1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

RTL's Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ride The Lightning, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I been thinking about doing this for a while, I see ALOT of movies, both @ work on dvd and in the theaters. For example, last week I saw No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Gone Baby Gone, We Own The Night, and a few others.

I'm still trying to figure out just how I wanna do this, but I thik something simple and straightforward should do the trick. I'm not about to write gaudy 15 page reviews, I'll try to keep them short and to the point, but and I warn, REVIEWS WILL BE SPOILERISH, however, I will post spoiler warnings.

If anyone has a recommendation for a movie review, feel free to ask. Also, PLEASE, everyone is encouraged to post their own reviews as well, but let's try to keep this thread on topic, at least the movie that is currently being discussed. ANY and ALL suggestions are also welcome.

With that, I'm gonna review my first movie of the thread:

There Will Be Blood

Directed By: Paul Thomas Anderson
    Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Dillon Freasier, CiarĂ¡n Hinds
    Release date: December 26, 2007

I'm just gonna come right out and say it: This is the movie of the year for 2007 and Daniel Day-Lewis is the best actor on the planet alive. This movie is gonna clean up at the Oscars.

Now, I gotta say, I'm a big P.T. Anderson fan (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love), so I may be a little biased, but screw it. I know an awesome movie when I see it, and There Will Be Blood is f'n awesome. Based loosely on the old book Oil! by Upton Sinclair and screenplayed by PT Anderson, the film is set in the late 1800's/early 1900's. The movie follows the story of silver prospector Daniel Plainview and his discovery of oil on one of his silver claims, learn how to dig for oil, gets tipped off to an oil find in California. Long story short (I hate boring people with the details), man finds oil, becomes oil tycoon, finds more oil, ect., gets rich and old and goes nuts amists STUNNING visuals and a totally unnerving and completely appropriate soundtrack. Just a great movie.

IMO, the 2 reasons to see this moive: Daniel Day-Lewis is a genius actor and PT Anderson is a genius storyteller/director. It is fun just watching DDL go crazy, it's pretty amazing. The story is excellently written to begin with, but DDL just takes the whole damn thing to another level.

****SPOILER WARNING****

Best moment: Plainview being made to join Eli's "church" so that Bandy will lease Plainview his land for the pipeline, the confesson was great, and the payoff of that sceen at the end is worth the price of admission

****end spoiler****

RTL's rating (out of 5): :bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt:
    Hands down movie of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Movies I seen lately and have really good tear jerkers Definetly maybe and my fav movie of them all Auguest Rush:tup:

3. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    My friend, who's a girl, went with my other friend, who's also a girl, to see "There Will Be Blood" and hated it. In fact, one of them walked out the last 10 minutes because she couldnt stand it. I havent talked to the one who walked out, but I will.

Off-hand, Im guessing possible division of the sexes? Its a "boy" movie, perhaps?:icon_shrug:

I saw "No Country for Old Men" with my friend, whos a girl, and , although, I didnt like the violence, we liked it pretty well. It was original to us. It was the thrill of the chase. I am a BIG Tommy Lee Jones fan. He was teh awesome. The only thing we didnt like was the psychotic murderer's "bowl" haircut.

We both saw "Atonement" and thought it was GREAT.:tup: Good casting, directing, scenery, filming(the scene at Dunkirk was fantastically done), music. It was all good.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Jumpers was just ehh.... Wait for DVD.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks for the tip. Won't waste my money at the theater.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    My wife LOVED There Will Be Blood and No Country (although she hated the ending on NCFOM, which I loved). I have been weening her off silly romantic comedies for a while and getting her to appreciate some of the better movies of our time, which I am very fond of. She's coming around and I love being able to have someone to discuss these wonderful films with instead of just seeing them on my own. Both NCFOM and TWBB were pretty brutal at times, No Country a bit more, but all the voilence was necessary to the films. And walking out w/ 10 minutes to go is like walking out of a tied ballgame in the 9th inning, just plain stupid.

We have yet to see Antonement, it just looks like the kind of movie I loathe. I don't mind chick flicky dramas, but I hate the whole "guy gets fuked over by stupid person and pay for it the rest of his life only to finally get to be whith the one he loves in the last 2 minutes of the movie" kinda film. Plus, I can't stand the sight of Keira "OMG someone gimme a sammich STAT!" Knightly.

I think I'm gonna concentrated on 1 or 2 reviews a week. Tonight at work I do my review of No County For Old Men.