1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Run Defense?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargersFansPDX, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ChargersFansPDX

ChargersFansPDX BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    So I am nervous about our run defense and facing Peterson week one. I gotta believe Greg M. has been working on the problem Can anyone talk me off the ledge here? I remember A Foster tearing us up in the 1st half of the Texans game, the second raider game was awful in run defense, but honestly last year I thought we did alike. We shut down the chiefs running in the second game(they were the NFL's lead rushers) and I don't remember Chris Johnson having a good game against us?

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,726
    First and foremost, the past is the past. This is a new season. Peterson was a rookie back in Nov of 2007 when he set the record against our defense. A lot of our defensive players that played that particular game are no longer with us. We have a new coach, a new attitude, and the past four games didn't count. Along with that, the defense showed no specific schemes to defend against a running attack, very vanilla. But a couple of times this preseason, the defense showed a formation strikingly similar to "Thunderhammer D" and the opposing backs ran through it like butter...

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Our scheme on D is the worst in the NFL. It's not the players fault. It's a joke "hybrid D" means they screwed up the 3-4 as designed. They think its a cool hybrid because we don't always rush our OLB's, zone then and use hold the LOS tactics that no great D coach would teach. D is about penetration at all cost's. At least when we had Phillips for our D cord we mostly rushed our OLB's.

Any team can run up the middle or outside vs us. All we can hope for is that we will blitz 100% of the time and hope other teams are not pro enough to have a system to pick up our blitzers. Also we can hope for fumbles and int's if teams are not wise enough to simply run on us every play then run some play actions wide open pass plays vs us like playoff teams like the Jets will do.

To make things worse the whole rev idea of the 3-4 was to get 2 smaller faster OLB types to 1-1 vs huge slow O- tackles and get many sacks like we used to do. (#56) So sad we brought in a fired up new D cord to run the same exact failed system better? How?

At least our offense is creditable and pro looking, yet I'd improve it also but it holds water "as is."- Not a term u want to hear when u buy something though friends$.

Be concerned ppl. Until we get a new D scheme we are doomed TBH. I'm still going to the game and hoping just like you guys are sadly. Probably be my last game if i see what i expect to see happen, until i see tactical changes that give me hope.

Our offense will have to carry this team as it has the last 4 years. Our D will not win us 1 single game based on the formations and scheme that i see.

4. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Mr. Pointy, our D did not line up in a ThunderHammer D. (Feel free to dl my formation in my signature then go back look at film). It simply had players near the LOS, they did none of my techniques to create penetration or even line up in a formation that would give them Thunderhammer type of advantages. (ThunderHammer is a RAGE D- you will understand why when/if they ever use it ::bolt2: It was designed to win games on it's own, by me.

Yet, the Chargers D looked pretty swEEt when they at least stacked the LOS. When they did, they did well factually, as I was happy to see, post stats. Post YPC vs our stacked los type of thing we used a few times this preseason please. There is a huge difference between simply having #'s/players up on the LOS and having them in the exact right places to start and the coordination of what each player is expected to do. I know this for an absolute fact! Based on years of testing, I did to come up with this ult1mate D.

My D does work and it has been used by a team i HC'd coached for 1 year. (If you ever figure out where i coached u will realize it was named WARHAMMER- top secret D) I made great efforts to not let it be known how great it was by mixing in other d's to blend it in to not allow teams to figure out things... Truthfully, it worked so well just in practice vs our starting O everyone complained! I never ran it even in practice vs my own team ever again. (Too many players on our O were getting hurt, but needed to build up our player confidence in how great our D was going to be).

Not 1 time did the CHARGERS run a by design of mine (World famous,"delayed tactics") delayed blitz, which starts at the LOS not 1 foot back from it... If they ever do you will be so happy when the light:tup: comes on for our team! :) Hopefully some other team doesn't figure out what I talk about on here 1st.

5. ChargersFansPDX

ChargersFansPDX BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't judge Manufsky until we have some real games in the tank, sure I would rather still have Rivera. I am hoping with that long off season he came up with something amazing that we have not seen yet. This rebuilding using the coach and parts of the 49ers D never sat well with me because it's not like they were good last year. I am trusting Norv right now, and hope to be proven wrong.

6. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone here disagree that a 3 man rush is called a "prevent D"? (I know we blitz players to make our D not a total joke to everyone in the league) Also does anyone agree that if you only rush 3 players every play on D you will most likely lead the NFL in injured D players? If you run more lame Offensive hook WR routes than most NFL teams do, u will also lead the league in injured WR players as well?

Does anyone get what I'm saying? 1 problem in flawed schemes will lead to others and so on. Like wise if you ran my strats we would not have many players injured. Probably league the league in not having injured players :).

Does anyone wonder why we led the whole NFL in injured players last year? We give so much praise to our staff for getting new players to fill the holes?

My biggest fear is if teams ever figure out that our D is based completely on blitzing players, and if they practice to pick them up, we done.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    How in god's name do you put someone on ignore?

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The bolt D has always been a concern of mine, Manusky's marshmallow warriors need to tighten up this year if there will be any hope of a post season.

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That feature is missing from the new "improved" site....... #imjustsaying ;)

11. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    WHY THE **** IS COOL **** STILL HERE!?

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    To make the rest of us feel better about ourselves?
    If ever there was a poster boy for the value of the ignore feature, world chimp has got to be it.

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Does anybody know if B4L still lives?

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Last I heard he was up here in Temecula. Is he no longer posting as SOSD?

15. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Love me, hate me just feel something fans :). Bring this passion to da game! If things fail try help get our team to change strats, that's all i ask. If AP sets another rushing record vs us week #1. Will you commit to trying to help get a hold of our team to beg for tactical changes, maybe even help give my plays/formations to the front office?

Just curious are you guys OK with another 9-7 miss the playoffs possible result? Where the Raiders & Chiefs ran all over us? We are using the exact same strategy as last year....You do know our D scheme suxs vs the run by now right?

After the Pats game #2 you will know exactly where we stand.

16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,726
    Yes you are...

17. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    67% of our homers at .com are concerned with our defense, go look at the pool that was voted on there. This is the crowd that will ban members just for saying we need to fix things. What more do we need here where our fans are more likely to be honest to et concerned? I explained the problems clearly. I offered solutions. Someone who knows someone should step up and help get my strats to the chargers. Quote from a longtime fan:
    [​IMG]
    Thunderstruck [​IMG]
    R.I.P. George Carlin
    Originally Posted by LABoltsFan [​IMG]
    ask yourself...
    does what you've seen, really concern you against the Vikings?

Considering the Vikings have arguably the best RB in the NFL and one of the best run-blocking o-lines.... yes. It does really concern me.

18. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    If you actually believed in your strategies, then stop being such a lazy *** and do it yourself.

19. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,726
    One Coolo Guy;

In case you can't figure it out, the whole purpose of the statement highlighted above was a sarcastic remark. Of course, in your blind and stupid belief that you took this statement as gospel, it just proves what the rest of us already know... the proof is in all of the subsequent posts that you addressed the issue... GPS

20. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Pointy, I feel your pain. You hate on me so that you will feel happy, i get it. I do hope you are happy to do so. I love you as a fellow human and try and understand you. My schemes are to help our team not to promote me in any way. I am trying to help only, even if you do not understand this fact. I'm already very happy in life. I do not need anything else, except to get to heaven and be peaceful with Jesus. I like to think you have good intentions in one way or another about our team. If not that's ok. Fans are supposed to be able to just support and enjoy wins as if we won them etc.

If one day I succeed in convincing and getting us to SB victories with better plans that would be perfect. I would still be as if you never met me. I would simply give the tactics to the staff, not be in site. I would be low profile watching and cheering just like other fans.

If you ever get to see my schemes used and they succeed greatly you could be like I used to mock that dude online and enjoy your thoughts.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=89495 <-- Happiest read I have had since being a Charger fan.
    This defense has talent but they aren't executing and thats all on Manusky.[/QUOTE]

21. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Our team missed the playoff's last year. We replaced our D cord with another guy who's team missed the playoff's, what are my fellow fans not understanding? Does anyone want me to post anything more tactically explaining our schemes failures so it will be more crystal clear?

I even put in my signature 1 of my many formation fixes. Let me know if you want drawings to show what we do now and all its failures tactically. We cannot win SB's until we address our problems.

So sad, I love the Bolts & have to say our D is the worst I have ever seen as a main D strat. My pop Warner teams went unbeaten with a 1972 5-2 d. (They taught us back then the DE had outside contain or covered the RB, things that only the Pats are doing properly in the NFL?) My HS team won California state used a 4-4 stack & a 6-2 another year. Minor league teams basically running D's that are 50% min better tactically. Then u get to college and somehow u see worse schemes. Then you go watch our local Chargers NFL team and they rushing only 3 players, and then blitz a lot to justify it?

This stuff its crazy.

22. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    NO!
    The majority of the people on this forum understand football...yes the Chargers (and every other NFL team) have issues to work out. It is good that you care, but going on and on about how you could "fix" everything with your strategy is getting really old.

Perhaps you should print out your entire playbook (...both pages) and have your mom drive you down to Chargers Park so you can present your revolutionary schemes to Norv. If you can get past the receptionist, you might get to hear Norv say "Thank you for stopping by...here's a cookie, go away!"

• Like Like x 2