1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Royal Restructures

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Who's freaking out? I think most of us are just tired of extremely good pay for barely mediocre performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    IM NOT FREAKING OUT!!!!!

But seriously, I will be freaking out if he's still around and making much more than the minimum soon. My post was something my shrink recommended to remind me not to get too worked up given how early we are in the process.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    The first sensible post in this entire thread. I guess somebody had to break this run of frothing.

4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    Spoke too soon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Haha. I'm really not too worried either way. This front office has given me every reason to think they know what they're doing. The bigger concern with paying Clary real money is what it says about our front office's view of our other guard options.

6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    I'll be very happy if Jeromey Clary becomes the biggest issue the Chargers need to deal with.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I'm not sure how "Royal Restructures" became "Vent on Clary, Part CVXII"

but I must say, I've always been mystified by his career. I can't say that I've ever
    seen any respected football source give the guy a good grade…and yet there he is,
    not only on the roster year after year, but near the top in pay.

Often times weird anomalies like this can be partially explained by coaches seeing a
    very different guy in practices than fans see on Sunday…or a team having a bizarre
    niche to fill and the guy's just in the right place at the right time.
    But no combination of reasons can seem to explain Clary's continued "success."

Either he's just the luckiest S.O.B. in the world…or he has the most incriminating
    Polaroids of Dean Spanos doing something highly unethical or illegal…
    Clary's lucky run just seems to defy explanation

p.s. And I say this as a guy who really respects anyone with a strong work ethic…but still… :tdown:

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Yep, Clary is the flag bearer for anyone who ever said that all you needed to do was to put your head down and work your tail off, and good things will come. It had to work for somebody........ right? ;)

9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    Not really, but running does have something to do with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    I hope the front office looks at doing something with Jarrett Johnson as well. He is a 5.5 million dollar cap hit and will be 33 at the start of this season. His 73 tackles over the past 2 seasons combined isnt exactly impressive and with Dwight Freeney, Melvin Ingram, Manti Teo, and Donald Butler I think that money could be spent better elsewhere. Any thoughts?

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    JJ is one of those guys who's considered a locker room leader, he's not a stat guy, he's not going to get sacks, but his value to a team is in his intangibles. And the difference between him and Clary...is JJ doesn't suck at everything. He's actually very good in coverage and setting the edge in the run game, something fans don't appreciate nearly as much as they should.

I doubt they cut him this year, next year maybe.

12. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    Exaggerations don't make you any more credible.

13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Reason we'll keep both Freeney and JJ is that they'll be off the books in 2015, both will be UFA.

Both players have shown their leadership to these younger players, both worthy to keep around, especially Freeney, give him a full season.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    .....(crickets)....feel free to elaborate...;)...you know, whenever you get a chance.

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Nice sequence…a solid moment…not necessarily representative of Clary's overall performance

Well, I very deliberately did not say I thought Clary was horrible, as most do…
    (that's why I typed: "I can't say that I've ever seen any respected football source give the guy a good grade"
    instead of implying that I couldn't remember anyone being on record as saying he was at least mediocre)

I'm glad to see a good guy, and hard worker be able to find a place in the league.
    I'd just prefer it was on another club, or with a lower price tag on this one.

I'll give you credit, though Sandy, for going so far against the grain on this one:
    I was actually under the impression that posting anything positive about Clary
    violated the "Terms of Use" for this site...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    72nd ranked OG out of 81 qualified.

I'm not sure where the official threshold for "horrible" starts, but I'm confident Clary is not on the good side of the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    There are some fans who will always be convinced that their intelligence and logic make them as prepared to assess ANY situation as someone experienced in whatever particular area. I recognize your intellect, Sandolf. You're just wrong about Clary. Hard worker, poor athlete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Yes, he hustles.
    Cherry pick much?

19. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    Thank you for your measured responses Riff ... and Lance. You are posters I enjoy reading here, so I am glad we can differ without unnecessary consternation.

Of course! But on this issue of Clary... EVERYBODY cherry picks. Be it sources for their stats, false starts or whatever. I am not expecting that I can convince the mob here of anything. But I can make some sort of credible argument that the man is a good, (but not fantastic) football player. Seeing that I like Clary, that will suffice for me.

20. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Keeping both Freeney and Johnson isn't the greatest use of cap space, but for now it makes sense to keep both and see what materializes in free agency. It will be nice to have that depth if there aren't any free agents who work out. That way we don't feel compelled to reach for a pass rusher early in the draft.

21. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Understood. I admire someone who will maintain their stance in a measured argument with supporting evidence. I do take SOME issue on your description of cherry picking. The stat sources that I mentioned earlier (FOO, PFF) don't cherry pick. They use a respected method of measuring the subject via various elements - penalties, sacks allowed, QB pressures allowed, successful blocks, etc. I've never said that Clary is an awful player. Were it not for his effort & strong work ethic, I might go there. But I DO feel quite strongly that we can get not only a better performer in his position, but a FAR better value for the money. Bottom line - this league is a business built by success. There's little room for feel good loyalty.

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Outfits like Pro Football Focus do not cherry pick. They literally include every single play in their analysis. It's the antithesis of cherry picking. That being said, I think Clary is not quite as bad as their ranking would suggest. But he's really no more than an average player. I think we could sign someone better for the money we are paying Clary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I beg to differ, all you did was post a couple pictures of 1 positive play and then said you "like Clary." :sleep:

Simple conclusion, likeability and a few scatter shot positive plays does not mean he deserves to be one of the 5 highest paid players on our roster for the 3rd consecutive season. It's not you're fault, Clary has to do his own part to convince the "mob" of his value, and he continues to fail.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Nicely said. I couldn't agree more. They don't cherry pick, but some posters blindly take those rankings as
    gospel and try to sound like an insider…not a good idea. As far as Charger fanatics in here, I really don't believe that many (at least with job and/or a woman) actually replay every down to examine Clary's performance
    on every single play…from end zone and 'all 22' cameras. Which is my polite way of saying that
    I think that most times guys are trying to sound definitive and authoritative in their absolute denouncing
    of Clary, they're really just full of sh/t.

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I do.:coffee: I only use stats from a source like PFF and Football outsiders because it bolsters my arguments.

O-line and D-line are not hidden by the edges of broadcast cameras anyway, so even people who don't have access to coaches film see where mistakes and missed assignments come from.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  26. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I'm no "definitive" source for knocking Clary's value, but I really don't see anyone here who can definitively support it either. If he takes a meaningful restructure AND we can find a replacement, I'd keep him as a fairly versatile backup. But it would be at a backup's salary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    While I do not disagree, don't put the cart before the horse. The replacement has to be found first. And that is not going to be as easy as the mob imagines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Oh, it's usually best to just assume mob irrationality.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I posted some version of "Okay, you hate player x and demand he be released
    by noon…who is actually available now that the Chargers could get to replace him?"
    with the response almost always being along the lines of "But I'm really mad at player x…and…uh…shut up!"

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    If Clary is so damn bad, why isn't it easy to just replace him with any old warm piece of meat??? He may not be the best but he must be better than anyone the Bolts have auditioned for the job up to this point. Beat him out and take the job is the name of the game and it hasn't happened yet and we've all been watching it for years now.

30. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Because of Clary's large contract this is the first year where we'll be able to let him go and reap substantial savings. There can't be more than a handful of guards with a cap hit as high as his. It might be hard to replace him with a league minimum player, but it wouldn't be hard to replace him with the $4.5 million we'd save by letting him go.