1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie defender Martin quickly tackling lessons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Chris Jenkins, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Thursday, December 24, 2009

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers are ecstatic about the progress of rookie defensive end Vaughn Martin, who has been seeing more time each game since returning to the active roster and could see even more snaps tomorrow if Jacques Cesaire is limited.
    “He’s learning to play the game — the little subtle nuance he’s never had to worry about because he was always bigger and better than everybody,” defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. “He’s really learning and understanding the concepts of what we do defensively and the nuances of what he’s going to need.”
    While playing for the University of Western Ontario, Martin didn’t have much need to worry about his hand and feet placement and where his eyes go during a play. These are the “nuances” that make a difference in the NFL.
    A couple Chargers veterans have said Martin is the most physically gifted defensive lineman on the team and predicted he will be a Pro Bowler when he learns how to use that skill.
    Martin, the first Canadian College player to leave school a year early and get drafted, is reluctant to talk about his progress.
    “Every day I got out there I work a little harder,” Martin said. “Everyone has something to learn, but me, I was way behind. We all know that.”
  2. Airw0lf

Airw0lf BoltTalker

Jan 12, 2008
    Good luck to him. Sounds like he has all the tools he needs to succeed. It's just a matter of application.
  3. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Nov 13, 2009
    I really like this guy and I think he has a huge future. I can't wait to see more of him. He could be a difference maker in the playoffs.
    I was glad to see him record a tackle last week, he celebrated like he won the Super Bowl :lol:
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2006
    I was re-watching last week's game today and Martin really impressed. Un the 3rd quarter he pancaked the tackle who was trying to block him and then on the next play he fought off the tackle and dragged down Benson for a 3 yard gain on a play that looked like it was going to go for alot more. This kid is growing up in a hurry. He's also shown some ability to collapse the pocket. I think our D Line is going to be really good next year, assuming Jamal comes back healthy, with Martin and Castillo as the ends and guys like Cesaire, Boone and Ngwabouauaeioa rotating in.
  5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Aug 17, 2006
    Martin is getting better. I have hopes for martin. :yes: