1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rumor: This is LT's final season with the Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/...n-in-final-season-for-Chargers?urn=nfl,201693

The word on the street is that running back LaDainian Tomlinson(notes) won't be back with the San Diego Chargers after this season, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. He's been with the team since it picked him fifth overall in the 2001 draft.

The team has a $2 million roster bonus next March and as beloved as six-time Pro Bowler Tomlinson is in San Diego, it would be a shocker if the team blew that kind of cash on a guy who can't come close to doing the things he used to do.

The rumor is that the Chargers are planning to use an early pick in next year's draft on a running back. So long, LaDainian.

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well I'm not buying unless I hear it from LT's mouth!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I just heard from someone at Chargers headquarters a similar story involving Norv Turner. Word is that Norv was actually seen cleaning out his mailbox yesterday, several old postmarked fan letters from one "Trumpet Man" were said to have been in the box and not opened, as well as a slew of Pollo Loco coupons and letters from Ed McMahon... What does this all mean??

Pointy :icon_twisted:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Don't suppose the team would be interested in finding a way to teach their OL and FBs to run block effectively now would they?

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I am all for drafting LT's replacement next year, but he will need a year or two to groom. My gut says LT is with us for another two, maybe three seasons.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    The only thing rumor articles like this does is stir up pointless conversation and ill feelings (or maybe praise from a select few) towards management over something they haven't even done. (maybe yet)

If it happens it happens, but in the meantime we have no idea if it will and suggesting it will is pure speculation.

7. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    (drums his fingers and waits for the AJ Smith response to this)

We don't talk about our football business. Everyone is a charger one year at a time. We'll evaluate the players, coaching staff, and scouting department at the end of the season.

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I'd imagine what happens the rest of this season would have an impact on this decision.

Spanos really likes LT though, and so does the fan base, so it may not just come down to the money.

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I'm going with you. It's not only LT's fault having covered small amount of yards. a Better O-Line will bring back
    100y games.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    LT may not be back next year if he's expecting the same kind of cash he's making this year. That is all.

11. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I love LT, but as much as I wish it weren't so, I fear his best days are behind him. The magic is gone, NFL defenses have his number, and he no longer possesses the speed or the ability to turn on a dime that he once did.:no: It's nobody's fault---except it WOULD be nice to have a decent O-line---but it is what it is, and the sooner we accept it, the sooner we can rebuild IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I believe LT still has some good games left in him, providing he gets the blocking. Time wait's for no one and it won't wait for LT.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He could be, but a good RB can produce right out of college. It isn't a position that needs 2-3 yrs. to groom. Hell ... in today's NFL, that's 1/3 - 1/2 of a RB's productive life span.

Thanks, ****. :icon_tease:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    A RB is only as good as his offensive line.
    No RB would be better behind this pathetic line that AJ destroyed!!! :icon_evil:

15. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Take the rosey colored goggles off folks...when joe schmoe linebacker is solo tackling LT in space, it's time to face the facts. When I see his moves, they look like a shadow of his former stuff, and I am talking about when he is past the initial blockers.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    as usual the media is only half right. Sproles is needed to be kept. And ladanian let go. But our first pick has to be a d-lineman. Thats where were weak. Plus there are no real good rb's in this years draft. The second or third rounder should probably be used on picking up a good back.:yes:

Were rivers team from here on. With a rotation of different backs. But we also need to keep the stable of wr's we have now. Jackson, floyd, nannee. And theres one or two more I'm forgetting. Solidfy the o-line. Definetly add one or two more better d-lineman to the rotation and lets play football.

Thanks LT. You were a great one. But time stops for no man.

17. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    IF it's LT's final year, so be it.....but I would caution anyone who thinks this running game is just going to magically get better with LT gone.

#1- Who do you replace him with? The only runningback we might have drafted this year at the top end of the draft would have been Knowshon Moreno who several posters on this board were crowing about incesently. How is he doing behind a MUCH better O Line in Denver? 3.7 ypc...just barely better than LT who has to dodge a blocker in the backfield just to get to the line of scrimmage. He looks slow and he was the best back coming out of college....Some years it's like that...and there really are only 2-3 impact backs if that in your average draft. I'm all for getting a more productive back....if there is one....But I'm not for paying a monster 1st round contract to a guy who will yield crappy Knowhon Moreno's production.

#2- It is likely to be an uncapped year next year. Who cares what we are paying LT if that is the case. I would say the first option should be to work it out to keep him as a reserve if we can to mentor and tutor another young back like he did so well with the Burner and Sproles (and for those who don't believe it, Michael Turner freely admits that he learned a lot from LT).

#3- If we bring in a free agent, who would it be and for how much? I'm not paying top dollar for Ricky Williams who is 32. He is fine now because Ronnie Brown is doing all of the heavy lifting in Miami....Wait until he becomes the guy with the target on his back....That goes for any of these backs in a "reserve" roll.....Look at how Lamont Jordan fell on his face as a starter after looking unstoppable as Curtis Martin's back up in NY.

I'm just saying....There is a lot to be worked on to get this running game moving...and very little of it has to do with the back himself. The chances of us finding a back with the skill level of LT in his prime are slim to none...and that's the kind of back it would take to put up the dominant numbers some are hoping for behind this line with zero creativity in playcalling.

18. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    LT can always restructure his contract again. There's ways around this. As of right now, he is our best option, and I believe he will be our best option in 2010. You guys are forgetting we drafted some running back in 2008 in the later rounds, and he got cut, we drafted Gartrell Johnson this year, and he got sent to the practice squad, then picked up by the Giants (but where is he now?)
    Lt will have ONE more shot in 2010 from Spanos, then will be picked up by the Saints in 2011 :yes:

19. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Give us Houck for the O-Line Coordinator and LT will be synonomous with HOF..........

20. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Emotional Tomlinson savors victory

By Kevin Acee
    Monday, November 9, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — They were for so long practically inextricable, big days by LaDainian Tomlinson and Chargers victories.

No more.

Yesterday, by any statistical measure, was one of the worst games of Tomlinson's Hall of Fame career. Yet there he was at the end, that diamond-bright smile beaming, embracing the head coach he hasn't seen eye to eye with for much of the past 2½ years.

Tomlinson has been talking about how he wants to play five more years. But he knows that might not happen and his career is closer to its sunset than its sunrise.

“I've been through a lot in my career; it's hard work,” he said softly as he stood alone in the locker room an hour after yesterday's 21-20 win over the Giants. “I don't want to say I'm coming to the end. But I don't know if I'll ever be in this stadium again. You cherish certain moments. That's one I'll remember forever.”

Tomlinson's 22 rushing yards yesterday were the third-fewest of his career. In a sign of the changing times on the Chargers' offense, it was just his second-lowest total this season, as he rushed for 15 yards last month at Pittsburgh. It was just the fourth time in his career he was held under 2 yards per carry.

But the man says a championship is the only significant statistic left to cap his career.

“Sometimes, for selfish reasons, I want to have a good game,” Tomlinson said.

“I want to have 100 yards; I want to have a touchdown. Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Yeah, I'm going to look back and feel disappointed because I didn't have the numbers. But at the end of the day, we won the game.

“Things have changed. We haven't had the kind of rhythm in the running game we're used to having. It's disappointing. At the same time, we're 5-3 and I'm going to keep playing hard.”

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So Acee said in an article the other day that this was "likely" LT's last season with the Bolts. I think that was pure speculation on his part, an educated guess and nothing more. Now another "rumor" site is reporting that the SDUT reported that LT would not be back with the Chargers next year, which is not what the UT said. Obviously, it would be stupid for the Bolts to have made up their minds to dump LT halfway through a season. I'm sure that decision will be made when the season is over. Not in the middle of november.

• Like Like x 1
  22. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Nail on the head, I couldn't find the words to describe how I felt about the situation (the right words anyways) you summed it up exactly how I and many probably feel. His heart is there, and for 30 the dudes in the top 2 percentile physically, just not when you use NFL scale. It really sucks but its true. I've never been so down in the dumps thinking about any other players inevidable future. I was 9 when Fouts retired, and the other specil players we had just didn't measure up to L.T., were just so damn lucky we've got to witness his career first hand for 9 years, but its time to find a new young buck I'm afraid.

I don't expevt to replace his stats/heart/grit/or ability, as that's wishful thinking. Sure am gonna miss the dude that's for sure.

23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    How did AJ destroy the Oline? McNeil is still there, Dielman is still there, Hardwick is still there.

Oh it's his fault Goff got old, or that Olivea became addicted to drugs, or Hardwick is injury prone....

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I admittedly pine for the days of Houck as our OL coach, but him coming back is a pipe dream.

25. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    No way did he destroy the o-line.
    He just didn't upgrade the areas you mention.
    Goff had been on the slide for a while and his replacement should have been in place.
    Hardwick IS injury prone - so his stand-in should be ready (maybe he is now).

AJ likes to plan ahead in some areas eg Cason, English, but the re-tooling of the O-line didn't appear to be one of his priorities.

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    the NFL is a Business. It probably is LT's last season. Our running game is hopeless right now.

27. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    And a shot rings out from behind the grassy knoll!

Sounds like you're saying A.J. should have kept Goff, Olivea, and prevented Hardwick from getting injured. :icon_eek:

28. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    You've seen L.T. make his way past the initial blockers?!?!? :icon_huh:

29. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Stop making sense. :lol:

30. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    And even MORE stupid to announce or leak that decision NOW.