1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Leaf in pain?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by !~BOLT~!, Nov 5, 2008.

1. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Apparently he was asked to leave practice after allegedly asking a player for a "pain pill."

That's just awesome Ryan, just when the world was about to be reminded of your turkey guzzling self as we celebrate Thanksgiving, you show up in print a few weeks early.

Just saw this on Espnews, will post link when it shows up.

2. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
  3. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Words like "Pain" and "Leaf" seem to just go together IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
  4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    The West Texas A & M athletic department hasn't had an official comment yet, but they also said they weren't sure if Leaf would still coach at the university after this gets sorted out.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Ryan Leaf, the ultimate failure.

6. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Denver's new version may be next.

7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
  8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Ryan Leaf the legendary NFL quarterback bust, was placed on leave today from his position as quarterbacks coach at West Texas A&M. ESPN's Joe Schad reports that the suspension came after Leaf asked one of his players for a painkiller.

Presumably Leaf was asking for something a little stronger than Tylenol or Advil. What isn't known is how the incident came to light. Did somebody overhear the question? Did Leaf get a guilty conscience? Did the player narc on his coach?

The latter seems to be the most likely. I'd imagine it has to be a little strange to play for Ryan Leaf. Anytime the coach critiques a player, the kid must be thinking, "Dude, you're Ryan Leaf. What can you tell me about quarterbacking? I was at that game when you went 11-26 with two picks and threw a pass that hit your center in the thigh. And you're telling me to 'keep my wits under pressure.' Just like you did when you flipped out on that reporter, right?"

Leaf, who also coaches the school's golf team will be on leave "indefinitely."

If the incident is true, it's not too surprising. After all, Ryan Leaf never was very good at trying to score.

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Ryan Leaf the "worst QB to ever start an NFL game?"

I know it's fashinoable to bash Leaf, but that's silly.

Maybe biggest bust, worst first rounder, whatever. But basically they are saying start a game, so that would include all QBs who ever started one game. I'm sure there have been several players to start a game who were worse than Leaf.

10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

Agreed, I am sure there are qb's that have started a game whose career qb rating is lower.

There have to be a shitload that have thrown int's and no td's or worse td int ratio than rl.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    This story just keeps getting better & better!! :lol:

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/11/06/leaf.drugs.ap/index.html

DALLAS (AP) -- Police in the Texas Panhandle are investigating a minor drug allegation made against former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf, who this week was placed on leave from his job as an assistant football coach at West Texas A&M.

Canyon police Chief Bobby Griffin says the investigation is in its preliminary stages, but confirmed the allegation was that Leaf obtained a controlled substance by fraudulent means.

"We are trying to determine whether anything like that happened," Griffin said. "There is not enough information or facts to say we have a crime being committed or not."

Leaf did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press and Griffin said the police have not interviewed him.

"Some allegations have been made and some rumors are flying around. We've been asked ... to look into it," said Griffin, who declined to say why police began the investigation.

Leaf, a former Heisman Trophy finalist who led Washington State to the 1998 Rose Bowl, is the quarterbacks coach and men's golf coach at West Texas A&M in Canyon, about 20 miles southwest of Amarillo in the Texas Panhandle.

On Wednesday, West Texas A&M athletic director Michael McBroom said he and Leaf met Sunday and agreed the ex-quarterback should take a leave of absence. McBroom declined to say why Leaf is on leave and when or whether he would return.

This is Leaf's third season as quarterbacks coach at West Texas A&M, which is 9-1 heading into its final regular season game. Quarterback Keith Null has completed nearly 68 percent of his passes and has 36 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. The team's passing offense ranks first in the Lone Star Conference.

Leaf was taken second in the 1998 draft behind Peyton Manning. He retired after four seasons, better known for off-field outbursts than on-field play. He finished his career with 14 touchdowns and 36 interceptions.

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm still in pain from that era, but isn't a drug on earth that can make me forget the Leaf.:icon_twisted:

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Pain Pill? Cryan Ryan WAS (and still is) a "painpill"!!!!! Or actually just a "Pain" (in the arse....)

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    and there you have it

After taking leave of absence, Leaf resigns as West Texas A&M assistant

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3687055

CANYON, Texas -- West Texas A&M quarterback coach Ryan Leaf has resigned, the school announced Thursday.

Ryan Leaf was in his third season as quarterbacks coach at Division II West Texas A&M.
    Leaf, who also served as the school's men's golf coach, has been on a leave of absence for personal reasons.

"Coach Leaf offered his resignation this morning, which I accepted," WTAMU athletic director Michael McBroom said. "He does not want his personal issues to become a distraction to the players that he has coached for the past three seasons.

"I wish Ryan all the success in the world. He's been a part of our family for the past three years and it's always hard to lose a member of your family. But we will move on and so will Ryan Leaf."

Offensive coordinator Scott Parr will coach the quarterbacks for the remainder of the season.

Jimmy Jameson, former WTAMU golfer and the husband of women's golf coach Meredith Jameson, will become interim men's golf coach. A national search will be conducted next spring for a permanent replacement.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol:

Awesome.

Suck it Ryan you douchebage.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hell yeah. That POS single handedly destroyed this franchise and set us back for years! The only good thing is that because he brought this franchise to the absolute bottom of the barrel, we got to rebuild this franchise eventually, which led to getting a guy like LT in the future. I know we shouldn't kick a man while he's down but he freakin deserves it. Frickin loser......

17. pied-piper

pied-piper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3

I love that attitude. Seriously, what Ryan Leaf did to this franchise was sow an amazing seed for the future. You have to look at it that way or you'll go gray and lose hair thinking about him.

I actually have a strange fascination with Ryan Leaf,...like pity. I grew up in Northern British Columbia so all I watched growing up was Cougars and Huskies games. He was amazing. That's the thing that blows me away,...just how far he fell. I look at him sort of how a history prof would look at some ancient civilization,...the would ofs, should ofs, and could ofs. I am likely in the minority.

I don't know what he'll do now or the next silly thing we'll be reading about him, but Mr. Ryan Leaf,...rest in peace.

18. ElectrifiedTroy

ElectrifiedTroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I shortened the quoting. Because, I just wanted to say that despite how much I can't stand Ryan Leaf. Not just because he set back the Chargers. But, even more so due to his attitude. I also feel a little pity for him. I hope he gets his life straightened out. Again, I can't stand him. But, I don't like kicking people when they are down.