1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rumor: Chargers to sign Greg Hardy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Mar 14, 2015.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    @DerekNBCSD: I'm hearing there might actually be something to the rumors the #Chargers are looking in to Greg Hardy. Not sure how I feel about that one.

2. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I looked at him as more of a 4-3 player, but we run a hybrid scheme. But even more I sign him because he has talent. And we need talent and not just these role players we typically sign. We probably have negotiating power due to his off field issues looming, but I'd be all for it. I'm sure a lot of ppl will want to pass and say I don't want all the media coverage etc. If u have a chance to get an impact player, u take him (if he is willing to sign) and if u are worried about his risk give him a prove it contract or structure the deal that its not as risky to the team's future.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I thought Telesco refused to sign players with off field issues?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    No way our squeaky clean Ownership/FO sign a guy with his current situation STILL unresolved.

Why would anyone agree to terms with a guy who's still on Dodgy's exempt list, hell, is it even legal to sign this guy ?......... is he still a registered NFL player even ?

Nahhhh, couldn't see The Deaner signing off on this guy, at least not yet anyway.

EDIT : OK, have just read that on Mar 5th, the NFL announced that players on the Exempt List ARE able to sign contracts ................but that doesn't change the fact that he still faces disciplinary action/suspension by the NFL.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    My guess is that if he signs with us, that his contract will have full terms regarding his situation. Such as, if you are an idiot and screw up again, the contract is void. Or if your pending case goes against you, your contract is void.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    He could be the spark plug this team needs on defense. He could play DE and OLB while giving guys like Reyes depth duties.

7. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Thomas Kieser and Keenan Allen?

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://q.usatoday.com/2015/03/12/nf...ley-demarco-murray-charles-clay-brian-orakpo/

1. Greg Hardy, DE, 26
    2014 with the Panthers: four tackles, one sack, one forced fumble in one game

Any team that signs Hardy knows it’s bringing on a lot of baggage, and even then, the NFL could still levy a suspension even though his domestic violence case was dismissed after he reached a civil suit agreement. Going on talent alone, Hardy (6-foot-4, 275 pounds) is one of the top young pass rushers in the NFL after he collected 26 sacks in his previous two years. And with the rest of free agency’s pass rushers off the board, Hardy’s value increases even more. But he’s still on the commissioner’s exempt list, however, and may not come off of it for some time, so it’s a risky signing no matter what.
    Possible destinations: Even if the price on Hardy comes down, the Panthers are reportedly not interested in bringing him back. Other destinations include the Cowboys, the Raiders, the Jaguars and the Falcons. There’s a chance Hardy goes unsigned for a while, and if he does eventually complete a deal, expect it to be a short-term contract with very little guaranteed money.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Raiders denied interest and are no longer pursuing. I would imagine the suspension would be a six game ban at the least and could be appealed to 4 games. That would be right around our annual slow start, he'd be a great impacter.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Man Hardy would be nice. I'll **** if we can get this dude. Hardy and Stevie Johnson would really change the outlook going into the draft.

Telesco would still need to find some "coupon" type signings for help at ILB,DL or RG/OT.

I think the team needs to be able to address RB, speed WR and DL in the first three rounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    I like Denzil Perryman or Bendrick McKinney to replace the butler. T'eo has shown promise and I think breaks out next year.

13. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Where are those guys projected to go round wise in the draft? I think ILB is a need, but I can't see us drafting one until the 4th round at best.

14. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    McKinney gets mocked in late 1st and late 2nd. Perryman could slip to the 3rd or 4th round possible but he is a 2nd round talent.

15. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    **** it, I'd want Greg Hardy for a low risk contract. He's God Damn disruptive

• Like Like x 1
  16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Eloquently said.:D

I agree. Even if we only have him for 12 games, can you imagine how motivated he's going to be after losing all of 2014? Which was supposed to be his contact year. Dude could be a beast on a 1-2 year deal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Hardy would be a good grab and the kid Bell too, he may not be great but it wouldn't hurt to let him compete for the hell of it.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    My only real reservation with Hardy is that it's blatantly obvious he paid off his accuser to make her go away. That doesn't, I'll fully admit, mean that he was guilty or that the women was potentially any less shady (reports I've been pointed towards speaking to her character aren't exactly glowing), but it also doesn't speak to his supreme confidence in his own innocence. I get the circumstances that he didn't receive what most would consider to be a straight-up fair trial (and Ant would be more of an authority on this), considering it looked like the State of North Carolina actually looked to make an example of him and gave him a bench-trial with a female judge who showed no great deal of objectivity.

The Kraken is a pretty damn dominant pass-rusher - and make no mistake, if he signs here he's not going to be dropped into coverage often it at all (then again, consider how rarely we dropped Merriman into coverage or even Foley for that matter).

The media following is less the concern as is the potential backlash from women's groups and the like - who are likely to make a public display of displeasure with whichever of the three major domestic abuse charged players gets on the field first (Rice, Hardy, or McDonald). Not sure that Dean and Alex want this kind of cloud hovering over the team while they're trying to appeal for stadiums or (if the unpreferrable - not a word - happens) a new fan base.

Depending on the money, I'd be far more on board with a 1-year prove-it deal that pays out quality money if he meets benchmarks in sacks. I'm less concerned than others are about Rivers or Weddle picking up and leaving, unless the team gives them reason to, so the necessity of maintaining the franchise tag for them next offseason isn't a present - and would be an option for Hardy. But considering the nature of what Hardy's accused of (assuming "what she said" is remotely true), he's going to have one hell of a sell-job to convince Telesco he's a safe investment or just not a giant POS in general.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I admit to not knowing about the details of the case but in regards to paying off accusers in civil cases, admittedly that's very common among major companies and celebrities. And unfortunately it doesn't always mean that the richer person/company did something wrong. In many situations its simply a cost benefit analysis; what is cheaper, paying off this person to go away regardless of whether the case is right/wrong OR going to court, getting your name dragged through the mud regardless, spending countless amounts of money on lawyer whether its a win or loss.

Technically you have the constitutional right to a jury trial for any crime above a misdemeanor, and domestic violence/battery would absolutely count. He would've had to have waived that right (possible if he assumed he was going to be moved through the system quickly, slapped on the wrist and sent on his way) and while there's been plenty of claims of bias AGAINST female and/or minority defendants, I don't know if the reverse has ever happened.

Going back to the grid-iron, if there can be some confirmation (or at the very least contractual protection) that Hardy is done and can get back on the field, he's basically the most dominant pass rusher and DE in the FA class outside of Houston. He wouldn't be dropped into coverage, he'd be sent after the ball every single play (with someone like him maybe you just wanna move full time to a 4-3) and he'd be the best pass rusher/defnesive lineman we've had since Merman.

The question is whether TT is willing to bring someone like that into the locker room. The Chargers group is basically a bunch of choir boys, one shouldn't ruin that. And TT hasn't shied away from some controversy in his selections (see Manti Te'o) but this is a whole different ball of wax.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    There's more to life than sacks/football games (not much but more). I have no regard for men who put their hands on women...none. I don't want him on the team, I'll leave it at that

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Not that it matters but Hardy's conviction was for a misdemeanor. It's just NC law that allowed him to have the verdict set aside so he could then have a jury trial. Not sure I understand the policy implications of it but that's how they do things.

Personally I'd take him. If we don't someone else will. That said the Commissioner has suspended guys with far less ammunition than a conviction in a bench trial, and I have to believe that he'll feel compelled to hit Hardy with something fairly substantial.

22. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Bruce Daniel meet:

[​IMG]

23. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I'm not trying to be all high and mighty here, I realize people make mistakes and I'm cool with giving second chances. I feel Ray Rice should be given a 2nd chance, if he could find anyone interested. At least from all accounts, he admitted what he did, acknowledged it was wrong, sought counseling for he and his wife and has taken positive steps forward. While I certainly don't respect what he did, I would be hypocritical if I acted like I've lived a perfect life. Hardy hasn't done any of these things, I guess in his defense he couldn't with litigation pending. Either way, I can't remember what they were, but he was always a character red flag guy going back to his days at Ole Miss. Dude had 1st and at worst 2nd round talent and fell into the sixth round. Carolina didn't just stumble across him in the 6th, he was a well known talented collegiate player, many teams passed on him for the character stuff.

Side note: I haven't found one credible source for this rumor, it appears to have started on a fan twitter page and kinda took off. If anyone has a credible source please post

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Only somewhat credible source I found was Acee

UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 39m39 minutes ago

I really don't think the #Chargers are comfortable with Greg Hardy's history. That goes beyond just recent domestic violence issue.

But other than his speculation he never denies the claim. That tells me he heard from a source or something of that nature.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Well I guess it has a little bit of legs to it. Thanks for posting the links guys

27. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Remember the David Boston Massacre signing...

28. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    He is in Dallas right now

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He takes a physical in Dallas tomarah!

30. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Damn it! Yeah.. he may be a thug, but dang would he change the defense.