1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Running Game Question

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by coachmarkos, Nov 10, 2009.

1. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Jul 12, 2009
    (I am cross-posting this from another forum, so please forgive me to all of the other bi-posters!)

Whenever we pull a guard to lead in our running game, which is often...

Why is it that our opponents are able to jump through the backside gap so quickly?

It has happened time and time again, I really started noticing it when Norv took over a few years back. It obviously has something to do with his playbook or playcalling or something.

I'm not an expert on O-Line play at all, other than saying...that was a good block. So, I'm interested in some of your thoughts on this.

Are we tipping our plays? This seems really simplistic, but possible because it happens ALOT.

Are we not doing a good job "blocking down" to cut off the backside D-lineman? Is this the fault of the tackle? Or a TE? or a FB? I don't think it's the fullback as he is 90-some% of the time leading the play. Certainly can't always be the TE's fault, as the TE's are moved around alot. And as far as the tackle goes...they are usually engaged with a DE, so that is a difficult block to make.

This makes me think it must be some sort of a scheme thing.

It just happens alot. Way too often, in my opinion.

And yes, this question has bothered me for a long time, but it really got hammered home last night watching the Steelers just pummell the Broncos with the running game...and I was thinking "their Guard is pulling... someone would have gotten through there on us"

Thoughts or insights on this?
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

At first blush I would say that it may be on Mruc, but I'm no expert on the OL play either. I don't believe we see it happen as often with Hardwick in the game. Correct me there if I'm wrong. If that's the case, then it makes me wonder if either Mruc is missing something when he calls the blocking assignments at the line or if he simply makes a better block to seal that backside gap.