1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rumor that Jack Henry was calling plays?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 8, 2007.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I've heard this rumor on a bunch of different forums, but not from any credible source.

Does anyone have any info on this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Henry???? Don't know if that's true. But whatever they did yesterday....KEEP DOING THAT! Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Concur. But, if true, why Henry and not Shelmon? :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I doubt that Norv would give up play-calling under any circumstance. He's coaching for his life right now.

Norv used more misdirection to counter all the run-blitzing, and he wisely simplified the playbook to get Philip Rivers more comfortable leading up to Sunday. He completely outcoached the Rat. :yes:

One thing we will have to do better is going deep to our WR's. The Donkeys commited Champ Bailey to our Tight End; that is a slap in the face to our wideouts. We have to get VJ and Buster involved next week.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Get real.

AJ is not stripping Norv of anything. :no:

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    What do you expect Trumpie.

Leisure and MTL claim that every football game they bet on that goes against them is FIXED somehow. :icon_tease: :icon_tease: :lol:

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Like on the 2nd and 33 pass to Vincent Jackson where he was matched up with Ian Gold, a linebacker:lol:

We utilized playaction more than we did all season, and it will ALWAYS be open when teams play us like the Donkeys did. The Donkeys sold out on the run on first and second down, and it left Jackson, Gates, and anyone else matched up man to man on corners or linebackers with no safety help. I like the screens and draws that were called, but our running on first down is so obvious, partly because of the formation, partly because of the personnel, and partly because of the coaches.

When we have success running on the opening drive like we did against Dungver, teams have no choice but to sell out to stop the run. At that point I would LOVE to see some playaction on FIRST down to mix the defense up. However, you really can't argue with 41 points:abq2: :abq1: :abq1: :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    The sad part is that Jackson was only able to outrun him by a couple of steps. One of the announcers said that Jackson was once clocked at 4.25. I find that very, very hard to believe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    All I know is that I saw us lined up in the wishbone twice. Once on the bootleg TD by Rivers and I don't recall when I saw the other. But I know I've read a couple people suggest that LT, MT, and Lo Neal in the wishbone formation would be devastating. Finally saw it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah I noticed that as well. A freaking LB was with him almost step for step with very little separation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Ian Gold is a fast LB. Who gives a crap how many steps Jackson beat him by? VJ catches a 45 yard pass and on 2nd and 33, and still people find reasons to knock him. :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Not trying to knock him, it was a great play. Just pointing to further evidence that he's not the stretch-the-field player that some claim him to be.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    but...but...but...he's...he's...ahhh, never mind :icon_tease:

VJ had a good game, hopefully he gets more consistant, 3-4 catches for 40-50 yards a game is fine by me

14. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm still not super-stoked on the product i see on the field.

i know gates is the jesus of tight ends, but i still don't like how rivers stares him down and throws to him in double coverage. i saw that #95 guy blow up mike goff a few times. it wasn't until the very end of the game, when the broncos d had been on the field the whole game, that the chargers ran the ball very effeciently.

the defense still ain't that great. if the broncos didn't turn the ball over so many times, then the game would have been a lot different. they were able to drive the ball, only to see the drive go to crap when some dude i've never heard of would fumble. i think its a differenst story with walker in there.

i'm not sayin that i don't appreciate the victory, but the chargers are a long way from being the dominant team they were last year.

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    He doesn't have to be a stretch the field guy, but if we put any one of our linebackers on any receiver in the NFL, we'll get burned badly.

That play to VJ was great; we have to keep doing it.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    VJ has a career reception average of 16.9. Randy Moss' career average is 15.2. Chad Johnson's is 15.0. Torry Holt's is 14.9. Terrell Owen's is 14.7. Steve Smith's is 14.3. I'm not saying VJ is the equal of any of these receivers, but one thing he has shown an ability to do is stretch the field.

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We ran the ball effectively in the first half. The only time we didn't really run it effectively is when we built the big lead and it was obvious we were going to run. But we ran it anyway because it was the smart thing to do.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    how many slants have the Chargers run this season?

19. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    i don't care if they knew the chargers were going to run the ball. its still no excuse for constantly seeing mike goff in the backfield.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We had 200+ yards rushing. Seriously, how many do we need to have for you to be satisfied?

21. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I just watched the game and yes I'm glad for a big win but I don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling yet either. That said our defense looked WAY better even though the pass rush rush still isn't there. IMO Walker is the only real star Denver has on offense but we did what we should have done and that's destroy a lesser team.

I will give the team props for winning in Denver and making their fans go home halfway through the 3rd qtr. :tup: :bolt:

I hope the team feels great and feeds off this and we need to get after Daunte this week.

22. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    v-gina isn't a field-stretcher. he has less than 50 nfl receptions so his avg. means nothing right now. nobody sells out to stop him downfield and nobody double teams him.

23. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    the defense looked like crap if you ask me. i will say something shocking right now and that is that IGOR is playing better than Luis right now. Jamal is playing like ****, drayton is playing like ****, merriman is playing like ****. the only positives on defense the other day were igor, cooper, wilhelm and cro. some others played to their standards.

24. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Good points but at least I saw a Chargers team playing with some energy again and flying to the ball. These guys need to shut the Oakland running game down and get after the QB again.

25. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    That long pass play to VJ on the 2nd and 33, you could actually see Norv call it on the sidelines.

Play the part right after LT gets stopped for a 3 yard loss on first and 25, and gets flagged 5 yards for spiking the ball. The camera focuses on Norv, and I think you can "see" Norv mouth the words "long pass to Jackson" into his headset.

• Like Like x 1
  26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So the phuck what? He's our #2 receiver behind Gates. How many #2's get double teams, #3 if you count LT.

When Jackson had 30 career catches, his detractors said it wasn't enough to assess his YPC. Now he has 50, and the haters are still saying the same thing. My guess is that when VJ has 100 career catches and a 16.5+ YPC, people will still be *****ing.

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    What a load of crap. We held the Donks to 3 points. Just because we weren't playing the attacking style of D you like doesn't mean we weren't playing well. We let the Donks have the 5 yard completions. Then, we made the tackle. The Donks running game was non-existent, with the exception of a couple of 9 yard runs. Our coverage was very tight on 3rd down.

28. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Plus he's on a pace to get close to a 1000 yards receiving this year.:yes: