1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rookies receive their chance to shine

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jun 15, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/rookies-receive-their.htm

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    Chargers first-round draft pick Craig Davis is satisfied with the way he’s picked up the Bolts’ offense and is pleased with the progress he’s made in his first six weeks of his NFL career. Still, an opportunity to take a few more reps and soak up a little more knowledge is welcomed.

“It’s just a chance to build on what we’ve learned,” Davis said. “It’s going to help a lot.”

While Chargers veterans wrapped up the on-field portion of their offseason program with last weekend’s Mini Camp, Bolts rookies as well as a few first-year players are on the turf by themselves this week as they continue to learn and apply.

With the veterans gone, several members of the Chargers’ 2007 draft class received their opportunity to shine Tuesday, particularly second-round pick Eric Weddle, who intercepted two passes within a five-minute period.

“It felt great because I’d been working hard out here and didn’t have one yet,” Weddle said. “It makes me feel good because it shows that I’m applying what I’m learning. I was where I was supposed to be.”

Weddle’s play caught the attention of Head Coach Norv Turner over the weekend and again on Tuesday.

“He’s got a lot to learn, but he’s moving around really well and showing great instincts,” Turner said.

Another player who stood out Tuesday was tight end Legedu Naanee. The Boise State product lined up all over the field and made plays from several different positions.

“He’s a real sharp guy,” Turner said. “He’s handled all of the things we’re doing and we’ve asked him to do a lot because he’s a versatile guy. The big challenge for him will be when the pads get on and he’s doing some of the protection stuff, some of the run blocking. If he can do that we’ll be able to get him involved in the passing game.”

The rookies will work the next three days and wrap up the on-field portion of their offseason on Friday. The opening day of Training Camp ’07 is Saturday, July 28.

Click on Link to for Rest of Article

• Like Like x 2