1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

running game: 2009 vs 2010

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Feb 26, 2010.

?

which year will have a better running attack?

1. 2009

10.7%
  2. 2010

89.3%
  1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    some say it's Norv's system, some say it's LT losing a step, assuming the Chargers draft a RB in the first couple of rounds, will the running game improve or get worse in 2010?

I'll go out on a limb and say it will improve

I think LT is no longer good, just average (pains me to say it), maybe the OL was not great at run blocking (understatement) but there where many holes their that a younger LT would have exploited for 10-20 yards, last year he would try to accelerate, you'd think "ok, here comes a long one" and suddently he would go down with an ankle tackle or beeing caught from behind/side.

A rookie power RB might not exploit holes like the younger LT but he might plunge for more yards than LT did last year and that alone would be an improvement

2. super17

super17 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Although LT was obviously not the same back......our running game won't improve until our OL dose. Really hopeing we for go a RB with the first pick, it's a deep draft for RB's. WE NEED BEEF!!

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    How about a 3rd option for "Equally as bad"

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Improving is not a hard thing. The question will it improve significantly with a young RB and healthy line? I doubt it. Anything less than a rushing offense ranked in the top 20-25 will not be enough of an improvement to justify saying it was all LT's fault

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I think we'll be highly effective with two young power backs in the backfield and perhaps even Reggie Bush? If we lose Sproles we could go after Pierre Thomas or Reggie Bush in FA.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Pierre Thomas is a RFA and will be tendered. NO has no reason NOT to tender him. And Reports are saying we have NO is going to keep Bush even with his $8mil contract

7. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I miss marty ball. Why not fire norv... then hire back marty and draft 3 rbs? We could get Matthews, Blount and Dixon or something and just run people the ++++ over all day.

Btw im kidding but it would be nice to have some run game!

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree it would be nice. I just think we need a happy medium between Marty ball and Norv ball. Can we just get a balanced offense?

9. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Either that or if we are gonna run the ball up the middle for 0-3 yards every time might as well get someone like spiller that can catch and run insane screens and outside so when norv decides not to call a 1 yard dive play they can make something happen. No point in a dwyer if they get 2yds a carry inside bc of norv's system and then can't catch or make the explosive plays sproles or old lt could...

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    How bout a DOMINANT passing game with a dangerous running game to boot? Kind of a "pick your poison" offense?

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don;t know about you, but I didn't see LT or Sproles getting to many passes out of the backfield.

They had nearly as many catches between the 2 of them as LT averaged by himself throughout the rest of his career

12. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Really? THat doesn't make sense to you?

They were splitting time so if they ran the same amount of passes to hbs than it would make sense that it was split between them....

:icon_shrug:

Would u wanna lose this?

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    We seemed to have a pretty balanced offense this year. We passed the ball maybe 90 times more all year and that equals out to about 1.5 more passes per quarter for 16 games. What we need is better run blocking or use/get a RB that can run through arm tackles.

14. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    how can u call it balanced when half of our runs were of like 1 yard? IF we thre 60% incomplete passes wouldn't you be a little worried regaurdless of weather we still passed alot? In fact shouldn't u be more worried?

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Balance in effectiveness and use of the run and pass. Currently, the running game is used as nothing more than a decoy to setup the run. It isn't used as a legit weapon

16. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    With this mentality, why don't we just use all our draft picks on running backs? Matthews, Best, Gerhart, Dixon, Tate, and McNight. :lol:

(We'd still be drafting better than the Raiders!)

17. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    This year for us will probably be like the 08 giants team. a couple different guys with different skill sets sharing the load...

18. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    If this is what you like, we can just draft Golden Tate and line him up as a HB. :yes:

19. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    He said balanced "offense" and not balanced in terms of equal yardage. Please show me how many teams ran the ball for as many yards as they passed it. What you are talking about is something totally different and I also answered that when I made the remark about getting better run blocking (thus the better chance for more yards per attempt).

20. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    So what you're saying is LT wasn't really trying out there this year? Not exactly sure what you mean by the run was a "decoy" to set up the run. I'm sure that Norv ran the ball up the middle with LT because he also knew that LT could no longer get to the outside and break it up the sideline the way he use to. He probably had a better chance of success up the gut.

21. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Instead of dwelling on the negitive, let us try to stay positve. Why don't we add a O-Lineman or two, draft a RB by commitee system that nearly every above average rushing team had and turn the page and go forward.

How do all you naysayers explain Tolbert success running the ball last season behind our so-called bad run blocking scheme. He averaged 5.9 YPC and gained most of those yards in 2 games, the 2nd one at Denver and the game on Christmas Night in Tenn.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Here are the #'s, we are the 3rd worst (Biggest difference) is difference between passing and rushing yards.

TEAM Pass yds Rush yds Difference
    Indianapolis 4515 1294 3221
    Houston 4654 1475 3179
    San Diego 4338 1423 2915
    Arizona 4016 1494 2522
    New England 4436 1921 2515
    Philadelphia 4089 1637 2452
    Pittsburgh 4148 1793 2355
    Green Bay 4180 1885 2295
    New Orleans 4355 2106 2249
    Minnesota 4156 1918 2238
    Dallas 4287 2103 2184
    NY Giants 4019 1837 2182
    Washington 3490 1508 1982
    Chicago 3473 1492 1981
    Seattle 3503 1566 1937
    Denver 3627 1836 1791
    Atlanta 3571 1876 1695
    Detroit 3168 1616 1552
    San Francisco 3052 1600 1452
    Tampa Bay 2975 1625 1350
    Jacksonville 3356 2029 1327
    Baltimore 3419 2200 1219
    Kansas City 2922 1929 993
    Miami 3170 2231 939
    St. Louis 2686 1784 902
    Oakland 2557 1701 856
    Cincinnati 2890 2056 834
    Buffalo 2515 1867 648
    Tennessee 3031 2592 439
    Carolina 2799 2498 301
    Cleveland 2076 2087 -11
    NY Jets 2380 2756 -376

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Here is a question for you. Do you honestly think they will be looking for starting O-linemen this year? I highly doubt it. But that will be very telling on what management thinks about our running game. If they go after another RT and/or RG from a school that knows how to run the ball, then it will be obvious that they care about the running game. If they completely ignore all run blocking linemen, like they did last year, the it will be obvious that they do not care about running the ball

As for Tolbert, he got all but 3 of his carries during garbage time of blowouts against Denver, Tenn, and KC. You really need to learn to look at things in their proper perspective and not just at face value

24. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe you missed my Charger Mock on the draft sub-forum on the other board but I posted it on this site also. I not only want the Cahrgers to draft a O-Lineman I want 2 and both in the 2nd round if we get a 2nd pick i Round 2 for Cro.

My two guys who BTW did very well yest. at the combine in Ducasse and Veldheer. Ducasse might turn out to be a guard.

You have to get off this Vasquez played a spread offense in college and therefore he can't run block. He has the skill set and improved throughout the year. He could be a very good RG for awhile here.

DB67, I am not against upgrading and/or bring on more options in the O-Line. I have concerns about McNeil and his comeback season after the 2008 injury last year, Dielman made the Pro Bowl but IMO mad eit on REP more than results from last year. I also always concern myself with cost factors and health issues. Both of these guys has Starter Talent, maybe not year one but in the first 3 years for sure. They are a higher caliber of O-Lineman than we have had here in quite awhile, skillset wise.

I answered your question,. how about an explanation on Tolbert and his results behind this poorly coached, incorrect scheme, with terible play calling O-Line. Because the guy that said that above said the proof was in the stats of our other RB's stats and I need to have this explained.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Let me start by saying, I really hope you are right and we get a 2nd from Cro. But I doubt it. We get a 3rd at best.

I know you want us to go line, the question was, do you think they will go line? They didn't last year when they had a stud available in the 1st. I just like you hope they do, I just think Norv and AJ feel the line does a good job protecting Rivers, and that is what matters. Run blocking is just an nice to have thing. But pass blocking is the main concern in the org's mind.

As for Tolbert, he got those yards in garbage time when both Denver and Tenn had started benching starters.

Example, was Chad Simpson a great RB or does it show that Indi is really a good running team because he rushed for 6.8 even though both of Ind's top 2 RB's ran for less than 4ypc?

You need to look at the situation for when players achieved their stats, not just what they achieved.

26. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't remember either team benching starters. In fact bothn games where huge for the other teams. Tenn. had won 7 out of 8 and was trying to get back into the playoff picture. And Denver was 6-0 and was trying to basically eliminate us all together.

In fact I would go the whole other way on this, that both defenses knew we were going to run and take the air out of the ball late with the leads we had and Tolbert behind our Line with those plays called ran for the yards he did anyway.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So Hester is a great RB also because he had over 6ypc against Denver?

Both Denver and Tenn had their will broken, and neither team stood a chance if it was you and I running the ball. Both team had quit and started benching their starters. It would be one thing if Tolbert got those #'s early in the game, but when it is garbage time, you need to really look at situational stats.

Fact of the matter is, the Chargers couldn't run the ball in any game all year long except 2 games when we had beaten our opponents by the beginning of the 4th quarter, and it was only in the 4th that we were able to run it after the other team had quit and started sitting their starters

28. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    We had 4 of 5 games after the first Denver Game where the Chargers ran for over 100 yards and then the Tenn game. That is 5 to me NOT 2 as you stated.

This is going to go no where, I think it was most LT, some O-Line and I think with a RB by committee system for next season we wll be as good and probally better.

We will just have to wait and see how this turns out. But don't bet against me.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think we will be better, as we can't get much worse. But I don't think it will be significantly better. If we do not have over 4 ypc, then we still will have a horrible offense. We need a power back in this scheme as Norv rarely calls any plays other than dive plays, and we need RB's that can push the pile and over come a line that doesn't create hole by making his own holes.

I think if we can get Blount to split carries with Tolbert, and a guy like Chester Taylor to be our receiver out of the back field, then we could have a descent RB committee.

30. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I think part of the play calling rested on the back corps as well. LT had proved he couldn't do anything on the sides anymore (partly his fault, partly the line's, partly the FB), so why make the calls? If you've got a rusher who can't make cuts anymore, and you still NEED to run the ball a little to keep the defense honest and let PR and VJ do their thing, then you will HAVE to make the decision. Do you want the 1-2 yard gain up the middle, or the 2 yard loss on trying to get to the outside? Even sprole's best success was as the check down receiver...