1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Round 2 Mock draft by Bucky Brooks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...eener-osweiler-still-available?module=HP11_cp

49. San Diego Chargers: Peter Konz, Wisconsin, G/C: The recent retirement of Kris Dielman and declining performance of Nick Hardwick makes it imperative for the Chargers to add a fundamentally sound player on the interior.

Ok this is another perfect BPA scenario option. I was gonna suggest Konz, but didnt look into if he was being considered a starting C and would get drafted thus or as a G. I did hear Casserly mention how amazed he was with his pulling skill. We must get a G that at the very least has mobility AND power.

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Also surprised to see Upshaw fell in that mock to 47... Maybe im wrong about the urgency for OLBs to 3-4 teams in the high second round. Ud think since Seatt then us and then CHi at 19 and NE at 21 its pretty clear like AJ smith said we got in on the OLBs just in time for the frenzy. The # of OLBs that are better suited to play 3-4 are dwindling rapidly. The # of teams running a 3-4 this year? I think its over 15.... KC DEN SD NE PIT SF(or did they go back to 4-3 last year?) JAX HOU TENN to name a few.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I might've gone defense at that pick with Thompson or Reyes but that's not a bad pick. Konz is a road grader and a very very good lineman. Think he's an improvement over Vasquez for sure

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Huh. The Bears take the gamble on Jenkins in this mock right after our pick.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm still thinking Reyes or Dwayne Allen.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Like Ingram, Ill be happy if we just take the BPA at a PON.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    57. Denver Broncos: Brock Osweiler, Arizona State, QB: Osweiler is not a finished product at this point, but he could develop into a franchise-caliber quarterback after serving an apprenticeship behind Peyton Manning for a few years.

Seems kinda high up to pick a backup QB.. But their plan here would be to bring up another Matt Cassel/Flynn type that some team will get suckered into giving them draft picks for a more sure thing vs the iffy QB class they have to choose from otherwise.

36. Denver Broncos: Jerel Worthy, Michigan State, DT: John Fox wants to beef up the Broncos' frontline with more athletic big bodies in the middle.

Tho Considering they do have 2 2s, they could take him there and not be out much. I dont kno what else they got for the remaining rounds, but im sure they can afford to miss on one second and still have a strong draft.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    F.u.ck Denver

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    O damn I hate Casserlys 2nd round mock.

Didint find it but found this.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...target-in-second-round?module=HP11_hot_topics

1. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford: At 6-foot-6, Fleener will be an asset for any quarterback. This is an athletic, pass-catching tight end who can stretch the field down the middle, posting an unofficial 4.45 40 time during Stanford's pro day. He possesses excellent hands and can adjust to make the difficult catch. Smooth and fluid in his routes, Fleener has fine instincts and always finds a way to get open. As a blocker, he has good balance and competitiveness, though he lacks lower-body strength. His best assets are his size, hands and sense for running routes.
    2. Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin: I like his pass-protection ability. He can shuffle and slide his feet and has a good punch. Konz is also an aggressive run blocker who can get some movement. He's very adept at pulling and blocking in space, which is rare for a center. Though he does tend to play a little high and gives up some ground because of that. Even though he blocked well in space, he is not a special athlete. Wherever he ends up, he should start for a long time.

3. Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State: Silatolu dominated Division II competition as an offensive tackle, but he's better suited for guard in the NFL. This is a physical prospect who plays with a nasty streak and just knocked people off the ball at Midwestern State. He has the ability to pull and block at the corner. On pass protection, he shows good slide ability. I don't think he is an NFL OT because he did have some trouble adjusting to the quick inside move. I thought he was the best offensive lineman in drills at the NFL Scouting Combine. It may take him some time to adjust to the game's highest level, but he should be a solid pro player.

4. Cordy Glenn, OT/OG, Georgia: At 6-5, 345 pounds with 35 3/4-inch arms, this is a mass of man. He played all over the line at Georgia, but spent his senior season protecting the blind side at left tackle. I'm not sure he has the change-of-direction ability to play left tackle in the NFL, but he does have good balance and I have seen guys like him play LT in the pros before. Glenn's a strong run blocker who does a good job sustaining in close quarters -- he can definitely hold his ground against the bull rush, too -- but lacks consistency when blocking in space. With Glenn's versatility, I would start him at left tackle and see if he can handle the workload. If that doesn't work out, you can move him to right tackle with the idea he can also play guard. This guy could be a great value in Round 2, as a lot of teams had him slotted for the 15-32 range on Thursday night.

5. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama: This is based strictly on ability. Simply put, he is the most talented player left on the board. I think he is the second-best cover guy in this draft behind Morris Claiborne. He's had a number of off-field problems and had to play his final college season at North Alabama after getting booted from Florida. At some point, a team will take a chance on him. He is an excellent press player. In man coverage, I see a guy who can make the quick turns and sudden moves to cover successfully. He is undisciplined at times in his coverage and will guess, but he's very good at playing the ball. Personally, I would not draft him because of all the baggage, but Jenkins is a first-round talent.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Indy is running 3-4 too. I'd be very surprised if Chuck Pagano doesn't take him right away today, or Baltimore right after at 35.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Fleener is as good as gone to Indy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    If STL doesnt take Coby, Indy deffinatly should get Luck a goto target that he can get use out of in the first year.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Again I mention Pagano, the Colts will be a power running and defense oriented team. Allen or even Charles would make more sense in that kind of system than Fleener who is not a good blocker, the only reason to take Fleener would be if Andrew Luck requests it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I can see that Mati, if STL does indeed take Coby.

What I can also see is Pagano gettin a guy that he thinks is a better fit at 3-4 OLB other than Upshaw.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I still say Thompson or Chapman would be my pick

wouldn't mind TE (Allen)
    WR (Jeffrey)

OT would be nice

What I don't want to see in today is special teams player (not players that can be used on ST until they get to their roster spot but players who are strictly keyed as a ST players)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Ok so NE has the 48 and 62 pick left. Obviously they are gonna get at least ONE more player out of the second.... So with the needs they still have do they take a S high since they dont have any other choice unless there is a trade for thier 48 pick to move down to round the 56 range and pick up a mid low third. And so with the 56 they could still be reacing for a player of need.

All I know is I dont like them sittin at 48 right in front of us. And imo that 48 pick is the one they will have to forfeit if they want to trade down and pick up more picks this year.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Acee claims we don't have higher than a 3rd round grade on any of the SS left. I sure wouldn't take any of them at 49.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd honestly look at converting David to SS if he was still there at 49. I think he's gone, but he's Iloka-sized with WAAAY better instincts, more fluid, & his game speed is just crazy.

22. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    I like Iloka but not at 49 we would be reaching pretty bad to take him at 49.. id rather see us take lamar miller who would fit both a need and would also be a BPA situation if hes at 49

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm not shocked in the least that Upshaw slid to the 2nd, honestly I won't be shocked if he lasts to the mid-2nd. His floor is probably Cincinnati in this round, as I know Marvin Lewis likes him and Mike Brown has a hard-on for taking players he thinks are steals because the talking heads say they are. I'm sure we're going to get a lot of early Upshaw coverage in this draft though, complete with Nick Saban being brought in by the media to sing his praises and talk about how teams are getting a great player in him - but the 2nd round is where you really start seeing teams draft for need over BPA so it's not improbably he takes more of a tumble depending on how teams compare him to guys they already have on their rosters (Miami's a possibility though they're moving back to a 4-3 from what I hear, Jets are still an option - though I have trouble seeing them not go offense in some capacity this round, if he gets to the bottom third of the round I could see Dallas giving up a future pick to move up from their 3rd for him, my dark horse is - oddly enough - Philadelphia to play him at SAM LB).

I think it says A LOT about what 3-4 teams think of him when three of the better 3-4 evaluators passed on him and two of them for other OLB prospects (Wade for Mercilus and Dom Capers for Perry; not to mention Ozzie Smith trading back when his team was rumored to be reeling in the loss of Jarrett Johnson).

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Exactly Im not shocked at all Upshaw is available and that is alot of the reason from before the draft even started I was all for doin what we could to get Barron or Smith. Not that i really wanted Upshaw to be the OLB help in the second, I just figured him and another or 2 semi projects that DO look like legit 3-4 Pass rushers were there at 49. Like Curry or Branch over Upshaw, but we got Ingram and now we can look at OLine or another pick for a backup and im sure we can fill the SS hole past the third. SO BPA with the 2nd and whatever else is a positon of need with the third. OR even RB with the third since SS can get got in the 4th.

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd be curious if Trumaine Johnson is in the thinking

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'll put it this way - not a lot of people wanted to listen to me (including Tom Melton who actually does respond to my tweets and emails here and there and is beside himself over Upshaw right now), but I was hearing from some sources we have over at FF that talk pretty regularly with herds of pro scouts that Upshaw wasn't held in nearly as high regard by them as he was the fans and the talking heads. This was well, well before the combine (before the Nat'l Championship game even) and I was hearing rumblings of him being more likely a 2nd round pick and no chance of the Top 10-15 projects some mocks were placing him.

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Too much Cromartie for me, long and lanky, slow to react, questionable tackler, very questionable character, and the 4.6 40 time is concerning. He may be able to keep up with those FCS kids at Montana, but the NFL could eat this guy up. I don't see him as a fit for CB or SS, but thats just me.

I'm gonna be pissed if AJ takes Dequan Menzie at 49 thinking they can convert him too.

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    LaCanfora reporting that 10 Corners could go in the second??? Yea if this starts to be the case maybe we do go for a guy high.

30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I think WR and OTG get ran on I hope AJ doesn't Panic and just lets the draft fall to us. I see us grabbing at least a DE or NT with one of these picks and a O line or guard with the other