1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mathews & Knowshon Moreno: Compare and Contrast

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Rainman, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The Broncos got their *alleged* "RB of the Future" with the 12th pick of the 2009 draft, and the Chargers did the same in 2010 when they selected Ryan Mathews at that same spot.

Here's how EYE see the two stacking up--

Knowshon strikes me as being a complementary back. At 5-11, 210, he doesn't have either the size OR the speed (4.57) to be a bear-the-load type over the course of the season.

He's very adept as a receiver out of the backfield and is so shifty that he's difficult to bring down in one-to-one situations.

At 6-0, 218, Ryan Mathews is a power runner with good vision and the ability to choose the right timing for making the cut that puts him in the open field. Mathews will use speed (4.42) to blow past a defender, whereas Moreno has to rely more on moves to do the same job.

So, please... correct me if I don't have this right.

Any other similarities or diferences between the two?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Its hard to tell until we see Mathews against NFL competition. But I'd say the main difference is Mathews is (or will be) a far better inside runner, sometimes it seems like the game is moving too fast for Moreno.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, got to wait and see how matthews runs. Right now I'd say matthews will look alot quicker than moreno. MOreno looked kind of slow to me watching him last year.

4. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I have know idea. Didn't watch the Broncos at all. Can't stand those *******s.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No comparison to be made, but pure speed isn't the final word on a running back. From what I see, Matthews is an impact player from the first game, Moreno is a guy who will learn to run with time. Matthews will be an early producer, Moreno will improve with time. Moreno reminds of a former Chargers player whose career was cut short by injury-Don Woodson.

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    You mean "Don Woods", and if I'm not mistaken, on was the player the Chargers traded to obtain Ed White.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Knowshon was exciting but he didn't have much tangible results to show for all of the dazzle. He didn't get the short yards because he was too slow to hit the hole, but he was deadly in open space. As a receiver, he was downright ridiculous.
    We haven't seen Mathews against a pro defense but he's a much more straightforward rusher. He should have more confidence in short yardage situations where Moreno disappointed. THAT will make all the statistical difference. It'll also mean he makes an impact right out of the gate.

He's also get plenty of maneuvers that will come into play in the open field, but we'll have to see if he's translated them into successful ones at NFL speed. As a receiver, he wasn't asked to do it much in Fresno but the Chargers. com site says he's amazing in the passing game. We'll just have to wait and see. I know I'm giving it 8 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'll be one of Rynomite's biggest fans after that.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If I had my choice, Mathews would remind me of one Chunk Muncie. Brut strength and speed, what a dangerous combo for DB's in the NFL. :yes::tup::icon_eek:

9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    The 40 times referenced are off if you're like me and don't acknowledge the fake, hand-timed pro-day or unofficial times. Knowshon is super slow for a high first round RB with a 4.62 official electronic 40 time while Mathews is more prototypical speed at 4.45.

I think this is a case of the RB class in 2010 was far superior to 2009. Knowshon Moreno likely wouldn't have been picked in round 1 this year...and may have even slipped out of round 2. My observation at the NFL level is that, true to his timed speed/burst...the dude is not a breakaway threat at this level and is easily chased down by LBs who are often fast than he is....He also smaller in frame and not as strong. If Ryan stays healthy (knock on wood), there will be no comparison.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

He averaged 6.6ypc last year.:icon_eek: You rarely ever find that in a college back his size, ususally its the Reggie Bush type guys who just run around everyone. He's a thick 217, runs in the mid 4.4s, he's too big for DB's and too fast for LB's, and yet his best quality according to scouts is his vision and balance running between the tackles.:tup:

I'm so happy we landed this guy, not a chance in hell he'd have fallen too us at 28.

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If Mathews can catch as well as advertised, there will be about zero chance of shutting him down completely during a game.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    F*ck Denver

• Like Like x 3
  13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :yes::yes::yes:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Oops. You're right. Old Timer's disease strikes again.

15. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Hopefully, Ryan can hang on to the ball a lot better than Chuck Muncie did. :yes:

16. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I hope he take notes from LT, his hero, as LT never had a big fumble after his rookie season. Moreno's fumble changed the game when we traveled to Denver last year.

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Chunk was still exciting to watch and ball security will always be a factor for power RB's going for the extra yards.