1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Royal Restructures

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Mar 3, 2014.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Per the UTSD. More positive offseason news.

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 3m
    Chargers WR Eddie Royal has restructured his contract. Was previously set to earn prohibitive $4.5 million base salary with $6M cap hit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    He wasn't going to find a better spot, so I'm glad he's sticking around. Now if he can stay healthy.....

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Restructured for Butler's contract, they tweeted at one another. I don't know how its a restructure if he doesn't have another year remaining on his contract?

So I'm guessing we're going to be making some sort of cuts soon, or even another restructure or two as well to have a good chunk of cap space to re-sign a few more of our own and go out and dip on some other FA's.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    It sounds like he took a pay cut with incentives which would allow him to make what he was previously owed, I really like Royal as a player and as an individual, Im happy he will remain on the team this year.

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Agreed, I was actually hoping we could extend him 2 more years and spread his base salary out. But TT not getting ahead of himself, will wait until after this year see if he stays healthy enough. He's got great character, and it really showed this year when he played hurt for half the season with a painful turf toe, you know that thing that made Chad Rinehart miss 4 straight games.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Next stop Rinehart, Marshall, and Stuckey?

I know this isnt the official free agent thread but what are your thats to signing Pat Sims?

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Rinehart possibly, probably nothing more than a 2 year deal honestly. I can't see us going more than that due to his injury history.

Marshall, I don't know. He can most likely be replaced thru the draft and FA, unless he comes cheaper than what we paid him this past year, which would be the minimum.

Stuckey is a huge question mark. He played in one of our personnel sets with Weddle while Gilchrist was in the slot and we were very effective. Broke up that pass in the end zone that lead to Butler's INT against the Broncos before halftime in the playoffs. He also is a captain of the ST's as well.

But, we have Taylor coming back, Addae progressing, and of course Weddle and Gilchrist. So depends on how the FO and coaching staff feels about Brandon Taylor I'm assuming.

Pat Sims is interesting, but he'll most likely get better money elsewhere. I'm looking at guys like Antonio Johnson and possibly bringing back Aubrayo Franklins for 1-2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Yeah Rinehart interests me as a band aid option with a 2-3 year deal where he would be making annually 1.5 million per season, while we find his replacement in the draft.

Stuckey I'd love to see see back mainly for his role on special teams and as a back up safety, commanding no more than 2 million per season.

Marshall I can see being brought back if Cox gets released for he was arguably our best CB at the end of the season (sadly)
    what intrigues me with all of these players is they have all shown they fit in this system, fill major needs, and won't break the bank. At the same time can all be replaced by draft prospects this year or next which would then be one hell of a depth chart.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Looks to me like the Chargers wanted Royal as much as he wanted too stay in Dego. The front office rebuild along with HC change seem to have brought a peace to the team and the players are enjoying it.

10. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    Good work TT. ER's one of PR's favorite targets and he played through a nasty toe injury last season. Is Clary restructure is next?

11. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Alright Gates time to follow Royal's lead.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Oh I hope not, just cut the guy.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Old Old x 1
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    If Rinehart is re-signed, no reason to keep Clary around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I would imagine Clary to take a pay cut before he would get cut, Only because he can play (or I should say try) RG and RT. The truth of it all is , the money we would save if we did go the route of cutting him, could pay for Asomoah and Rinehart, where we'd be set at OG barring injuries

15. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    While there is value in continuity, there is no reason to keep Clary for financial purposes. If he had multiple years on his deal that would be one thing, but he only has a year left, so cutting him and then resigning him for the minimum has the same effect as getting him to take a paycut that takes his salary down to the minimum. As a result we should only keep him if we'd be willing to pay his market value, or if we think we can trick him into taking a lower salary with us than via a paycut than he'd be able to get if we released him.

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Let's not be kind to his feelings, he has little more value as a RT than if we were to throw John Phillips out there. I would say Mike Harris (also an OG/OT) is a better player for a minimum contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    I hope, now that TT has shown how serious he is about cutting players and $$ from the roster, they can get him to restructure. But Clary has been one of those lucky guys who has been paid more than he's worth. Ironically, since we have other more pressing roster needs to fill with FA and the draft, Clary's luck may hold.

18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    I cant imagine how clarys deal doesnt get restructured. 6.5 million cap hit with 1.7 million in dead money. I dont know much about how the cap works but i imagine by just flat out cutting him we would gain 4.8 million in cap room. Why not just flat out cut the guy if he dont take the pay cut. he has been one of the worst starting guards in the nfl he wont exactly be hard to replace.

19. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    I think everyone expects this to happen. The only question is whether the coaching staff would prefer to keep him given the value of continuity across on O-line. If that's the case it's just a matter of how deeply we can discount his salary.

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    I say dump Clary and go O line in draft, re-sign Rinehart and give he and Troutman/rookie chance. I wouldn't mind seeing Fluker come into RG either and Harris at RT. That would be a beasting right side.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    It just amazes me that Clary is the 4th highest paid player on this team, ahead of Hardwick! He has a bonus of $1.7M, so I say just give him a base salary of the minimum which will be a cap hit of roughly $2.6M and will free roughly $4M. If he doesn't take it, cut him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I expect him to get an extension.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Not too sure if Rinehart is holding out for a better deal elsewhere or not, but I wouldn't give him anymore than $2M per. $1.5M per sounds about right for him. Injury history as well.

I don't know, I think Clary will unfortunately be kept around until he loses his spot or doesn't take a pay cut. We already have a need at C since this will be Hardwick's last season so we'll most likely find someone there through the draft, and may need another OG/OT through the draft even if Rinehart is re-signed because we'll be 'losing' Clary as well as Dunlap next year.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Ghelken said he believes Clary with remain on the team, and at his current price tag.:mad:

At this point I don't care if he's on this team for the next 20 years, I just do not understand how Telesco and the Coaches can sit back knowing Jeromy Clary will be the 5th highest player on our, in a year where we're so close yet so far away, need every cent we can scrounge up to bring in or bring back some help, and say "we are happy to pay you what you aren't worth"

Everywhere you look, watch or read, no matter how biased or unbiased they may be, they all come to the consensus agreement how terrible he is. When last year was his best year in the NFL and he still ranked at the bottom 3 or 4 for worst at their position, vet minimum at best is what he should be making.

At his price tag alone can bring in a Tarrell Brown, Walter Thurmond type CB, Paul Soliai at NT, or a Andre Roberts or Golden Tate WR
    and still have money to play with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I thought TT was smarter than this. :( There really is no buried secret or unaccounted for stat for Lance or Sandy to pull out of their *** to defend this guy, like Richard Goodman with his YPR or Norv with his "60% win percentage". Clary is by every right one of the worst RTs in the league, and a mediocre OG at best, who actually graded out negatively in both pass blocking and run blocking according to PFF.com.

It's just strange, how the only positive you ever hear about the guy is that "he's tough" and they admire his "toughness." More than anything we need the money to re-sign Ohrnberger and Rinehart, and yes maybe bring in a mid level FA like Walter Thurmond or James Jones.

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    I can't believe for a second Clary will be back at current price tag, not a chance imho. TT is not stupid or blind. Clary has been a mess for yrs. I'm not sure I've ever seen an O lineman with worse feet/balance, he is on his butt/on the ground almost every play. Yes he might be tough and the hardest worker on the team fair enough but he has to be, if he was slacking he'd have been gone the same way the likes of Wes Sims went (you hardly knew he was here).

27. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    On the other hand he was part of a potent offense and helped keep PR upright for the most part.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Yeah the worst part.

For his price tag there it's just not worth it, even for the sake of "continuity".

29. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    You can go to an objective stat site like Football Outsiders or PFF & quickly debunk what the Clary supporters continue to maintain. Is he a hard working nice guy? By all accounts, yes. Is that enough to keep him on, especially at this price? NO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    I think we're a long ways from needing to freak out about the Clary situation. We haven't cut anyone else who we would have preferred to Clary, and now that we're under the cap we can take our time with things. Still five more days to go until free agency even starts.