Ronnie Brown chose Chargers over Broncos

Ronnie Brown had options Monday night.

The former Texans running back was a free agent for a few days, cut last Wednesday for the first time in his 10-year NFL career. He moved home Sunday night and spent Monday with family, he and his wife dropping off their son at school and watching television at the house.

The Chargers called his agent hours later.

They weren't the first team.

Brown practiced Wednesday in San Diego for the first time since January. The 32-year-old said that he chose the Chargers over the Broncos, who lost running back Montee Ball to a Sunday groin injury and were first to express interest.

He spent 2012-2013 with the Chargers.

"It was kind of like a no-brainer," Brown said. "A familiar situation to come in and be familiar with the system, I thought it was the right decision for myself, and I just took it. Now I'm here."

He could see the field Sunday.

Brown can serve a complementary role in the passing game, given his strength in pass protection as well as a receiver, while rookie Branden Oliver projects to see the bulk of touches against the Raiders. Shaun Draughn also is in the mix.

San Diego is without its top three running backs from the start of the season. Danny Woodhead (tibula) had surgery last week — it went as hoped, a source said — and is out for the year. Donald Brown suffered a concussion Sunday and didn't practice Wednesday. Ryan Mathews could return as early as this month but has yet to resume running since a right MCL sprain on Sept. 14.

Brown, for all his familiarity in the Chargers offense, acknowledged it will be a process before he regains full comfort. He had to learn the Texans' playbook upon signing with the club in mid-August.

"Now, I go back to what I was trying to forget," Brown said. "But it's good. A lot of the stuff I'm familiar with. They put in some new stuff that I have to learn, but for the most part, a lot of the stuff is just hearing it and seeing it. 'Oh, here we go.' Even some of the plays today, I hadn't heard them in so long, but when I heard it, it was like, 'Ah. I (remember).' "
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Oct 7, 2010
    Who wouldn't. A lighting quick War horse or that thing OJ rode to run from the cops. lol
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Aug 12, 2006
    OK so Ronnie probably knows the system/plays better than Draughn but for my money Draughn offers more. I can see Ronnie involved in pass pro mainly.
    • Agree Agree x 1

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006

A very good steed indeed.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Oct 2, 2011