1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

RUMOR: Chargers talking to Bills about Trade up for Barron

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Apr 26, 2012.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...alo-bluffing-sd-trying-to-trade-up-for-barron

"In other interesting news, the Buffalo Bills are attempting to drum up interest in their No. 10 overall pick by leaking information that they're considering taking a defensive player (Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly and Alabama safety Mark Barron).

Sources, however, indicate that this is "total BS" and that the club will be taking an offensive player if unable to trade out.

While the team would appear to need help at offensive tackle, I've been told their two top-rated offensive tackles are Southern California's Matt Kalil and Stanford's Jonathan Martin. Should Kalil somehow fall to them, the Bills, I'm told you snatch him up. They aren't in love with the idea of taking Martin at 10, though they will strongly consider him should they trade down. I'm also told that the Bills are also "very high" on Notre Dame wideout Michael Floyd and will strongly consider him if unable to move out of the No. 10 overall pick.

One of the teams that has contacted the Bills and others about trading up is the San Diego Chargers. The team is specifically targeting Barron, I'm told, and feel that there is very little chance that the All-American will slip past the Dallas Cowboys, owners of the No. 14 overall pick.

San Diego, currently picking 18th, would appear to have concerns along the offensive line, pass-rusher and cornerback, as well at safety. There is no player in the draft, however, they feel can come in and make an immediate impact at a position of need like Barron.

Considering the aggressive trades general manager A.J. Smith has made in the past -- including two years ago to nab running back Ryan Matthews -- the news that San Diego is looking to make a splashy move isn't at all surprising."

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Considering AJ's history of drafting for need I'd believe it.

I'm just wondering why Arizona wouldn't be a better trade partner, if Reiff is off the board they could move back a couple times and still landa player like Martin, Upshaw, Mercilus, Jones, Barnes etc... I think the Cards have to be desperately trying to move out of 13.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I too heard this last night, they said they really like Adams and want to move back for him. basically as long as we don't lose our 2nd I'm fine with moving up for Barron because we do need any pass rusher that is available in the 2nd. Perry, Branch, Curry,Lewis, Irvin

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    Only thing I can hope if we are seriously in discussions with the Bills is that being former friends and co-workers, AJ can swing a far better deal. The one that comes to mind is the trade between the Jets and Browns in 2009 for Sanchez when Mangini took over the Browns - Jets gave away basically nothing.

I'm also hearing the Chargers are talking with the Cowboys. To be honest based on how deep this draft is, I'd be fine with just waiting even though I'm a big Barron backer

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Ant, you think we have any players they'll swing in a deal? like we did with Dobbins

I can't think of anyone we have that has much value that I wouldn't want to keep. Maybe Laboy (wishful thinking) or if we don't see Barnes as a long term guy (Don't like the idea but possible)

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    Well if they're determined to take this guy it's wise to be in contact with every team about trade possibilities, that way as one falls through at least the ground work is set up for the next pick.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Also lets say we do move up for Barron, you think a 3rd would get the job done? Most analyst are saying if the Bills traded with the Vikings all it would take would be a 2nd rounder (Lombardi, Casserly)

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    So many teams tryin to pull the AJ out this year... it only really works if the player X team would trade up for is also a player YOUR targeting... Vikings moreso than what is now commin out of Buff.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    I don't know who we would have of interest; they need OT and CB help, I could dream that we could pawn Clary or Jammer off on them but why on earth would the Bills want them? Maybe WR? I mean trade Malcolm Floyd but a one year often injured?

And Agreed Matilack, they're definitely doing their HW but the question is what do they want to move back. I honestly wonder even about the Cowboys/Eagles; you can claim this is wishful thinking but why would they go safety when both teams need DL and OL help, especially with Brockers/Poe/Cox (maybe)/DeCastro/Glenn on the board? I also wonder if Jerry wants to tempt getting burnt by another strong safety like he did with Roy Williams

10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    im a big barron fan but im almost hoping we dont trade up for him because thats likely gonna cost us a 2 and a 3 quite possibly jus to move up 8 spots or whatever it is

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I'd like to see us actually trade down, gather more pics for this year and next year. We did well in FA and we still have training camp cuts and there is no telling 'who' could become available then.

12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Most of these pre-draft are untrue....... just chumming the waters. Misinformation is the word of the day.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Except when the Chargers traded up for Mathews and Weddle. Both were reported as definite possibilities. Neither came as a great shock. It could be a smokescreen, but you never know. I'd love to get Barron but would hate to give up our 2nd rounder. This is a pretty deep draft and we could get a good pass rusher in the 2nd round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,642
    No Barron and no Smith
    Atari Bigby or Darrell Stuckey for your starting SS

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Makes you nervous, doesn't it? :unsure:

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,642
    Bigby has started and done well, Stuckey was drafted to be the SS two years ago but was derailed due to injuries. I'm not nervous but its definitely not ideal