1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie Watch: Mathews can do it all

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Mar 28, 2007
    From ESPN:
    In the first edition of the Rookie Watch, I thought it fitting to profile the player I think is most likely going to be the offensive rookie of the year, Chargers running back Ryan Mathews. He enters my rankings at the top of the list, and I don't expect him to fall from that perch in terms of the impact he makes on his team during his rookie campaign.

The upgrade at the running back position during the preseason for San Diego has been stunning. Mathews shows a burst LaDainian Tomlinson has not in several years. And Mathews runs with anger and aggression, rarely being brought down by the first tackler. He is quick and decisive.

Mathews can churn out the tough yardage and move the chains or he can hit the home run. He also has soft hands and intriguing receiving skills. Chargers coach Norv Turner should not hesitate to dump a huge workload on Mathews' shoulders. That is what he was drafted to do, and Turner has a history of turning talented runners into stars.

In their regular-season opener, the Chargers travel to Kansas City for a matchup on "Monday Night Football." Mathews and safety Eric Berry, who opens the season at No. 7 on my list, get to battle head to head, as Berry is sure to spend some time near the line of scrimmage to help the Chiefs' ailing front seven.

This looks like a very favorable matchup for Mathews in his NFL debut. I am predicting a Chargers win and about 125 total yards from the rookie running back. It will be the first of many big days for Mathews at this level. He is going to be a star.

Here's the list.
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2007
    The only question that I have is... Can he stay healthy for a 16 + game season? In other words I hope that Norv does not run him into the ground. I really wish that we would have kept a #3 RB. The Hester/Tolbert FB duo does not count.
  3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Apr 10, 2010
    Kion Wilson being phased to FB... could mean fulltime RB title for Tolbert... sucks to be hester I guess.

I agree tho I would hate to see RM topping 275 carries more than once in a while season. I can stand a 300+ carry season for RM, but please dont run the wheels off doing 300+ back to back seasons. Seriously thou I dont see this happening too many times. The NFL RB positoin is now almost completly evolved to a 2 back system. Its not enuff to have 1 back that can do it all, you need more backs that can do alot as well. I still give RM as with rest of the majority of this years back class 7 seasons if they get 300+ carry back to back seasons going.
  4. Voiceofpoker

Voiceofpoker Life-Long Bolt Fan

Sep 7, 2010
    I know Ryan Matthews is a "rookie", but he's in NFL shape, strength and speed. You can see the way he runs that he'd be starting for most teams in the NFL right now. Can he stay healthy? I believe so, look at him, he's STOUT. I turned many heads in my FFL draft (actually two of them) when I took him as 8th overall and 11th overall. I think he'll definitely outperform Mr. "I've got my bonus yards, now I'm hurt" Tomlinson. I say BRING ON RYAN, and good riddance to bad rubbish. Let the Jets as Rex Ryan deal with L.T.'s locker room problems!