1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Okung wants guaranteed contracts for players. Political dude.

Discussion in 'American Football' started by Gill Man, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,041
  2. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +376
    Go Russell go. I hope they end up abolishing the salary cap over this. These players are risking their lives, they should get guaranteed contracts. Absolutely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +783
    Of all the major sports, the NFL screws the players the most. If they're smart, they'll strike.

Perfect timing for pressure on Stan and the Weasel. With the AAF, definitely the XFL, offering minor one year contracts for out of work NFL stars, it'd work.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard FORMER Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +1,811
    I have no issue with guaranteed contracts, but if they get rid of the salary cap get ready for a landscape like MLB where a handful of teams just buy everybody, and the rest have to tank and hope for a small window of opportunity. MLB is great for the players but terrible for fans, unless you like one of the big checkbook teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +376
    Also bad for Spenis, who despite the “benefits” of playing in LA will still be unable to compete.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +783
    The NFL may 'share' a salary cap same for each team but it's the ones with huge stadiums who can make money 'outside'the already millions in TV money.
    —-
    (Dated)

The Cowboys are the NFL's most valuable team for the 11th straight year and the world's most valuable sports franchise. America’s Team is worth $4.8 billion, up 14%, with profits of $350 million thanks to a booming merchandise business and the revenue opportunities at their new practice facility, The Star.

The Cowboys generate more than $150 million annually from sponsors. Owner Jerry Jones revolutionized the sponsorship template in the NFL two years after he purchased the team in 1993. He secured agreements with big brands Nike, Pepsi and American Express tied to his stadium, instead of the team, to get around the NFL's control of sponsorships for clubs. Lawsuits flew before Jones settled with the NFL, and a new era was ushered in with teams actively selling sponsorships. The NFL’s 32 teams generated $1.4 billion in revenue last season from sponsorships, ad signage and stadium naming rights.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  7. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +545
    The salary cap helps to keep the playing field level so it needs to remain in effect.

There is no way that NFL contracts should be guaranteed precisely because of the risk of injury. Even great players are just one unfortunate play away from not being able to play any longer.

Also, fully guaranteed contracts allow the players to go full Gaither (take the money and not play over the slightest alleged injury). Dead money would rise.

The contracts would have to be shorter and cheaper because of the risk that comes with fully guaranteed contracts. The salalry cap for active contracts would have to be significantly lowered to account for all of the guaranteed money payouts for inactive players.

Rules would have to be adopted for the accounting of the long term dead money such as possibly liberalizing the ability of teams to accelerate or not accelerate such contracts depending upon the choice of the team otherwise the guaranteed dead money could be pretty crippling.

Pass.

8. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +376
    You state many of the reasons why I hope it happens. But the main reason is these guys are risking their lives and deserve every penny they can get their hands on before they go mad and/or die young.

9. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,041
    I hope Russell Okung's labor campaign causes Dean Spanos and his sons to regret ever signing him......lose sleep, get ulcers, hemorrhoids, and generally end up cementing themselves as the least competitive ownership in the league. I hope he convinces the entire Carson roster they are slaves and ruins team morale for good :laugh:

Ever attend a practice and see the players sweating blood and tears and killing themselves on the field while Dean drives around in a golf cart observing? I wonder what goes thru Russell's head when he has to endure that humiliation? :eek: It's the modern day sports version of a plantation owner:D

10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +545
    I agree that football is a very dangerous sport that can produce horrible physical/mental results for players. It is unfortunate for the players that the very risk you speak of serves to drive down the guaranteed money that is being offered. But as long as that risk is the case, I do not see owners converting contracts at the current financial level to 100% guaranteed contracts.

11. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +783
    Your NFL owners. In living color.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,984
    Same old Bullshite, different day by the loser club.

13. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +783
  14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,984
    It will never happen unless the player's union can supply injury insurance to lighten the burden in a very high risk business, on their own dime of course.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..Go Any SD Team, Go Raiders Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +1,984
    I hate guaranteed contracts in sports. But in this case I hope it happens for NFL players. Force Spanos to sell!

16. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +743
    Guaranteed contracts should be the law. The NFL shouldn't have a say in the matter. Rich people make up the rules though so I don't get a say.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +743
    Lighten the burden for those poor billionaire owners who run a monopoly that mooches off taxpayers.

Screw people who get hurt on the job and are guaranteed brain damage.

18. LABoltFan

LABoltFan Bunker Transplant

Ratings:
    +240
    Im going into my boss right now to demand a guaranteed contract also. I'll let you all know how that worked out!

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,984

Do you actually believe it is only the NFL that screws injured workers? You are not worth my time, buh- bye!

20. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,250
    don't most of these players get million $ signing bonuses? those are pretty guaranteed

that said

FUDEAN

21. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +743
    You had enough time to put words in my mouth and, again, try your best to insult me. I don't mind jackasses - I am one myself. But I don't understand what I have done that has hurt you so badly.

22. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +743
    How did it go?

23. LABoltFan

Ratings:
    +240
    He said I was about to hit free agency if I didn’t get back to work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,041
    That's his specialty, don't you know?;)

25. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +743
    Did you mention you got hurt on the job? Does he know that studies show that nearly 100% of people in your position suffer brain damage and that a class-action lawsuit is almost certainly on the way? Has he heard of OSHA?

26. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +376
    How does 100% of people in his position suffer brain damage? Do the stacks of frozen hamburger patties fall on each McDonald’s employees heads?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  27. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +743
    I was seeing if his job was similar to a football player, which is what I thought we were talking about. Sorry if I went off course.

28. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +783
    Chainny...

There is no way that NFL contracts should be guaranteed precisely because of the risk of injury. Even great players are just one unfortunate play away from not being able to play any longer.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————-

They are —right now—guaranteed because of injury. Thus, if the Bucs QB Winston plays this year, gets hurt, he's guaranteed his $20.9 million dollar 2019 contract.

Despite the claims of this or that free agent five year contract with a team, it,s mostly smoke.
    Owners simply don't want to guarantee money to a high skilled player in years that they can get a cheaper, younger player.
    Thus, players who are playing well in years 3 and 4 can be released for cheaper beef. Plus, you recall the offset language contracts? Again, simply owners wishing to save money, not pay fully what was agreed upon.

QB Kirk Cousins of Minnesota is the only player with a 100% guaranteed contract.
    Plus, owners have in the the CBA to allow them to keep, for themselves, all and any relocation money, it is not consider 'revenue' to the team salary cap. Pure cream off the top.

If you can build a $5 billion dollar stadium and pay a team for 2.65 billion dollars.....you can afford guaranteed contracts. Their greed simply won't allow it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. LABoltFan

Ratings:
    +240
    Sound like a Burger King employee with a grudge. Go back to holding your pickle.

30. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +743
    I just got the joke. Good one.