1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rumor- Vincent Jackson planning to get back at AJ

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Oct 1, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I just heard on XTRA radio that there is a rumor floating around that VJ is looking to take a low base salary deal next year, so that it limits the compensatory pick the Chargers could get in return.

I know it is a rumor, so take it for what it is worth. Just thought it was interesting

2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Good to know he's being mature about the situation

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Did you expect anything different?

4. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    So, the guy with the multiple DUIs is going to be childish too? The more I hear, the more I do not want VJ to come back.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    It's probably the truth according to "Jacksaw"... From Borrego to Bonsall, what do you think, San Diego??!!

Pointy

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    So let me see if I got this straight.

The guy who turned down 3.2 million dollars because it wasn't enough for him and his self-perceived worth is going to willingly take a low-base salary just to spite AJ?

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it. :lol:

edit: Actually, I still won't believe it because if he gets a low base salary it would more likely be because nobody wanted to pay him more.

7. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Nah, it's just kind of absurd.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He will not accure another season this year if he holds out.

He wants money, thus his big "gi'me marshal duckets" contract demands.

He will not take a low ball or back loaded contract because it as team could simply cut VJ before the 'meat' of the contract became due....

Not going to happen.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Wrong station.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just depends how bad he wants to get back at AJ. He could work out a deal with very little in signing bonus and a ton in roster bonuses in year 2-4. He would be giving up guaranteed money, but it is possible

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It would only have to be a low base salary in year one. He could still get a 5 year $50mil deal with $500k in year one and $5-8 mil in roster bonuses in year 2-5

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    He better hope he doesn't get severely injured in year 1 and subsequently cut, then. :lol:

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yep, it would be a gamble he takes. It would just depend on how pissed he is and how much he wants to get back at AJ.

If it does happen, and it goes public that we only get a 5th or 6th round comp pick for him, when we had the chance to get a 2nd round pic for him, fans will be even more pissed

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Some fans will be, but I won't.

I'll just shrug it off as VJ being a childish moron.

There's no way AJ could anticipate VJ being a childish prick like that so if it happens then whatever.

And if you ask me, if VJ goes to that kind of trouble just to spite AJ it only justifies AJ not negotiating with him.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This is a classic example of how a bogus rumor gets started. A few weeks ago one of the NFL pundits was discussing the VJ situation and how the Chargers were expecting to get 3rd round comp pick if VJ bolted. The writer then said that if VJ wanted to screw the Chargers he could sign a contract with a low base salary the first year to try and screw the Chargers out of the comp pick. Now this hypothetical is being repeated by another news outlet as something VJ is considering when it was just some crazy idea concocted by a journalist.

I don't think any player or agent in his right mind would consider backloading a contract. Contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. If VJ defers salary to another year of the deal, there's no guarantee that he will ever see that money.

16. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I know its not likely, but is there any chance VJ slaps the franchise tag on him at the end of the year and still demands picks for him? I mean hes used the tag in much worse ways before (sporles!) and this way we would still get something for VJ. I know if somoene signs him, they would have to trade over 2 #1s which isnt going to happen, but AJ could tag him, and then say hes still looking for a 2&3 and next year VJ wont have any suspensions to worry about.

Also, that would prevent VJ from "getting back" at AJ, and would actually be another FU to VJ from AJ

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I wonder if this guy can get a job at the Washington Post

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    It's the same thinking...

19. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Soggy weather here has afforded me a VJ fix. The objective of the article is for Charger fans to see the organization as being victimized, but it's really just more character assassination of Vince Jackson. This is so beneath this guy! He'll let his play on the field determine who was right. The more subtle implication is that Jackson will fact become a FA, and the team won't be doing something completely contrary to what they're doing now, by franchising him. Accordingly, the Vikings are out of the running and Washington's offer to this point, has been a 3rd rd draft choice.

As for the team's play, I think it's important to gauge whether the personnel is better, worse or about the same as before. While many agree the Chargers can win the west, I believe DenverBolt67 & Trumpet Man are spot on, questioning whether the team has in fact improved.

20. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    it would be fitting if he has a sh!t season and gets cut... VJ is looking like a bigger and bigger turd each day.

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ahhhh wat the heck are you babbling about?

1) what article? The thread discusses rumors heard on a local radio station.... Do you realize what thread you are in?
    2) How is VJ letting his play on the field speak for him? He is letting his arse sit on the couch. He and his agents made many comments in the media. Again, what the heck are you talking about?
    3) How "The more subtle implication is that Jackson will fact become a FA" when he will not acrue a season this year, and most likely will be franchised if he does somehow gain a FA via the CBA, which is not by any stretch of the imagination a given...
    4) What the heck are you babbling about?
    5) Do you realize what thread you are in?
    6) Who cares what ANYONE says about improvement or the lack there of? Records in January are all that will matter...
    7) See 4 and 5 above.

22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Rumor- AJ doesn't give a crap about what Vincent Jackson is planning.

Unidentified sources reported that AJ Smith was spotted dancing in his office today to a song called "I'm Sorry Vince Jackson" while sipping on a Corona.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]

This takes the cake for dumbest VJ holdout related story of the year.

24. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If he wants to get back at AJ, he'll sign a deal with Denver, Kansas City, or Oakland in the offseason.

They'll all be after him.

25. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Has anyone actually confirmed that A.J. was offered a 2 for Jackson? Or is it just "sources" who claim that?

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    sign the offer. then when the Contract is up, tag his but again. Now we get to have him play for cheap, then we seal it up so he cant go anywhere. Then again there is not going to be a next season anyway with the lockout.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Wouldn't he still have to sign the franchise tag?

28. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Come on, who are you really? Vincent Jackson, Neil Schwartz, or Johnathan Feinsod?

29. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Concudan:

I'm sorry for confusing you, but stating that the source wasn't a written article, but rather a rumor on talk radio in no way refutes my argument. People who believe Jackson won't qualify for free agency status under a new CBA are the same type who said his situation had to be resolved before McNeill could be dealt with. Same people who believed the team had offered him the maximum amount allowed under the CBA, that it was Jackson's demands that were unreasonable, and a lot of other ridiculous nonsense! Consider yourself among the grossly misinformed sheepdom. I didn't say that Jackson was letting his play speak for him. I said, rather than publicly denouncing AJ Smith, Vince Jackson will prove the Charger organization wrong.

As for my last comment, you're right, we won't really know until January. Considering what they did and didn't do, I say they didn't do nearly enough. They'll be playing in the first round this year, if at all. That said, if Rivers timing and placement are put to the test and he plays better than what I saw in the playoff loss and this year's opener, then look out, the Chargers have a very good chance!

Savage:

I want to say that the Viking offer was more than rumor, that at least one source had confirmed the compensation from multiple sources close to the situation. Dude, you've been told already, I want Jackson to Washington ...

Leo:

He'd sign it. But how does he go from not even being worth half to more than tripling his market value by sitting on his *** all year? Seems rather odd they wouldn't just do it now. Indeed, they've proven willing to move the guy.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I doubt Jackoffson would lower himself to do anything like that. He may not like AJ, much like Tomlinson, but he is their boss and you know what they say about bosses.