1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mathews arm brace???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 4, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Anyone have any clue what that giant pad/brace was about?

And no I don't believe it had anything to do with holding onto the ball.

2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    They said that he fell a "certain" way in practice and thus the arm brace.

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    On the injury report on Friday it said Ryan Mathews (elbow) practiced in full... so I guess something happened on thursdays practice

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I seem to remember Cooper wearing a brace much like that throughout the 2009 season. I hope the injury isn't serious.

5. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    The way he ran and no turn overs, Please keep wearing the brace!

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yea Coop had a black brace, but it wasnt nearly as long or thick as that RM one. I can only guess it is a newer/different needs kind of brace. Any nurses/med students in the house??

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Haven't heard of anything with his arm, I'm just going to assume its precautionary

8. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I think he's prepin for Oaktown he's got a shiv in it.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He suffered an elbow injury in yesterdays game.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He had it on before the game started. In his very first carry.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
  12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Maybe it's turf elbow...

Pointy

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Deffinatly some good photos there just finished adding them to the HD. The first one I like to call Hi MOM!

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Faider Nation better get a good look at those pics since MT and RM are going to tear it up Sunday I predict. Their run D is last in the NFL (see Oakland Raiders Football Clubhouse - ESPN) I think and their interior run D (or lack thereof) is bad too. I predict it's going to be a serious ground and aerial assault on Faider Nation this Sunday!

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He was testing this new bubble wrap injury preventer. Next week his entire body will be wrapped in it.

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Maybe it's a little bigger/longer to allow the ball to be held easier in that arm. I do remember seeing him carry the ball in that arm which seemed weird and or awkward. I'm thinking the ball gets snuggled in there nice and comfortably.

17. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I see the Chargers are now saying they are easing RM into the lineup. So much for filling LT's shoes and making him look like a washed up has been.

Nevermind that I have a question.

If MT never lets up his assault as a good RB, where does that leave RM? Will they force him into the lineup because of all the hype or will he stay at #2?

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    As a Chargers fan I have to say that is a win win, so what is the problem? If Tolbert continues to Shock and Awe, and Matthews has to wait for his chance so what? We still have Tolbert knocking it out!

19. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Trading up to draft a #1 RB to play second string is not a win.

They made bold promises about this kid, put all sort of pressure on him comparing him to LT and he might turn out to be our 2nd string RB behind a FB we already had. I see a problem with that. Instead of trashing our HOF legend to hype up this kid they should have just said they were going to ease him in to begin with. Sounds like someone overestimated his value.

And I'm not hoping he tanks, I'm just asking about talent evaluation, draft pic expectations and making comparisons to HOF's with rookies. This whole situation was handled horribly from top to bottom and the poor kid is now being hidden from all the pressure.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hmmm... So four games into the season you are ready to call Mathews career a failure, and the trade a bust...

Ummkay.

21. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I didnt say that Conc. LOL.

I'm just saying maybe, just maybe, not everything is working out the way the guru planned. He trashed LT, jumped up the board to get RM and 1/4th the way in our FB is our starter. Just sayin.....

And your right, it's a great position to be in to have Tolbert emerge on top of the promise of RM.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well, RM could still prove to be all that and a bag of chips. he has shown the ability, has the build and speed to be a great RB. Will he be? Only time will tell. But it is the media and the fans that make the comparison to LT. That is not fair to RM, he will never be LT, and I dont want him to be, he is going to be RM, and has the tough duty of following a legend. That is not his fault.

I was way fine with AJ moving up to take him.

23. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Correct me if I'm wrong but he did start the year and got injured? What they are saying NOW is that they are going to ease him him because of the injury. That's the beauty of having someone like Tolbert, he is filling in as needed until RM is totally healthy. Why risk getting him aggrevating the injury more by rushing him? What you are doing is twisting what they said by making it seem as though they are easing him in from the get go which is not the case.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Agreed. At first I didnt want a RB in the first at all. I wanted us to go for 2 backs one in the 2nd and another like Jahvid Best later in the 4th or 5th. I also wanted Sproles to be gone thus the need for 2 backs.

What sucked for this years RB class, about 90% had a college injury or were coming off a injury going into their last season. RM was about the only RB that didnt have major injury concern comming out in this draft. I still didnt think we needed him or that he would last any better than the rest of the RB class. I still dont give anyone outside RM more than 7 productive years. Doubtful that those 7 years even come from the team that drafted them. I like RM to at least play a solid 7 before we have to worry about another RB. Feature backs are dead as FBs in team lineups. It isnt completly gone, but pretty soon it will be impossible to ever see a Feature Back that will carry the load 25 carries a game avg. *18 game Reg season*

It is completely cool that RM has the opportunity like MT*Micheal Turner* to jus work his way into game situations. MT *pinball* has earned his spot on this team year after year, and im not about to say he cant be the #1 based on circumstance. So what if RM has to progress longer and WORK his way onto the field, it is the way it is. Its not like we wont get a great Back out of him, being the best of his class.

Thank you again AJ! You pulled in RM AND you stole Cam in the 5th. I would have snagged Cam at 3rd. Wish that Butler was on the field. ;/

25. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    This season is his only chance to make an impact?

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its 4 games into his rookie season and your already trying to close the book? LOL You are like the ultimate reactionary fan.

The guy has been productive with every one of his touches this year (with the exception of the fumbles, which happened on 10+yd gains). He is far more explosive and talented than Mike Tolbert, but far more raw than we all expected. Norv is going to ease him into the starting role now, which is what he should have done in the first place. This guy has franchise back written all over him, which is why Norv is trying to protect his health and his confidence early in his carrer.

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    LEU will jump at any opportunity to bash A.J., so this is his latest.

28. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Fans that blindly love their FO dont keep them in check. If I have a lot of examples thats because theres a lot of examples. :)

4 games in this rookie hasnt done anything that the fans and FO said would happen immediately. If they didnt make bold promises followed by the bashing of a leaving legend I wouldnt have the expectations I do. Injured and fumbled twice already isnt looking good. I know I know.... 3-4 years for AJ's picks to develop. :)

29. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Please provide a quote where the front office said Mathews would immediately be a star. Maybe you could also show me where the FO bashed LT.

Dude, the majority of your posts take some kind of bash A.J. angle. It's like he slept with your woman or kicked your dog.

I don't blindly love the FO, but I remember what it was like when the team sucked most of the time and was drafting people like Jermaine Fazande or trading away picks for pretty much nothing. I am pretty happy that our current FO has had us in contention for most of the past decade. Maybe one day we'll show up for a playoff game without a bunch of key injuries, or our players won't step on their d*cks at the most inopportune time.

30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You know you are completely full of **** when you take a player who is 4 games into his rookie season and call him a bust because he has a couple fumbles and injured his ankle, especially when that player averaged over 6 yards a carry in his last game.