1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rule12b's take. . .

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Rule12b, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    First and most importantly, can everyone relax on Jammer, the pass rush and the secondary. Here are some thoughts:

First, it is clear Cotrell is not only NOT showing his blitzing schemes, in fact, quite the opposite. Even with his first string in, he is working on areas that are not strengths. For example, he is not cutting the two Shawnes lose at all. Instead, I watched Merriman consistently drop into coverage (something he needs to work on) as opposed to rushing the QB (something he can do blindfolded).

Now, in doing that, he put a lot of pressure on the secondary. Anyone who blames QJ for the long TD is an idiot, plain and simple. The safety, or in this case, nickel back, Drayton Florence froze up in No-Man's-Land and QJ did his best to cover the breakdown. Th rest of the first half it really did appear as if Ted was happy to hang his secondary out there and see how they did. TC did try some unorthodox blitzes here and there, including a corner blitz (a rarity in recent years) on the TD play mentioned above.

All in all, I saw nothing to make me think I've gotten even a glimpse of our pass rush.

On offense, it was a good, workmanlike outing. I did like seeing our penalties all but disappear. Sproles is playing like a man possessed and clearly, when utilized properly, will be a force.

Cro had an off game, period.

Finally, who the hell is Nick Roach??? He was all over the place tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Exactly. :tup:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The playbook is so obviously vanilla right now. How many sacks were there tonight? None? With the guys we've got on D? Not possible unless you're not even trying.

Our 2 deep zone is HORRIBLE.

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Jammer didn't do anything wrong so why would anyone be stressed about him?

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Cro hasnt had a good game yet this preseason.

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    That was a great breakdown.. Flo missed the coverage and Hart missed the rotation.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    That is because you are easily lead as a kid. :lol: :yes:

Learn what Cover 4, Cover 3 means and then stand on your Popeye night light and proclaim " I get it"

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    As soon as you learn football coverage, let me know. Otherwise, your comments are just misinformed.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_rofl: - I have read you takes :lol: :yes:

Oh yeah baby.

Once I see you want to tangle with me in the ASYLUM, you are nothing but a fishy.

I will see what the fuc you know about football instead of bullshitting the crowd. If you have the balls, start a thread because I am going to love this.

10. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Nice take....I agree with most of it.

I HOPE that Ted isnt showing any blitz packages right now (although I have SEEN blitz packages...but I get your meaning) because the pass rush is awful. At this rate, the team will end the season with as many sacks as Merriman had after 12 games last season.
    Speaking of Merriman, I noticed he was playing ALOT of coverage lately as well. I hope you are right about it just being Ted working on all aspects of Shawne's game....otherwise it is like putting LT on the Oline.

They showed the long TD on ESPN (in slow-mo...with the focus bubble) and it sure looks like it was Jammer getting locked in on the backfield that allowed Boldin to blow right past him (yes...and Hart). I didnt see Dflo on Boldin the rest of the night, so it would be strange that Boldin was Dflo's man to cover at the time. That said, I never did get a good view of it, and I believe the guys around here. I would just like to see it for myself at some point.

11. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Jammer has been quoted as saying he was out of position. From the tape, I just don't see how. If his was the deep zone, he would have been responsible for two WR's. If there was any safety help for him, it never entered the picture. D Flo froze up on the short zone (if it was zone coverage). If it was man coverage, then QJ wasn't at fault at all. One thing is clear though, no safety help, anywhere. Weddle was blitzing so whoever else was left, was nowhere near QJ

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I gotta go back and watch it again, too. But I wasn't too upset about that breakdown because it just looked more like a helluva' head's up play b/t a damn good WR and a QB who was clearly on the same page.

I agree with your analysis tho'. No reason to worry about our starters right now. Vanilla is good and mistakes were meant to be made in the preseason, corrected before the regular season.

Cro on the other hand. He's a trip. He's not even close to surpassing D'flo for a starting job. Maybe he's just tired right now, but how a dude with his size and skills can't make a play on a jump ball is just puzzling to me.

13. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

Jammer said himself that he was out of position and its a preseason mistake. I guess he's an idiot.

Our defense has been horrid. True, its been somewhat vanilla (we have been blitzing though). It's also true its been played against vanilla offenses. Vanilla vs. vanilla the best should win. Ours has been getting run over every game so far.

14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    A good team player is always gonna take the blame himself when a news guy sticks a mike in his face.

15. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    CBs are going to give up plays. It's the NFL, that's the way it works. I swear I think some people believe Jammer has never given up a completion that was his fault. It's always the safety, the scheme, he was covering for Drayton, something.

He's going to give up plays. Teams are going to throw his way. He's going to give up some TDs. It doesn't mean he's horrible. It doesn't mean he sucks. It doesn't mean he needs to make excuses. It's the life of an NFL CB. Even the greatest ones in the game today give up plays.

I would hope all three of them would play better than they have this preseason. Flo hasn't been good. Jammer hasn't been good. Cro has been bad. If he keeps looking like that we might be begging Florence to come back with a new contract. No way you could make Cro the starter right now.

It is the preseason though. Maybe we'll blitz more than we already are or maybe we'll use more successful blitzes. We're already blitzing CBs and safeties though and that's something we didn't do too much of last year. I think 5 games into this regular season we'll have an idea about where the team is headed. Until then its all just premature talk, which is entertaining in itself.