1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ronny Brown DUI

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Mar 23, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Another NFL star is arrested this week!! Man has there been alot of negative media attention surrounding NFL players in recent weeks!

[​IMG]
    From the miami herold
    "Another DUI arrest a disturbing trend for Miami Dolphins
    Ronnie Brown, who was charged with DUI, was in his hometown for a family gathering, the AP reported.
    Get Adobe Flash player
    In this police photo released Monday, March 22, 2010 by the Smyrna Police Depart shows Miami Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown in a booking photo, who was arrested for drunken driving Saturday morning March 20, 2010.
    In this police photo released Monday, March 22, 2010 by the Smyrna Police Depart shows Miami Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown in a booking photo, who was arrested for drunken driving Saturday morning March 20, 2010.
    Smyrna Police Department / AP Photo

[​IMG]
    Related Content

* Miami Dolphins to address recent controversy
    * Miami Dolphins are shopping guard Justin Smiley
    * Blog | Compensatory pick: Dolphins add 7th rounder
    * Chat with Dolphins fans

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
    jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

A Miami Herald report about Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown's weekend arrest under the charge of driving under the influence of alcohol was confirmed by the Associated Press, which added Monday that Brown was in his hometown of Cartersville, Ga., celebrating his parents' 32nd wedding anniversary.

Brown, who was arrested at 4:29 a.m. Saturday, was driving home from a club after spending the earlier portion of his night with his family at a dinner.

Joyce Brown, Ronnie's mother, told the AP she believes her son was targeted because he is a black man who was driving a high-priced car.

Marietta, Ga., police confirmed the arrest to the AP, but they did not confirm the details initially reported by The Miami Herald.

Sources said Brown was stopped for failing to use a traffic signal while changing lanes. He has hired an attorney.

The running back did not perform well on a field sobriety test following the traffic stop, according to sources.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/23/1542521/fall-from-grace.html#ixzz0iyuuFX7M"

2. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    those tests are rigged to make you fail them. So what, he didn't signal? Big deal! That is no indication of drunk driving. Cops are so damn dickless

3. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I agree. I don't know why he there was no breathalyzer? I guess he was smart and refused even though in alot of states u can be arrested for refusing but I guess with a good attorney that might save u from dui from lack of evidence. I know in Arizona they have taken to forcefully withdrawing your blood at the scene of a dui if u refuse a breathalyzer. Who knows whether he was really drunk or a dangerous driver but it just seems like alot of players have been in the lime light for suspicion of criminal activity lately.

4. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Fu¢ken cops are too dickless to focus on other things. Instead of trying to arrest every star athlete on some minor charge that may not have been committed, why don't they go stop all the gangs, drugs, illegal immigrants, or prostitutes? I don't get it

5. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

They don't seem to have done to good a job at stopping all those other things that they do focus on. With the exception of violent gangs the other crimes are less of a threat to the safety of the unconsenting than a dui(if its a significantly high level).

Regardless DUI laws are a bit funny. Any limit on impairment is somewhat arbitrary as there is a continuum of effects for one and different people will have different levels of driving competence/incompetence at different levels of intoxication as there are better and worse sober drivers...

I find it a bit strange that 0.1% could be "safe" and then it could arbitrarily changed to .08% BAC. If someone is at .083 does that really constitute more enough of a danger than .079 to justify the very punitive penalties...

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Beats the hell out of me :icon_huh:

7. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    yeh its all MADD's fault. Get mad at MADD. I mean drunk driving can kill but there needs to be a reasonable distinction between BAC and actual impairment. Some lightweight at .081 vs a lifelong alcoholic at .081 is likely a big difference in driving ability holding all else equal:icon_shrug:

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I hear what you are saying, but for law enforcement purposes, you can't make it subjective. You have to pick some number that is the line that you have either crossed or not.

9. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Right I hear you too. But the BAC line may not be the right line as it isn't necisarily the same impairment line for everyone. In reality it is actually punishing different people for different levels of impairment just as subjective enforcement would...

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Brown narrowly missed oncoming vehicle

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 25, 2010 9:05 PM ET

More details have come out from Ronnie Brown's police report, this time broken down by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Brown twice drifted into the lane of oncoming traffic, at one point "narrowly missing an approaching southbound vehicle" as he drove his BMW. He was arrested for DUI last Friday.

The running back has a spotless previous record, which could help him avoid a league suspension. But news like this coming out won't help his case.