1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie Development Squad

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I like the 53 man roster, and I like the Practice Squad for developing players, but I'd like to see the NFL add a third category.

Rookie Developmental Squad. This would allow teams to keep another 4 or 5 players that are ONLY rookie 2nd day draft picks or rookie UDFA's. Like the IR, once they are placed on the RDS they can't be activated for that season, but they could still practice with the team. It gives the team more players to use as the scout team, while developing a few players each year without tying up a roster spot, or exposing them to waivers (as required before placement on the Practice Squad).

For the Chargers, this would be a benefit to guys that will have a hard time making the roster, like OT Clary or CB/KR/PR Gordon. Teams make an initial investment in these young players, and many times lose them by the waiver wire when trying to stash them on the Practice Squad.

Developing young players should be encouraged by league rules, not inhibited. Somebody call the new Commish and get him working on it. :)

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,888
    Id sooner allow the entire 53 man roster and the PS to be active during the games

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This is what NFL Europe is about. Right?

I think we can call up a heartbeat from these ranks during the season and do not have to clear waivers.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm thinking more in terms of a way to keep a few more rooks to develop them WITHOUT exposing them to the waiver wire and be poached by other teams.

This would help ALL teams develop some young talent and raise the overall quality of the NFL.

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The negative side of it from NFLE is that they have 2 separate drafts that for a particlular year.

1. they have the ones Allocated from the NFL to draft from.

2. They also get the second draft from other areas of the world like Japan, Indonesia, Africa and South America and so forth including American colleges.

If they use the system that Trumpie is suggesting it affects the no.2 draft for the teams that uses that system but the NFL Allocated players are exempt from the rules.

So if what Trumpie is suggesting is that the NFL will always have the Supplemental Draft system every single year and then will be the 4 or 5 extra players to be protected for a team from that draft and it would most definitely effect the first draft the following years draft and to me that will not be cool at all because some teams might have at the worst case senerios will be 3 picks in the first draft and most likely will be 4th through 7th round picks due to escalators the the NFL imposes on a potential players from College in the Supplemental Draft including what the rules governing the Supplemental Draft are right now. On that one I would say no to that system.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have some sort of a system to have more protected players just in cases like Shammie said to protect players like Clary and Gordan and to me that would F'in Rock. :icon_beerbang:GO CHARGERS.:icon_beerbang: