1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie mini camp updates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, May 16, 2014.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Here I think it would be a fun thread to post news and updates and pics about our rookies this weekend.

I'll start it off

Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 7m
    Chris Watt lining up at RG during team drills.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Attaochu confident, well adjusted
    By Nick Canepa2:28 p.m.May 15, 2014

If Jeremiah Attaochu enjoys pie, humble is not his favorite.

“Jerry” may have been born in Nigeria. His family may have moved to Washington, D.C. when he was 8. But this is a 21-year-old who oozes athletic swagger. Rarely have I met a young man so sure of himself, so positive of his abilities, so certain he’s going to succeed -- and yet, at the same time, so pleasant.

The NFL may be big, but not too big for him. Jerry Attaochu is unafraid. And if you’re going to play outside linebacker in The League for many years, which the former Georgia Tech star plans to do, then the Chargers’ second-round draft choice has the right attitude.

He’s here to be a force.

“I’m going to be an amazing player,” concedes the 6-3, 253-pound Attaochu, in town for the team’s weekend rookie camp. “I’ve been blessed throughout my career and I hope to continue that here. I’m going to be a fixture on this defense for years to come.

“I was a three-star recruit out of high school playing with all these 4-and-5-star guys. I had the drive to succeed. I was one of the best pass rushers to go through Georgia Tech. But I’m not a big hype guy. I came here to go to work.”

Attaochu is such a mild, articulate, seemingly well-adjusted kid, you wonder how he makes it in a violent game. But he’s obviously one of those players with an on-off switch. When he plays football, the ornery comes out.

“I’m mean,” he says. “Ask any of my teammates. That’s who I am. When I started playing the game, I was that crazy kid on the field. I had intensity people couldn’t match. Off the field, I’m a completely different person.

“My teammates thought I was crazy, but I have to be in that state of mind when I play. I’m always in a state of paranoia. I’ve got to take your head off. There is no calm to me on the field.”

Attaochu may have been born in Nigeria, but if he walked up to you and said hello you’d have no idea he wasn’t born here. There is no accent. A science, technology and culture major at Georgia Tech -- he has a semester to complete before graduation, which he plans to do -- English is his first language.

“My mom and dad spoke English in our house,” he says. “Kids in school spoke English; we spoke British English.

“My dad was an exchange student here in the ‘80s. He went back and married my mom. It was a little different for us. We weren’t poor. We had a decent house. My dad finished ministry school and went to work for a church in D.C. He still works there and hopes to start his own church in Maryland.

“If I went back to Nigeria, I probably wouldn’t be able to survive. But it was a good life then.”

A life without American football. He had no idea. He played soccer. He didn’t see an NFL game until he came to the United States. His freshman year at Archbishop Carroll High in D.C., he saw a line for athletic physicals and went in a room hoping to make the soccer team.

“I was lost, a shy kid walking around,” he says. “The freshman football coach was sitting behind a desk and asked me how big I was. I told him, “6-1, 185.” He said I was playing football. An adult asks me to do something and I do it.

“They made me a wide receiver. I didn’t even know how to put pads on; I needed somebody else’s help. I was horrible. Then they made me a linebacker and it came to me naturally. I got promoted to varsity the next year because I was significantly better than everyone else.”

There is bold to this young man. At the Senior Bowl, teams had tables set up in a hotel lobby, and Attaochu didn’t wait to be invited to the Chargers’ station.

“I asked them if they were scouting me,” he says. “I had a formal interview with them at the Combine. I had my fingers crossed I would come here.”

He has a chance to play and also learn behind veteran outside linebackers Jarret Johnson and Dwight Freeney. He will have time to study. There are no women in his life. At present.

“I always say the wrong things to women,” he admits. “I should just keep my mouth shut.”

Jerry Attaochu says he listens to adults. My only advice to him, having been married 42 years: That’s a good idea.

• Like Like x 3
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Draft right to Mini Camps, seems a bit fast to me. Need to move the draft back to April.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
  7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,218
    "It was just another sunny day in San Diego..."

Pointy Pulitzer

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I find the interesting bit of news being, Chris Watt at RG, instead of trying him out at Center, or just getting him use to the play calling at his natural spot LG

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Law looks the part: At 6-foot-1 and 255 pounds, outside linebacker Cordarro Law made his presence felt. The Southern Mississippi product finished with 14 sacks in the CFL with the Calgary Stampeders in 2013, and signed a futures contract with San Diego in January. Now, the 25-year-old is fighting an uphill battle to make the final roster. Law batted down a pass and looked quick coming off the edge during team drills.

Watt at right guard: Third-round pick Chris Watt was touted for his versatility, with an ability to play all three interior offensive line positions. However, Watt was lined up at right guard at rookie minicamp -- the same position of Jeromey Clary, who is to make $4.55 million in total compensation in 2014. Watt lining up at right guard probably is not a coincidence.

Talent in the secondary: Although first-round draft choice Jason Verrett did not practice because he’s still rehabbing from shoulder surgery, a couple young defensive backs caught my eye during team drills. Arizona State product Alden Darby had a nice pass breakup over the middle, and so did Auburn cornerback Chris Davis. At 5-10 and 192 pounds, Darby looked fluid going through individual drills with the defensive backs. Davis, at 5-10 and 201 pounds, is stoutly built like a running back. Rutgers product Brandon Jones also made a nice break on the ball to pick off a pass during team drills. Jones was on the practice squad last season for San Diego.

Roll call: Verrett is wearing No. 22, and second-round draft choice Jerry Attaochu is No. 97. Watt is No. 65, defensive tackle Ryan Carrethers is No. 92, running back Marion Grice is No. 26 and receiver Tevin Reese is No. 84.

Excused absences: Offensive guard D.J. Johnson and Reese will not be at the rookie minicamp this week so they can attend graduation ceremonies. Along with Verrett, Grice did not practice because of a foot injury.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    I'd imagine, knowing Joe D he will be tried out at all 3 interior O line positions over next month or so.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Thanks for the notes B4L. Really love seeing/reading this stuff. Who was the QB in minicamp btw?, can't have been Sorensen right?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    You're welcome, my pleasure. Any glimpse of Charger activity interests me and I'm glad others appreciate it. The QB I believe is Jason Maxwell. A kid from Michigan st. who was a walk on tryout

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Andrew Maxwell?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,218
    ^^^ Try Maxwell Coffee, or Maxwell Smart.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Anybody got anything on this new beast Watts?, the guy from West Texas was it?

19. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,218
    I do believe that Chris Watt is the kid that played at Notre Dame. Supposed to be a tenacious little bugger.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Craig Watts looks like a big boy who has a lot of power and quickness, played in a lower conference but dominated there, (best way to get noticed) has ability to play all three interior positions and potentially the tackle positions as well. His only knock is he looks like ha plays too high (but that can be coached) Also has the will and the want to be coached.
    Not sure what the ideal contract is for UDFA's and walk ons, but the fact that we signed him to a 3 year deal tells me thay like him and wanted him. Training camp will be the ultimate test but after seeing his film I hope he sticks and eventually takes over at RG, this guy playing next to Fluker could be scary
    best of all, we could have double Watts on the line:abq1::abq2:

21. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Wrong Watt.

22. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,218
    What Watt?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Watt's on second!!

Screen Shot 2014-05-24 at 1.41.08 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
  24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    More I watched Craig Watts, I think he's a real RG possibility. I've said since the beginning I thought Chris Watt was a better potential center than guard, and if Watts shows real potential at RG, i don't see why we couldn't go Watt-Watts-Fluker on the right side.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. jmoods55

jmoods55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Boy.....this Jerry fellow is shy, reserved young man isn't he?? I LOVE IT!! Maybe it's a bunch of BS and a rookie hyping himself but I think this team needs a little crazy on defense. I love Melvin and he's a killer, but we don't have a guy to rally around due to shear intensity probably since Merriman (no Weddle is not that guy :) )

26. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Quiet doesn't mean that your not intense. According to almost everyone Ingram is one of the most intense guys out there, and Jerry is the same way, they just dont like talking to the media. Butler is a very vocal player, but he isn't the hype everyone up type of guy. Weddle is definitely that guy, but he's not as intense as some of the notorious guys, he's a bit more goofy.

27. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I dont think he's a long term C, but thats just me. The biggest thing holding him back is that he's got really inconsistent movement off the snap. I really think he's a LG long term, but i think he's playing RG right now to hopefully replace Clary right away. But who knows, Joe D in the words of McCoy "thinks everyone can snap the ball" and he did start Eric Wood out at RG and kick him inside to C when he was in buffalo as well.