1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie Martin ”continuing to get better”

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Casey Pearce

Chargers rookie defensive end Vaughn Martin feels he’s getting better and stronger as he prepares for his first NFL training camp.

Chargers defensive end Vaughn Martin feels it’s all coming together. The light is coming on. He’s getting stronger and picking up the defense.

But six weeks into his transition from Canadian College football to the NFL, Martin is also having his patience tested a bit as he learns a whole new level of football.

“I’ve gotten a little better, but probably my biggest challenge has been not getting frustrated,” Martin said following Monday’s practice. “I’ve still got a long way to go. Sometimes it gets a little frustrating. You’ve just got to realize that there are things you’ve got to work on and when you get frustrated it’s a detriment to yourself.”

Martin claims he hasn’t been surprised by anything his new job entails, mainly because he didn’t have any preconceived notions when he arrived. His feels his biggest challenges have come in the little things.

“It’s mostly technical things,” Martin said. “It takes a while to get perfect. I’m just trying to be consistent as possible each play. Anyone can put a good play together but the way you make the team better is by playing at a consistent level.”

While Martin gave a humble review of his own work Monday, Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner has been impressed with Martin’s work ethic and desire to improve.

“Everything he does on the weight room, on the field, individual period and team period, I think he’s continuing to get better,” Turner said.

The London, Ontario native weighed 327 pounds when the Chargers selected him with the first of their three fourth round picks in April’s draft. Martin isn’t necessarily looking to shed pounds but believes he has gained some muscle mass while working with Strength and Conditioning coaches Jeff Hurd and Vernon Stephens.

“I think it’s more my body changing,” Martin said. “I feel a lot better and I’m a lot stronger in the weight room than I was when I got here.”

Most of the Chargers veterans concluded the on-field portion of Offseason Coaching Sessions last week, but the rookies and a few young veterans worked Monday and have three additional practices this week. Martin has found OCS’s very beneficial.

“It’s for young guys,” Martin said. “You don’t want to be learning in training camp. The last couple of weeks have been very important to me. The goal is to make yourself better so you can help the team. I just want to be someone that can be counted on.”

Extra work

All of the Chargers rookies were on hand for Monday’s practice, as were several young veterans such as Antoine Cason, Cletis Gordon, Antwan Applewhite, Brandon Siler and Jyles Tucker.

“These are guys that can use the work,” Turner said. “They get more reps.”

Tight end Kris Wilson is also participating this week as he wraps up his first offseason in San Diego.

“I’m doing a lot of different things, so these extra reps really help,” Wilson said.

‘Champs’ deadline approaches

Chargers Champions will again award college scholarships to 10 San Diego County juniors and will make several large grants to San Diego schools to fund physical fitness, nutrition or athletic programs. Applications, which are available by clicking here, must be postmarked by next Friday, June 26.

Since the program's inception, nearly $4 million has been awarded to local youth and area schools. Created by Alex and Dean Spanos in 2000, Chargers Champions is the number-one supporter of San Diego County's educational community. Since the beginning of the program, the Chargers have honored and supported more than 175 students, 46 educators and 76 schools.

2. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Good to know that Martin has his head on straight, and seems to understand that there's no substitute for hard work. :tup:

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You can tell that Martin is an intelligent kid & believes in himself from the interviews I've seen. He's going to make an impact on the team this year. Bank it. :tup: