1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mathews from a Fantasy Football perspective.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ETicket, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Footballguys on Ryan Mathews, RB, San Diego
    "With LaDainian Tomlinson moving on to the New York Jets, the Chargers had a big hole to fill on offense. They traded up to get Ryan Mathews, the bellcow from Fresno State. Mathews is a powerful runner that can grind down a defense. He gets stronger as the game goes on, and can be the perfect back for San Diego when they want to nurse a lead in the fourth-quarter. Mathews reminds us of Green Bay's Ryan Grant because of his lunch-pail work ethic, heart, and determination. He'll need to improve his pass protection to stay on the field in passing situations, but Mathews can be used effectively as a receiver out of the backfield. His partner in the backfield will be Darren Sproles, and the diminutive runner should still have the same role he did last year. Mathews should be the top selection in rookie drafts, and in redraft leagues it wouldn't be a surprise for him to finish as a top 15 RB. He will be the featured runner on a team with a deadly passing game. The rushing lanes for Mathews will be big, and he should be able to take advantage of them because of his field vision and aggressive running style. Dynasty owners should fall in love with Mathews, and while we don't expect him to be the next LT, he could finish as a top 10 RB for years to come." :tup:

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    If he turns out to be a top-10 RB for years to come, I'll be very happy. :tup:

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58

i hope he is at least the next AP(minus the fumbles)

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I am not fond of having rookies on my FF team.

5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Ya well he will have to do it with less carries...Because clearly this team is NOT a run first offense.

6. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Risky, but in the late rounds he could be a good choice. Of course, if you're in a Dynasty League he'll be a first round pick.

Heck, now I'm ready for Fantasy Football drafts! :icon_banana:

7. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    ? AP didn't get that many carries last year bc of farve. We ran the ball almost as much, just not very well.

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Same, and then I put Chris Johnson on my team two seasons ago. Let's just say I didn't pass on LeSean McCoy after that and I probably won't pass on Ryan Mathews this season.