1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Runyan...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    First, I want to say that I think Brandyn Dombrowski has been doing a very nice job....and maybe an upgrade over Clary at RT....I think we found something there for the future....but going into the playoffs, I personally would feel better about having a grizzled vet like Runyan in there assuming he is fully healthy......From what little I saw of him last night, he looked great. He is the kind of player that is a stabilizer for any OLine unit...and having he and Hardwick on either side of Vasquez, could really help the rookie out when the pressure ratchets up about 10 notches come the divisional round.

I say let Runyan start next week and give it a full game so that he gets into rhythm and let's see where we're at then. If we do end up going with Dombo....it won't be the worst thing in the world and we're looking awfully solid on the line in spite of our injuries. Hardwick also looked better than I would have expected last night.

so....what say you?....Should we stick with whats been working pretty well for the past 5 weeks....or should we try to be even better up front in the trenches for the playoffs at the risk of possibly messing with the cohesion of the current group?

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    John Runyan is a big bad *** dood.

Play him

:tup:

3. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I am with you, play him extensively against the Skins see if he is ready for playoff intensity. He has so much experience, ya figure it could only help.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yeah. The dude's a savage, he'll definitely only bolster up the line.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I definitely want to see him play a big role next week vs the Skins. The more familiar and comfortable he is with our offense the better. :yes:

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I think he will play at least half the skins game...

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I think Dombrowsky has earn the right, thru his play, to play in the playoffs

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Saturday, December 26, 2009

Runyan gets reps

Jon Runyan got some much-needed work at right tackle, his first extended action since signing with the Chargers last month.

“Seeing as it’s been 11 months since I played,” Runyan said with a laugh.

Brandyn Dombrowski has started five games in place of Jeromey Clary, who was placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury. Runyan worked a series in the first and third quarters before permanently coming in when Turner made a mass substitution in the fourth quarter, moving Dombrowski to left tackle, putting in Dennis Norman at center and Tyronne Green at left guard.

9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Yep.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Runyan will see the field a lot in the Was game. Bank on it. He needs the time.

11. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I say play the guy he is nails on the O-line.:tup:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not saying this to be nasty, but I don't care if D-ski has earned a right to play or not. Whoever gives us our best shot to win gets the snaps. Play Runyan next week to evaluate him. If he looks better, he goes. If not, it's D-ski.

This is about winning, not holding hands.

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Whatever helps the team -- I'm sure that's what this team is about right now, we know of the opportunity that's presented.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :yes:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    that's priority one. If that means Dombrowski (who I agree has done marvellously and earned alot of respect) then so be it. But if it means Runyan put him in there.

Ironically Dombrowski's ability to fill in everywhere almost makes me want to keep him in reserve as the first fill in. We don't have any other backups who have that ability or that game experience. I don't have as much confidence in Norman or Ty Green or any of our other backups. For that reason I'd start Runyan at RT from here on in.

16. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    :tup:

I watched Hardwick blocking like an animal vs Titans. If Runyan gives us more of that intensity, aggression and intimidation then he's the man.
    Norv will make the right call.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If Runyan is ready to play three or four quarters I'd like to see him played. Long term, Norm and AJ need to know if he still has enough in him to make him worth a season or two on a contract. D-ski needs to play some to stay sharp, but we need a good look at Runyan so we can see if we can develop more of a running game than we have. Getting Hardwick back has already helped us in that regard, especially down close.

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    He has already stated that this will be his final season regardless of what happens. He is going to run for office next year.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I say Runny goes in the playoffs, nothing against Dbro but experience is the key. The O-lines future is looking up and so is the D-line with Martin, Johnson and the revolving door we've had.

Adding more beef might be easier than first thought if these guy's continue to grow and get better. TJ is a former 1st and V Mart could very well turn out to be a ringer. Things are definitely looking up, for down the road with the way these young guy's have performed this year.:tup:

20. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The knocks on TJ has been his work ethic and character. Remember, he was the one who belittled Trent Green after sustaining that terrible concussion.

However, he has not only kept quiet on our team, but has been money plugging the B-gap against the run and has really held his own against good O-linemen. For a 5th, he is an absolute steal of a player.

And although I agree that OG and V-Mart both have a lot of upside as NTs and that OG in particular has looked good in a limited role, you have to give Scott a LOT of credit for being a stalwart fill-in--he is an undersized nose, but he is not being dominated by any means.