1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Running back is question mark

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010

LaDainian Tomlinson is probably not the only running back leaving the Chargers for another team in 2010.
    In fact, the Chargers could have an entirely new three-deep backfield next season.
    With free agency looming, it is all but certain that, because of the high cost, the Chargers will not offer Darren Sproles a one-year, restricted free-agent tender, and the dynamic back/kick returner will hit the open market.
    After that, who knows? Sure, Sproles could decide he loves San Diego and the Chargers enough to agree to stay. But another team could sell Sproles on the idea he can be used more in its offense and be willing to pay him more.
    The Chargers have long been interested in keeping Sproles long term, and talks on such a contract will heat up this week at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. In fact, Sproles’ agent, Gary Wichard, is also the agent for Antonio Cromartie, who is being actively shopped for trade. So Wichard will be in close contact with Chargers Vice President Ed McGuire in Indianapolis.
    While the Chargers will continue to talk multiyear contract with Sproles, they cannot justify the almost $7.3 million, one-year tender it would take to keep him.
    As a restricted free agent, Sproles must be given a tender by 9 p.m. March 4 or he becomes unrestricted — free to negotiate with any team.
    A restricted free agent is tied to his original team in that the team puts a tender on him and then is entitled to compensation in the form of a draft pick (or picks) corresponding to the tender should the player sign with a different club.
    For example, the Chargers will likely place a first-round tender on receiver Malcom Floyd. That would guarantee Floyd $2.521 million if he makes the opening-day roster or require any team that signed Floyd to give the Chargers a first-round pick in this year’s draft. (The teams can also negotiate a lesser draft pick or picks and/or a future pick or picks.)
    However, a restricted free agent is also entitled to a 10 percent raise if that is more than the tender amount. Sproles made $6.621 million as the Chargers’ franchise player in 2009.
    Even without a salary cap, paying more than $7 million to a role player is too much for the Chargers.
    Other than to acknowledge the obvious — that there is uncertainty at tailback — Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith will not comment about what his team will do at running back.
    While the Chargers have sought a veteran running back and might still be in the market to trade for one, this week’s Combine will be of special interest as the Chargers poke and prod and get to know what is perceived to be a deep running back class.
    Come April, they could spend two of their six draft picks (a sixth-rounder was sent to Houston for Travis Johnson) on backs. And any undrafted free-agent back would be wise to consider the Chargers, because if Sproles leaves, the club’s only remaining player at running back is Michael Bennett.
    Bennett, who will turn 32 in mid-August, is due $1.25 million in 2010. But it is also possible a younger back could beat him out for a roster spot.

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    It would be great if one of these undrafted guys comes out of nowhere to win the starting job. I love stories like that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    its looking more and more like were gonna have a whole new tandem at running back.

Alots gonna depend on what can be done with trying to trade cro.

Right now I'd have to say our first two picks will be rb. If cro gets traded one of those picks might be a cb.

4. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    I like the fact that no one knows our running situation including us, makes for a really exciting season.

No expectations. Lets face it, can it be any worse than last season?

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    With a little luck we could actually improve our rb situation. There are some really good rb's in this draft.

The one problem I see is trading cro. If we can't get an early 2nd rounder for him we might as well keep him. CAuse trading cro we'll need another good cb probably via the draft. IF we just used our first two picks on rb's we could do very well. Land two very good rb's. But if we have to use one early draft pick for a cb then were really cutting into our chances of landing two good rb's.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I disagree that we can't get a whole new RB group that will give us atleast the same production as we got last year at a minimum.

We could go for a couple of 3rd rounders like, Hardesty and Blount. And then pick up a change of pace back like Coker as a UDFA. Hardesty would be the general purpose back between the 20's. Blount would be for Red Zone and other short yardage type needs plus late in the game to run the clock. Coker would take over for Sproles, 3rd down and return duties.

You could go higher in the draft for your general purpose guy and get someone like Mathews, Dwyer or Dixon. As far as the jumbo guy, Blount IMO has the best upside and could turn out to be the best back in the class, but if you can't get past his past then Scott or Gerhart would be options. You could go for a more known guy for the change of pace also but that is putting allot of eggs in one basket (position) and for what hype that might be all that seperates some of these guys, but McCluster and McKnight are more known than Coker but not faster. Coker is bigger than even Sproles and has close to CJ2K speed.

I really like my 3 choices and the value at where they drafted and the reduced cost for the whole group to the teams overall player cost would be a HUGE advantage.

My 3 again are Hardesty, Blount, and Coker.

7. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Do you mean the rushing game can't get worse or the season as a whole?

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I disagree. I think a tandem of Chester Taylor and Blount (3rd round) would be a very good tandem and allow us to concentrate on defense the 1st 2 rounds. Plus, if we can get a 3rd for Phillips and Cro, it would allow us to get a ILB, CB, NT, and DE in the 1st 3 rounds while still addressing the RB situation

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Can we sign a Chester Taylor? I thought we had to lose a free agent before we could sign one

I like this thinking

:tup:

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes:
    Q. What is the Final Eight Plan?

A. During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the Divisional Playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. They cannot sign any UFAs unless one of theirs is signed by another team.

For the four clubs that lost in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters. Those four only will be permitted to sign one unrestricted free agent for $5.5 million (estimated) or more in year one of the contract, plus the number of their UFAs who sign with another team. They also can sign any unrestricted free agents for less than $3.7 (estimated) million in year one of the contract with limitations on the per year increases.

In the case of all final eight teams, the first year salary of UFAs they sign to replace those lost cannot exceed the first year salary of the player lost with limitations on the per year increases.​

The Bold part applies to us as we were a team that lost in the divisional round

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Quote To Note:

"I told him I wish on my part that I could have contributed more as a GM to make it happen for him to hold that trophy or a Super Bowl ring."

—GM A.J. Smith on failing to build a Super Bowl team while Tomlinson was playing for the Chargers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sdg/report#notes_quotes