1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Roofed stadium makes sense for San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Nick Canepa, UNION-TRIBUNE COLUMNIST
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Roll this around your cranium for a while: A soft, retractable roof on a new downtown San Diego stadium. Think of the possibilities. Isn’t this what the American dream is all about, a roof over your head?
    We’re not talking about those ugly domes on stadia in foul-weather climates. But as the Chargers, City Hall and the Centre City Development Corporation continue their new football stadium discussions on a downtown footprint near Petco Park and the Convention Center, the idea of a soft, retractable roof on the structure is starting to enter the picture.
    As talks progress, it is just that, an idea. But it makes sense — and not in the way conventional domed stadiums make sense in areas where the elements so often come into play.
    By themselves, football stadiums servicing some 20 games (college and pro) per year are not economically prudent. A new stadium downtown would have to be multi-purpose, handling more than just the Chargers. It would have to be an attraction. Me, I think it should include a Navy-Marine museum. We don’t have one here, which is incredible enough.
    “The idea is a good one,” says Mark Fabiani, the Chargers’ point man on the new stadium issue. “You’ve got to make people come in year-round, like the Packers do in Green Bay.”
    Says Fred Maas, who chairs the CCDC: “We should celebrate what we’ve had here with the Navy and the Marines. Absolutely.”
    And a roof could help it become a reality, because there has to be something else to a stadium here other than football. A soft, retractable roof — like the ones on some stadiums in Japan — could open the door for many downtown events.
    “There has been some discussion about a retractable roof, creating an event center,” Fabiani says. “It could hold big conventions that require a lot of flat space our convention center doesn’t have. It could host a Final Four.”
    The last time a Final Four was held here was 1975, in the Sports Arena, but over time the event has gravitated to large, domed stadiums, as we saw in Indianapolis this year. So the West Coast is getting shut out of one of this country’s premier sporting events.
    Future Final Four sites: 2011, Reliant Stadium, Houston; 2012, Superdome, New Orleans; 2013, Georgia Dome, Atlanta; 2014, Cowboys Stadium, North Texas; 2015, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis; and 2016, it’s back to Reliant.
    Really, the only place west of Dallas that will do is University of Phoenix Stadium, home of the NFL Cardinals. California has nothing.
    “It’s definitely something we’re looking at as part of a downtown complex,” Fabiani says. “It not only could hold Super Bowls, but major events such as the Final Four and World Cup, events people would love to see in San Diego. A roof can be a powerful attraction. The American Medical Association requires a huge amount of flat space for its convention. It would work here — with a roof.
    “And a soft roof it’s not hugely expensive — much less expensive in a good climate. It’s not going to cost $200 million to put on a roof. What makes downtown attractive is that it’s cheaper, no infrastructure, no parking garages to build. It’s all there, right? Compared to Qualcomm, Escondido and Oceanside, it’s dramatically cheaper. That’s why it’s a cool site.”
    Enthusiastic about the idea is Maas, who is genuinely enthusiastic about a whole lot of things, even though he works in a city where getting things done is a root canal without Novocain. This is a very smart guy.
    “We’ve only talked about it in an informal way, but with the new technology available, I think it’s a fabulous idea,” Maas says. “A multi-use stadium would work perfectly downtown.
    “It would completely open up the landscape, to create something special and not limit it to football, but soccer and Final Fours and events of all kinds. San Diego Live, a sports and entertainment complex. It should be part of the dialogue. To me, it’s astounding people would oppose it.”
    Oh, but it will be opposed. Isn’t everything, as we’ve just seen with the rejection of plans to enhance the Embarcadero? We’re talking toddler steps here.
    The City Council next Tuesday is scheduled to hear arguments on whether to raise the CCDC’s financial cap, which limits tax money it can collect from a blighted project area. There isn’t enough dough now to get everything done the CCDC wants to get done. Without getting into the complicated details, if raising the cap is approved, some of the revenue could be used to aid in building a stadium.
    “There isn’t a lot to do until the cap is resolved,” Fabiani says. “There are going to be people who say downtown isn’t blighted, that there’s no justification for raising the cap. It’s a bear to get this done, but it’s good that the mayor (Jerry Sanders) wants to.”
    Meanwhile, the creatures trying to get an NFL team in Los Angeles continue to stir, with downtown L.A. the latest target. But that’s at least a year or two away, what with an NFL lockout of players in 2011 becoming more of a possibility.
    By 2011, franchises in Minnesota, Jacksonville, St. Louis and Oakland could be looking to move. The local team has Southern California all to itself. Fabiani says some 30 percent of the Chargers’ business comes from L.A. and Orange County, and I’m sure club president Dean Spanos would like to keep it that way.
    “There’s one chair in L.A., and nobody circling it,” Fabiani says. “L.A.’s so dysfunctional and Dean has been very patient.”
    But new franchises haven’t become threats to his market. Yet. Time to start putting a lid on this stadium thing.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup:

3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Read the headline and laughed. Not laughing now.

Damn good idea.

The convention center coupled with a retractable light roofed domed stadium would be an absoute convention & major event magnet.

Coupled with the airport all of 5 minutes away, would be an unstoppable combination almost no city could compete with.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I don't care what it looks like/how it's designed/where it's located. Just build SOMETHING please!

• Like Like x 1
  5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    What's wrong with Qualcomm?

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

7. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I like the q too. Mainly the bolts can't make enough money bc there aren't enough luxury boxes...

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Have you been there?
    It's a DUMP! :yes:

9. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    It's older than your mother.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    you mean besides that it's crumbling....:unsure:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If they build it, I will come. :abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

:icon_party: :icon_banana:

12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Is this heaven? No, it's San Diego
    :abq2: :icon_banana: Field of Dreams Reference :icon_banana: :abq2:

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    And floods when it rains...

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    and it's incapable of attracting much of anything besides monster truck rally's in the offseason..... costing the city nearly 20mil/yr just to maintain..... preventing us from ever hosting another Super Bowl..... riddled with OSHA violations, one of which resulted in the death of an employee.... worst sightlines in the NFL complete w/field level seats where you can't even see the game w/out standing on tiptoe.....

need more? I got plenty of reasons ;)

15. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    And nobody even mentioned the bathrooms! :lol:

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    My seats were (past tense) right by the bathrooms on the 50 yard line. This was probably one of my biggest complaints. Even by entering the bathroom exit door which makes for shorter pee periods, you still had to wait until half the quarter was over to get back to your seats. F-that.

As much money as it costs to go to the games, someone should be at least be taking a piss for me but noooo.

17. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890

The Q is that a Quarantine ready to happen. The Bathrooms suck to access for the Disabled and even for the able bodied person. The Lady Fans are suffering because of the longest lines in history just to Pee. :tdown:
    The Concession stands are not accessible as well.

It is my opinion a waste of Tax payer money.

A New Stadium is needed. :yes:

18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Boxes at Chargers stadium deemed unsafe after fall

April 21, 2010
    CBS Sports

SAN DIEGO (AP) - A California safety agency investigating the fatal fall of a San Diego Chargers employee says more than a dozen viewing boxes at Qualcomm Stadium are unsafe and need protective barriers.

The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health sent the safety report to the city and the Chargers. It was obtained by KGTV/Channel 10 in San Diego.

The agency was investigating the Oct. 19 fall of 66-year-old Walt Daniels, who fell more than 20 feet from a coaches booth in the press box to stadium seats below.

He died at a hospital the next day.

The report says Daniels was delivering programs when he stumbled on stairs, fell down the stairwell, hit a chair and slid off a table through the opening.

The city attorney's office says it's reviewing the report.

19. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Just build something and let the Chargers stay in San Diego !

Besides retractable roofs lokk great. Story is on the right track.

20. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    First off the Q really can't hold many if any events. This along with its terrible condition makes it a waste the way it is being used.

They put the Q downtown with a roof and they could have concerts. Street scene, or utilize it as part, a bunch. San Diego right now has a lot of events that could be moved to other places. The dome would only increase the amount of events in San Diego. If designed correctly it could be a big money maker, and like many new stadiums make more money through other events then Football.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Again, RTL took the words right out of my mouth. Dome or no dome. JUST BUILD THE MOTHER FREAKIN THING ALREADY. The soft dome idea is a pretty good one though. Final Fours, HUGE conventions, Comicon, concerts, etc. would be no problem. I love the Navy/Marine Museum too since San Diego is such a HUGE military town. JUST BUILD IT ALREADY!!!