1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Runyan Pleased to Find Perfect Opportunity

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Nov 24, 2009.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    My initial question was his physical condition. If he has been training like this, he could be really useful in the stretch and the playoffs, especially since he will be extremely fresh.

3. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I hope he has plenty of rust if he plays sunday (which Im sure he will)

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I especially like how he says he's in the best shape he's been in a decade. I expect him to say that, but if that's remotely true, Philip will have all day to find the open guy/guys.

Perfect timing he's practicing tomorrow, working him into the starting role with four games remaining and the playoffs. The potential magnitude of this signing is off the charts for us.

I'm pumped!

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Wow...KC fans are grasping at ANYTHING. :icon_tease:

Runyan won't play Sunday.

6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Runyan might be in for a few snaps on Sunday, especially if Dombrowski struggles.

...and yes, KC fan is grasping at anything...3 and 7 will do that to you.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Casey Pearce

Posted Nov 24, 2009

Newly-signed Chargers offensive tackle Jon Runyan had to be patient, but Tuesday he found a great fit.

After opportunities to find a new home came and went prior to the start of the 2009 season, veteran offensive tackle Jon Runyan was content to be patient and wait for the perfect situation.

That came Tuesday in the form of a first-place team suddenly in need of help at tackle due to injuries. Runyan, a 13-year veteran who had started 192-consecutive games before the Eagles released him this spring, signed a one-year contract with the Chargers.

“It’s unfortunate that a lot of times it takes an injury to get in a position like this, but once the beginning of the season passed, this is the kind of situation I was looking for,” Runyan said. “I was fortunate enough that it worked out here. It’s the right time and right situation and I felt comfortable doing it.”

Runyan (6-7, 330) will fill the roster spot of Jeromey Clary, who will be placed on “Reserve-Injured” Tuesday. Runyan underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee in February but believes he’s physically ready to get back at it. He’ll practice with the Chargers Wednesday as they begin preparations for Sunday’s game against the Chiefs.

I’m probably in the best shape I’ve been in in 10 years,” Runyan said. “I’ve been training that much. It’s my personality; when I do it outside of the football facility, I tend to overdo it. It’s a little more relaxed when you’re in the building all the time. I’ve been going four or five days a week for the past nine months so I’m there (physically).

General Manager A.J. Smith lauded Runyan’s physical presence and said that the veteran “will be added to the mix” at offensive tackle.

“We are very fortunate that a player of Jon’s experience and ability was available at this time,” Smith said. “He is an outstanding competitor and I have always admired the physical, nasty approach he brings to the field every game.”

In 13 NFL seasons, Runyan has appeared in 223 games, including 21 playoff contests, five conference championship games and two Super Bowls. He began his career with the Houston Oilers and holds the distinction of being the only active NFL player who spent time with the franchise before its move to Tennessee. After four seasons in Houston/Nashville, Runyan signed with Philadelphia where he was a fixture at right tackle for nine seasons. He’ll spent Tuesday night immersing himself in the Chargers’ playbook as he tries to quickly pick up the offense.

“It’s a foreign language,” Runyan said. “But the basis of football is all the same. It’s just a matter of making that transition in your mind. I’m ready to get to work on it.”

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers lose Clary for season; sign Runyan

Posted Nov 24, 2009

The Chargers signed veteran free agent tackle Jon Runyan today to the active roster. Runyan replaces starting right tackle Jeromey Clary on the roster after he was placed on Reserve-Injured.

The San Diego Chargers signed veteran free agent tackle Jon Runyan today to the active roster. Runyan replaces starting right tackle Jeromey Clary on the roster after Clary was placed on Reserve-Injured with an ankle injury.

Runyan, who turns 36 on Friday, has been one of the NFL’s premier offensive tackles over the previous 13 seasons. His career statistics demonstrate a model of consistency and durability. The past 12 seasons (1997-08), he never missed a regular season or postseason start, totaling 213 straight games (192 consecutive regular season starts and 21 postseason starts).

“We are very fortunate that a player of Jon’s experience and ability was available at this time,” said Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith. “He is an outstanding competitor, and I have always admired the physical, nasty approach he brings to the field every game. He will be added to the mix and we will move forward.”

During his career, Runyan has played in two Super Bowls, including Super Bowl XXXIV with Tennessee following the 1999 season and Super Bowl XXXIX with Philadelphia following the ’04 season; five Championship Games, and the Pro Bowl following the 2002 season.

Runyan, 6-7, 330, played collegiately at Michigan where he was selected in the fourth round (109th overall) in 1996 by the Houston Oilers. He played for Houston/Tennessee from 1996-99 before joining the Eagles as an unrestricted free agent in 2000. Runyan started every game for Philadelphia at right tackle from 2000-08.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The rumor is he will sit for two games as he gets up to speed with the playbook. I'm guessing Dombrowski will start sunday.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    They're saving him for Dallas.

He fu.cking hates Dallas.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Welcome to San Diego, Mr. Runyan. :yes:

Wear the Chargers uniform proudly. :tup:

Help us get you that ring that you & all of the Charger Nation want so badly. :icon_toast:

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Ehh....I can't say I'm overwhelmed with excitement over this guy.

Apparently he's coming off of major microfracture surgery, he's already in his mid 30's and slowing down, and it took 11 1/2 weeks for him to get another deal in a league desperate for O-linemen. I hope this guy can just be Jerome Clary from what I've heard.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I ain't counting no egg's just yet over this signing, he may be in great physical shape but that ain't football shape. It will take him at least 3-4 weeks to get in the groove of playing not to mention he needs to learn out offense.

I'll be happy if this project works out cause the good lord knows we could use the help. Mr. Runyan welcome to Dego and I'm hoping this can lead to a great ending to our season and your career. Help us get that elusive Ring. :icon_toast:

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I hear what you are saying, but 5 teams were interested in signing him before the season (including the Bolts). Runyan declined. I think he was hoping to find the best situation where he might actually be more than a backup for a good team. That meant waiting until a good team lost a starting tackle to IR.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    The Chiefs and Browns are 30th and 21st in sacks, respectively. We need to take them seriously... but if our o-line is going to be soft for a week or two I'm glad it's against these teams.

16. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Runyan has always been a mauler. Even if he plays at 90% he's a major upgrade. Assuming he is healthy, he could really stabilize that side of the line and Vasquez will learn more form him in the rest of this season that he might of over the next three seasons alongside Clary (no offense to Clary).

17. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    He'll be an upgrade over Dombrowski and if he plays at 85% of his previous level, he'll be an upgrade over Clary.

18. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I hadn't thought of this...maybe even the injured Clary can learn a thing or two! Certainly big Dom will. But lets not get carried away with the learning front....he wants to be a congressman not a coach!!!

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It would be great if Runyan's style can rub off onto a few of our guy's.